Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Hi all! Brand newby with questions...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi all! Brand newby with questions...

Post by ediesbeads on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:51 am

Hi!

A quick intro...

I'm a jewelry maker, and sell jewelry supplies online.  I am creative, but have never really been a painter.  But I love kids, and love working with kids. I've taught jewelry making with kids for years.  I've been learning balloon twisting and thought this would be another skill to add to my bank of skills.

I am totally new to this... in fact I just got my first paints today!  I ordered the Snazaroo party kit from Amazon.  Made a decent looking little snake on my son's arm, and did a butterfly on my daughter.  Not good, but you have to start somewhere!

I've been reading the forums for about a week and checking out you tube videos.  

A few questions...

Does anyone use cosmetic sponges?  Just thinking about stuff I have laying around before spending more money..

The first thing I will purchase is a smaller brush.  The brush they send with the kit is WAY to  big for decent detail work.  Good brands for an inexpensive brush or set of brushes?  

Do you rinse between colors, or keep a brush for each color?  How do you handle that?

How many brushes, sponges, and other applicators do you use on gig?  Just trying to estimate the initial investment before actually doing this for money...

I've read the forums about top 10 faces etc.... but what are your favorite starter faces for newbies.  What are your EASY designs that kids still like?

Thanks for any input!

Edie
ediesbeads

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2013-08-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi all! Brand newby with questions...

Post by JennyNixe on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:59 pm

Welcome!

Cosmetic sponges do not work well for applying wet paint. They are useful for applying powder paints (Starblends, Lumieres, etc.). If you want to avoid buying a ton of FP sponges, get a big car wash sponge at your local pound/dollar store and cut it into triangle wedges.

Most of us use Taklon (synthetic) brushes rather than natural ones. If you go to your local craft shop, they should have an inexpensive Taklon assortment to get you started. At this point, you'll want mostly rounds, maybe a few flats and a filbert.

Rinsing between colors vs. dedicated brushes is an issue of personal style. Some people split the baby and have dedicated black and white brushes, but rinse for all other colors. Just remember, you need more brushes if you use dedicated ones.

I use a sponge per kid. I have about 100 FWW (green) sponge halves that I purchased twenty at a time from Metina. They're $7.99 for 10 whole sponges and I'd just add some to my order, then cut them in half when they arrived. Honestly, I probably use no more than 10 different brushes when I'm working, although I take way more. If you stick with it, you'll want an assortment of rounds, flats and filberts, plus specialized brushes for flower petals and fur. But you don't need them all at once.

Kids love tigers, Hello Kitty, butterflies and Spider/Batman. All of those can be done in a basic but still impressive version. If you get a chance, watch Lisa Joy Young's videos and Marcela or Heather's videos on line work. When you're starting out, simple designs with great line work are the way to go.

Good luck!

Last edited by JennyNixe on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Speeling)
JennyNixe

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2012-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ediesbeads on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks so much for the info! Now I just have to get my kids to cooperate. I did a not so great butterfly on my 8 year old and she doesn't want to wash it off so I can try again. My teen daughter is having nothing to do with it (maybe I can bribe her later), and my 11 year old son only wants arm art, nothing on my face MOM!

How hard is it to practice on yourself?
ediesbeads

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2013-08-15

Back to top Go down

ANOTHER NEWBIE!

Post by GroovyLu on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:49 pm

I am new also, but I found an excellent teacher in May and took a 3 day workshop, TOTALLY worth it! I use Wolfe Brothers and some Snazaroo if I'm in a pinch and some Fab and Silly Farm.  I wish I could do this every day, I love it so much.  I have booked a handful of jobs so far, and I did 2 fundraisers for free so I could practice, and that is valuable too.

Building my website, and honing my craft!

groovyfacesbylu.com

So glad to be here!

Lu:D Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

GroovyLu

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerie A on Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:15 am

Welcome ediesbeads!
Be sure to check out the Forum Face Paint Shop (it is at the top of the forum, right under the Summer Challenge, in the LITTLE rainbow-ish box!) if you think you are going to keep face painting.
Metina runs this forum plus she has that really NICE shop with Incredible FAST SHIPPING.

(No I do not get paid for saying this Wink  it is just that when I was new I did not see that box and the wonderful shop and noticed a lot of other new people don't either.)

Also please join us in the "Show and Tell" when you are ready to share (most people are shy at first, but it is a great bunch of encouraging people!!)

Finally, just read read read the forum some more...EVERYTHING is covered somewhere. If you don't find it in the search, use google and type in "Face Paint Forum" PLUS whatever you are wondering about...it is a much more comprehensive search.

Again, WELCOME!
Valerie A

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:51 am

cosmetic sponges are not good for snaz!!!I tried a few different brands...not good!!!

best bet is to cut up a big dollar store sponge...it is a little textured, but works much better....use it for your first few parties, then after you make $70, just buy a bunch of round artists sponges...cut them in halfs and thirds, and you'll be good to go!

I still use my cut up car sponges for bases and pretty eye designs-but the round artists sponges with high density make the best smoothest coverage for white bases.

Not to sound racist at all, but on white people, this isn't a problem with the car sponges...on black people, it's really important to use a high density sponge if you want smooth coverage with snaz white....again, not at all trying to sound racist at all. I am black-when I tried out my car sponges on myself, it did not go well...but when I tried them on my children's Caucasian friends, I couldn't even tell! so just keep that in mind, about the effect on different complexions using car sponges.
always good to have a few high density on hand, just in case.
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:58 am

my favourite design is the tiger!!!cheetah,leopard and lion Smile and kitty!

I just love them!!!

and I love love love spiderman! and a good scary hulk/monster/angry skull type face...

oh, and I love doing a rainbow arm with designs, butterflies, or jewelry.

I am still developing my own style, so for other designs, I will try someone elses first, then modify it to my own liking....the more you paint, the more you'll know what you like to paint or what you can do without...

and as for practicing-I recently invested in some foam sheets-20 for $1 at the dollar tree store.....totally worth it, just like painting on a face, only you don't need a face! very handy for when nobody wants to be painted but you want to paint!
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:06 am

sorry, still seeing questions!!!

personally, I use different brushes...I use them as I paint...I paint by request...so if they request something that requires lots of colors, i'll use a rainbow cake and a flat brush the width of whatever colors I need...so I have flat brushes ranging from a quarter inch all the way to an inch and a half!

for line work, I have everything from a script liner to a spotter for details, and every round from 0 to 10.

my favourite brands are the royal, and leow cornell and plaid...I just reach for them all of the time.

mostly I end up using a #4 or #6 round....when I first started, I thought I needed all of these tiny brushes, but after a few months of practice, I can do super thin tiny lines with a fat #6 round.....definitely invest in a leow cornell 7000 series #6 round and see how you enjoy it...it is by far my favourite so far....holds shape nicely!

I clean out my brushes and sanitize in alcohol and let it air dry....usually it is dry by the time the next kid sits down to be painted, so I only use about 7 brushes at any given time....but I have about 30 brushes, maybe more! never counted, maybe closer to 50, actually...I usually buy 3 or 4 at a time.but I rotate them out.....I use lots of sponges-a sponge for each face...so usually I only need one or 2 brushes per person for line work and details.
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top