Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Neighborhood children

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Neighborhood children

Post by DannyB on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Hello,

I have seen a few people mention that they paint neighborhood kids, how do you go about this, are you having them come into your home? Do you setup in your driveway on nice days?

I am not really sure how to approach either... I am new to the neighborhood so I don't know anyone...

Thanks Smile
DannyB

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-07-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Neighborhood children

Post by ediesbeads on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:28 pm

I haven't asked neighborhood kids yet.... I need a little more practice first. But I'm asking my friends kids to be models for me! Think of anyone you know with kids under 12 and see if they will help you out!
ediesbeads

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2013-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:14 am

I actually live on a dead end street, and usually I only offer when I see a bunch of kids outside already AND I have my paints with me AND I'm not busy....

for instance, after I have just left a party and been paid, but at the party all the kids wanted THE SAME THING...every single kid wanted EXACTLY THE SAME THING...lol, happens so frequently, unfortunately....

leaves me feeling like man.......I wanted to paint something else!!!

that's when I'll see the kids outside and i'll say "hey, do you guys want to get your faces painted?"
and they'll say "HEY, IT'S THE FACE PAINTING LADY!!!"

and i'll say "okay, i'll be back in a few minutes-here is my card, go give it to your parents to sign and bring it back so I know you have permission."

i'll go home, clean my set and get new water, and meet them at the dead end...sit down, set up, and paint!!!

I only paint the kids with permission, and if they didn't get the card signed, they will call their mom on the phone and I'll get permission that way.

it turns into a cool little party Smile

best of all, is that I set the rules....if too many kids are crowding, I tell them, "lookie here, kids....I'm only painting the boys first"...

that settles that.

and if all I want to do is practice one certain stroke or try out a new paint, or a new design, I tell them....they are very understanding Smile

nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:17 am

the only catch is I can't take pictures of them....well, I don't know if I can't...just seems weird...

like they'll go home and say "some lady came down and painted us, then took pictures.."

lol, just sounds weird...........
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyB on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:41 am

haha,

You could write on the back of the card

'please initial here if I have permission to take a picture of my work after'

Just a thought..

Thanks for the info! I guess I just have to become known as the face painting lady! haha
DannyB

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:47 pm

it only takes one time.lol...

they all know my name too...they always run the introductions for me when a new kid walks by...
I remember the first time I did it free was only one girl (the reason I did it free)...she saw it and was like WOW, you are GOOD!

then she stood up and started screaming "HEY, COME ONE, COME ALL, FREE FACE PAINTING, GET YOUR FREE FACE PAINTING, SHE'S REALLY GOOD AND IT'S FREE"

I was MORTIFIED.
LIKE OMG, NO SHE DIDN'T!!!

I was like "no no no no no no......this is only free this one time, do not tell people that."
she's like..."oh...okaaaaay....HEY EVERYBODY, IT'S NOT FREE...YOU HAVE TO PAY, IT ISN'T FREE BUT IT'S REALLY GOOD ANYWAAAAAYS!"

hahhhaaaaa.
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebons on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:57 pm

I don't think I'd have unknown kids in my home. As a mother I don't allow my children into anyone's home without me unless I know them very well; and if an adult I didn't know was inviting them in I wouldn't like it. Maybe just the garage with the door open (if you need shelter) until you get to know the families
Rebons

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2012-08-14

Http://happypaintedfaces.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veelux on Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:15 am

I saw a sign online one time - it said something like this "Free Face Painting" - Pick a face and have a seat- If you love it, tips are welcome, but if you don't like it, please remember it was FREE!
Someone had set up in a public park I think, just to get some practice. You can always leave out the tips part.

veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:45 am

i set up outside...like I said, it's a dead end street...so there is a set of stairs (that lead to nowhere.lol) and I just sit down on the stairs and open my laptop, put the water container in the open spot, pour a lil cup of santizer and paint til I have something better to do.

I would not feel comfy at all having kids at my house...or going to a strangers house...i'm also afraid of going to a park because I don't want potential clients thinking I work for cheap.....

I'd suggest finding a neutral area a good distance from your house and car....maybe bring a folding chair and "Tv dinner" folding table.

for instance, if the kids are all outside playing around a basketball hoop, maybe set up nearby. They will all stop playing just to watch their friends get painted.

when you paint the neighbourhood kids, they love to comment, critique, suggest...and compliment Smile

I don't bust out the whole kit either...just a roll of paintbrushes for variety, a few rainbow cakes, and my jumbo snazaroo palette, a small shaker of glitter...and a spray bottle and a bag of sponges.

for instance, if i'm just practicing Halloween stuff (like, I plan to go out this week to do free painting before school starts up), I'm only bringing some black, white, red and a cake with green, orange, yellow... and I intend to only try out some autumn/halloweeny type of designs. so that's what the kids get. if they don't like it, oh well! save myself some paint Smile and if they do like it, score-free design practice.
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyB on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:46 pm

Thanks guys

I will have to give it a try on Wednesday and see what happens Very Happy
DannyB

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyB on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:01 pm

I did it, three victims, was pretty good, they were really excited, and I got to see how quickly I could do the faces, it went well. Woop!

Thanks for the advice, I got them to have their parents sign a piece of paper with my details (don't have business cards yet, they are on their way though!) - thanks for the tip!

Very Happy
DannyB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:10 pm

I avoid painting neighbourhood kids completely. I don't want them getting the idea that I am here at their beck and call, and don't really want to get terribly friendly with the neighbours either. We've lived next door to twin boys for 8 years - since they were 3. I've never painted them.

I recruit models from co-workers kids and grandkids, or teens and kids I know from the theatre.

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyB on Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:57 pm

Hahaha

Believe me, I am not one for small talk so I often avoid neighbors when I can, but I have a birthday party with 35 faces tomorrow and... I have never painted anything near that amount of children and I recently have only painted my own face and legs, I needed an idea of how quickly I can put brush to face...

It worked out good though, my daughter now has her very first neighborhood friends...
DannyB

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 am

i've been thinking about using the meeting room at our local library and have a painting party explaining I am re-doing my signage, business cards, etc. invite kids and their parents, get permission for photo usage, provide a few refreshments, but instead of letting the kids pick the design, i'll put the names of designs i want to paint/photograph on slips of paper in a box and let the kids pull to see what they get painted. maybe have a box for girlie designs and another for boys and another box for non-gender designs. i don't want to get stuck painting the same design over and over.
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat on Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:03 am

Wow, that sounds like a great idea Luvs to paint! I just wish I had the confidence in myself to do something similar.. what a super way to spread the word and advertise yourself!! Hubby and I live in a semi-rural area.... no children where we are.. there was a family a few properties down from us who had children, but I didn't know them... now they've moved away and there isn't a child in sight!! I don't have any grand children yet either, so I'm a bit stumped for practice!!!

Anyway DannyB - I'm so happy it worked for you and those kids certainly look very happy with their beautifully painted faces!!! Well done!!!Very Happy 
ambercat

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2013-04-25

http://kathy232323.wix.com/kathys-face-painting

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:55 am

lol, i'm exactly the opposite-the coworkers and relatives are who I charge-i'll offer a discount at my discretion.

my neighbourhood kids on the other hand, are poor like me. I know 100% for a fact that they most likely will never be able to afford even the $30 for 4 hours lady on craigslist....that is why I paint them for free.plus they are super cute!and they keep an eye on my son too, kinda a free babysitter as I paint.
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by daphne78 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:06 am

I'm painting the neighbourkids quite often, it's fun because of the new designs they let me paint Very Happy

But I'm a mom.. all the kids know me very well, their parents now me very well, and I know them.
I don't paint if I don't have their permission to paint, they always have to ask (oke.. with two of them I don't do that, but I have permission to paint them when we, the kids and me, want to paint/be painted)

In oct. I have a birthdayparty in the neighbourhood, I gave them a big discount, also knowing about that they don't have a big income. But.....
Also knowing a lot of kids will show up that I can paint, and maybe other parties will follow after this one.
daphne78

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2012-08-22

http://daphneschminkt.webklik.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum