Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Recommendations for my first split cake?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Recommendations for my first split cake?

Post by ediesbeads on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:33 pm

OK, I had some Amazon credit so I bought a set of brushes and both a black and a white TAG cake. I looked hard at the split cakes but could't decide which one would be best. What do you recommend for a first split cake? Colors? Brand?

Thanks!
Edie
ediesbeads

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2013-08-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Recommendations for my first split cake?

Post by Katurah on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:00 pm

First question, are you wanting one strokes (the skinny ones) or rainbow cakes (the bigger rectangular/circular ones)?
Katurah

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2012-03-12

http://www.katurahpaintspeople.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ediesbeads on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm

I was thinking rainbow cakes for making easier butterflies etc. Are the one stroke cakes the two color cakes?
ediesbeads

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2013-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Creabella on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:32 pm

No, you have them in multiple colors too. But the containers they are in, are smaller then the bigger (body) rainbowcakes.
I would advice the Neon rainbowcake. Especially if you want to do butterfly's for instance.
I used it at my first gig, and it was a big hit.
The container is almost empty! Very Happy

But any other combination would be nice to I think.
Creabella

Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2012-11-02

https://www.creabellafaceart.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneezle on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:07 pm

I love the Prisma Fleur from Mehron. Great colours for roses and leaves. You can use a brush (prisma brush 1 or 3/4) but also a sponge (ore pouncer). And i love to use the pink side for a prinses design or watermelon butterfly. I make accents with black and white and sparkling white glitter. And also one of my favorites is a smaller rainbow splitcake to make a one stroke rainbow.
Sneezle

Number of posts : 886
Registration date : 2013-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:11 am

My top recommendations for rainbow cakes are:
Neon Rainbow
Havana Sunset
Carnival
I prefer the rectangular ones to the round ones. TAG is a nice brand.
Kris5115

Number of posts : 741
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:47 pm

my favourite is called "twist" by paradise prisma (mehron)....I love it...I use it for everything, leopards, kitties, butterflies, arm designs, masks, crowns...

it is a creamy white/yellow color that looks golden, and then a series of pink, pale blue and purple...I use it as a rainbow cake, but also as a one stroke.

I was afraid it'd get uneven surface if I used it for one-stroke, but it turns out I use it so regularly that it is getting evenly worn on all colors Smile It's so great...makes great unicorns, cupcakes, icecream cones, pretty much if you can paint it, you can use this cake to do it.
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by JennyNixe on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:10 pm

On Amazon, I'd go with the Tag Euro Rainbow or the Paradise Prisma Flash. With both of them, you can use with a sponge to get the whole cake or with a flat brush to get a few colors. Tag Fairy Floss is also nice if you're looking for pastels.
JennyNixe

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2012-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Fish on Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:38 pm

I want all the cakes.
Other Fish

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2014-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by nadinesdreams on Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:21 pm

The two Split Cakes or "Base Blenders" that I use the most are the Neon Rainbow and Pearl Dream (pearl white/pearl pink/pearl purple). Smile
nadinesdreams

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2014-01-28

http://www.nadinesdreams.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:04 pm

I want all the cakes too! In f jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  afro act, I want to have my cakes and eat them too. Because they look like candy!

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:09 pm

I don't know why all my emoticons just got hyper and jumped into the middle of the word "fact" but in fact, they did! Maybe they are going all fairy-like and midsummer night's dreamy on me.

Anyway, let us try again, little faces. Here, in emoticon order, for perhaps the first time ever on the Forum, is every emoticon:  Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Shocked Cool Laughing Mad Razz Embarassed Crying or Very sad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink Exclamation Question Idea Arrow Neutral What a Face Like a Star @ heaven Suspect I love you No @ cyclops clown pirat tongue silent pale alien cat monkey pig rabbit bounce confused affraid Basketball cheers bom drunken Sleep sunny albino cherry santa rendeer farao king queen jocolor geek scratch study elephant flower afro lol! 

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Outinapout on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:30 pm

well, there are so many threads on split cakes, I'm just gonna post this on here since it's the most recent. Picked up a few one stroke TAG cakes- the pearl unicorn & dragon cakes- and played with them a bit.

Sooo...I think I figured out why I don't see a ton of people using pearl cakes- they're SO soft! I was using them indoors, in air conditioning, and still, I found it impossible to keep the teal strip on the edge from squishing up, and the entire thing from somewhat reshaping in the pan. It's pretty on, but I'm pretty concerned it's not going to last very long :/

At the risk of great embarrassment, here are a few pics (please keep in mind I'm a BRAND NEW painter, and these are really my first cracks at one-stroke)

My dragon is hopefully out of proportion, but at least it gives some idea of colors for those looking Wink

Outinapout

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2014-06-16

Back to top Go down

Looking for good quality moderately priced brand of split and rainbow cakes BESIDES TAG!!!

Post by glamourdollz on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:10 pm

Kris5115 wrote:My top recommendations for rainbow cakes are:
Neon Rainbow
Havana Sunset
Carnival
I prefer the rectangular ones to the round ones.  TAG is a nice brand.

I have to disagree. I dislike TAG very much the paint is very soft and squishy ( too liquidy) yuck always have to reform the cake and because of this have to spend too much time fussing with the cake to get a good rainbow blend. I am actually purchasing new supplies for my FP business and am wondering the same what is a good, reasonably priced brand and what split cakes color combos are most versatile ( besides rainbow and green to yellow one stroke)

Becky Hall
Owner & Operator
Wish Upon A Face

glamourdollz

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by poopitypants on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:13 pm

Outinapout- pff, you're probably undercharging for your services, those are looking good (:

Becky- I've never had that problem, that's weird! Tag's been good to me so far, even the split cakes. Now, their pearl line (I think they call theirs pearl) is harder to work with, but their regular colors have treated me well.

As for the thread's topic... Everyone loves the Neon Rainbow, I am head over heal for Fairy Floss.

poopitypants

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:43 am

I have not found TAG to be too squishy and I don't think I have ever had to reform them. I have some pearl colors, some neon, and some of the regular colors. The pearls require a bit more water and working than the regular colors.
Kris5115

Number of posts : 741
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by shama on Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:13 pm

50g split cake - I would recommend TAG Fairy floss - it consists of pastel colours or sunset which is quite striking and vibrant

one stroke - I would recommend a TAG rainbow (could be neon if you like) - this is a must for every kit I reckon - so easy to create a rainbow, literally takes 2 seconds it really impresses the kids and great for younger kids who can't sit still or are unsure about having you paint their face, you can do a quick rainbow on their hand
shama

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2014-06-13

http://www.facepaintmelbourne.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by eva on Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:02 am

I like the dfx neon rainbow. I think the tag neon is softer and I have issues with them in the hot months. I also like Havana sunset. I have a homemade Berrywine, neon magenta, white cake the girls love. other than those, I mainly use one strokes.
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top