Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Using other people's designs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Using other people's designs?

Post by Annainohio on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:36 pm

Is it ok to use design ideas from the Internet, Pinterest, etc, for your business and website? Or does that violate the copyrights or the original face painters rights?

Annainohio

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-08-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Using other people's designs?

Post by Annainohio on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:39 pm

I meant is it alright to use pictures of your work, if the original design came from someone else. Obviously it isn't right to use a picture of someone's work that your calling your own. What about using someone's idea?

Annainohio

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sneezle on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:22 pm

I think i would change a few things and make it my own and then use it as my own design.
Sneezle

Number of posts : 886
Registration date : 2013-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Creabella on Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:21 am

Well, I am not really sure that is okay, but to be honest my display is full with designs I copied/edited from other peoples design...Embarassed 
But if people ask, I do tell them the designs are original someone else's design...
Creabella

Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2012-11-02

https://www.creabellafaceart.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:30 am

I start out with other peoples designs...but sometimes they are too advanced or simple, so I end up adding my own flourishes...

Really, I just borrow the parts I like, and leave the parts I don't....sometimes I just like the color combinations, or I like where they place their designs-like daizy puts her animal noses and mouths on the bridge of the nose....I like that detail.mark reid uses weird colors to make normal animals-so I borrow that idea too, making pink or purple animals instead of brown/gray versions.erica outlines her flowers after doing the basic double dipped petals-I like that too.margi creates the design on the forehead rather than incorporating the eyes-I like that too.
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebons on Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:33 am

Annainohio,
Oh dear. If you search using google (which I find works better than the bar up top), try facepaintforum.com: [topic], you will find a wealth of information. It's been a rather hot topic at times. Certainly any design from YouTube, in a book or posted as a step by step is fair game. Most artists will agree if you painted it, it's yours, however there are some who don't feel that way. Of course I'm talking about truly original designs. I think you should feel free with the standard unicorn, butterfly, kitty cat, puppy, tiger, etc...
This is in regards to your website and design board, absolutely no copying for competitions! Smile
Happy reading
Rebons

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2012-08-14

Http://happypaintedfaces.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:47 pm

It is ok to paint and use your image of a design from a book or source intended to teach you how to paint and thus how to paint that design. It is not ok to see an original design posted by another painter, then paint that design and post it on your website, business cards or other marketing material.

It may be certainly true when you go to change up your own design board that you fine your self painting that original design you saw, but here is your challenge to do the right thing. Change that design up, be influenced by it, but now make it your own. At the very least you can post inspired by, or taken from a design by Mary Smith....

But I advise against using others original designs in your public internet and printed materials as you then violate intellectual property law.

Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:23 pm

I agree....

you did say "Design idea"........for instance, the idea of an abstract fantasy tiger....a tiger with spots AND stripes, with focus on the muzzle, ala mark reid.....

if you paint your own version, there's nothing wrong with it..

if you sit there and copy his, stroke for stroke, and then tell people you invented it when they compliment it....well, that's just wrong.

there's no copywrite on ideas...if I have the idea for a flowy rainbow with flowers and sparkles, you can absolutely paint your own version.

But no, you can not take a master painters special rainbow and flower photo, copy it detail for detail-including the placement of their sparkles and flowers, and then claim it is your own.

-that being said, if you can paint it, it is yours. I find it hard to believe that mark reid is sitting in his mansion in an angry fury, punching pillows just because you perfectly recreated his original abstract fantasy tiger down to the last detail....if you can copy that well, you are an artist in your own right-a replica artist.
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyB on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:45 pm

lmfao @ punching pillows, what an awesome visual! hahaha cracked me up, thanks for the laugh!

hahaha
DannyB

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top