Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Keeping Tag paints nice?!?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Keeping Tag paints nice?!?

Post by Silver Storm on Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Rolling Eyes Hi guys im new to the forum and Im based in the UK, after some good advice really?

I have tag split cakes and one strokes but even though ive only used them a couple of times they are in a right mess, the paints really wet and sloppy and its really hard to load my brushes and sponges now, what am i doing wrong? Should I leave them to dry out after ive used them? I normally spray my brush/sponge with a water spray and then spray the cake also.

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance! I love you 

Silver Storm

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-08-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeping Tag paints nice?!?

Post by Jody Rife on Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi there Silver Storm. I use TAG all the time, I really like it and love the split cakes. It sounds like you may be using to much water. For the one stokes I wet my brush but then tap it on my towel or I just rake a bit of the water out of it on the side of my water basin before taking it to the cake. Gently go back and forth trying not to dig into the cake or press to hard, you can always go back and get a bit more water if it is still to dry.

I always leave my paints uncovered for a few days after I use them to let them air out.

I hope this helps, I am sure there is a thread on here somewhere about using one strokes, you can also check you tube or Faba tv. Smile
Jody Rife

Number of posts : 1725
Registration date : 2011-02-19

http://www.jodyrife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:12 pm

I took off all my lids permanently. As for getting rid of excess moisture, take a paper towel and just press it into your cake.it sucks up water but leaves the paint behind.....I was afraid I'd pull away a bunch of paint the first time I tried this on a soggy cake, but it works!
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by A New Face on Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:35 am

I press a clean baby wipe over the top, do not rub just press and lift and they stay looking like new
A New Face

Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2012-11-05

http://anewfacenikkiwalters.wix.com/anewface

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:35 am

same with a slightly damp sponge...
I would not use a baby wipe as you will get little lint type pieces off of the baby wipe use your sponge to clean your cakes.
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gaebell on Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:44 am

Do not use baby wipes for anything else but to wipe the paint off your hands, to pick up excess water in your cake, use a dry sponge, NEVER spray your cakes, this makes them all gooey and will make your rainbow cakes all muddy, leave lids off all the time if you have the cakes in a palette box , otherwise take the lids off when you get home, put the paints in a clean area to dry out, never place lids on wet paint , this may cause a bacteria to grow and your paints will be ruined.
gaebell

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-03-28

http://www.tagbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat on Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:33 pm

Do some TAG paints stay wet all the time, even after you have tried to dry them out? I'm sitting looking at a rainbow neon one stroke and a custom made split cake which have been out for a couple of days and they're still damp/wet to touch... I tend to put my lids back on... Is it okay to put the lids on when the paints are still slightly damp like this?

Also I'm wondering now about the baby wipe thing... I watched a Silly Heather youtube video where she advised cleaning your paints by laying a baby wipe down and pressing, not wiping...and I recall a kind member here suggesting the same thing a while ago... am I doing the paints damage by using this method as it does seem to clean the paints really well?
ambercat

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2013-04-25

http://kathy232323.wix.com/kathys-face-painting

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ on Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:50 am

When I use a baby wipe on the paint, I do notice the fibers getting into the paint. But a simple press and life may make this less likely.

Some of my paints appear moist even after several days with the lids off. This may have something to do with the humidity, I am thinking. Certain colors are worse than others.

I leave the lids off full-time. My paints are stored in a large flat tray with sides. After a few days of drying out, I may place a large cover over the entire tray, but I still leave a gap for air flow.

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ on Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:51 am

press and LIFT Very Happy  (see above)

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Tone on Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:29 pm

I'm no expert, but...
I use a baby wipe and press. Sometimes, pressing and rubbing back and forth on top of the baby wipe in the same direction as the paint helps cleaning up even better. Don't rub the baby wipe in the paint, but rub on top of the baby wipe (if that makes sense...?)
Tone

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Colourful Ame on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:43 am

Hi guys,
I leave my lids off my TAG paints full-time as well. They are in a pallet that I "engineered" myself since I couldn't find any pallets to fit the 90g paints. The pallet isn't air-tight so bacteria won't be able to grow if I just close my pallet quickly at the end of a gig (sometimes, you just have to STOP.. :S )
I clean my paints with fragrance-free baby wipes after every event (I have been doing this for about a year) and I haven't had any problems. Although, I know there are some of you who are a LOT more experienced than me and am happy to be corrected if I am making a mistake here!
Colourful Ame

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-09-02

http://www.colourfulevents.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by mamajane on Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:26 pm

Colourful Ame wrote:Hi guys,
I leave my lids off my TAG paints full-time as well. They are in a pallet that I "engineered" myself since I couldn't find any pallets to fit the 90g paints. The pallet isn't air-tight so bacteria won't be able to grow if I just close my pallet quickly at the end of a gig (sometimes, you just have to STOP.. :S )
I clean my paints with fragrance-free baby wipes after every event (I have been doing this for about a year) and I haven't had any problems. Although, I know there are some of you who are a LOT more experienced than me and am happy to be corrected if I am making a mistake here!
I would love to see your engineered pallet! I'm so annoyed that my TAG rectangles won't play nicely in mine.
mamajane

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2013-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:40 pm

Here's my 2 pallets open @ a gig. I also use both a hard pencil case w/attached lid for my FAB 18Gm & a plastic cookie container (lid off during gig) for extra solids & rainbow cakes. All my one strokes are on lower left. Most used solids on upper. On right, my Star Blends are behind my water & my 90 Gm black & white in front of water basin. The B/W are the only ones I cover. They fit nicely into that pencil box for transport. After a job, I rinse & wipe off my brushes, placing them in that plastic coffee mug & place a red solo cup over it (nice, tight fit) to bring home & wash. Keeping the most used solid cakes sitting right on top of the one strokes, I close up the 2 pallets, the cookie & pencil box...into my rolling bag & HOME. Nothing is airtight but the white & black. In Florida, it's been so hot & humid, I've been dripping sweat into my eyes while setting UP outside this summer! Most of the time, I've used much less water &/or Star Blends. HINT: Look on Denise Cold's Painted Party you tube channel for how to load one strokes. Watch how she wipes excess water off the brush on the sides of her water basin. If you need more water...just BARELY dip only the edge of your brush into the water. This will limit the water you bring to your one stroke.
Affordable Face Magic

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.affordablefacemagic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gaebell on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:45 pm

I suggest not to get into the habit of using baby wipes, most contain oils and other ingredients that will interfere with the paint, if you wipe the paint off your skin with most types of wipes you will notice a slight staining , this is because of the oils in the wipes pushing the paint into the skin. Most parents wipe their childrens faces with baby wipes, which have been known to create a red rash like reaction, then the artist and the paints get blamed! Read skin and face paint care on the TAG FB page. https://www.facebook.com/#!/TAGBodyArt/notes  My advice is do not add other ingredients to your paints, whether it be from wipes , disinfectants or brush wash. Smile 
gaebell

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-03-28

http://www.tagbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mamajane on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:07 pm

Thanks, Pat!
mamajane

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2013-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Colourful Ame on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:21 pm

(I haven't posted a photo before, so I hope that works)

This is my pallet, mummajane! I made it out of two A4 document holders/protectors which I got from Office Works [stationary/office store] for about $5 each. I then got 2 black stiff felt sheets (about $2 from Spotlight [craft store]) and cut them to fit into the case. I used heavy-duty self-adhesive velcro (from Bunnings [hardware store]) to secure the sheet to the case (one thumb-sized bit on each corner). Then I attached a small piece of velcro to the bottom of each colour paint. I put it on the bottom of the mix-cover so that when I need to replace the colour, I don't have to put new velcro on it - just screw the base onto a new paint. And I put the opposite part of the velcro (By this I mean that velcro has a soft part and a rough, grippy part) and put that directly onto the felt sheet to attach the colours where I wanted them to sit. Now they don't move at all and I don't have to worry about my 30g  pearl paints damaging each other when they are in the car.

You might notice that I have my covers on some of my paints - that is because I have been doing a few fetes recently and cover the colours I don't use too often there (like gold, silver, pearl red, and skin colour) just so there is less clean up in case it is a windy day and dust or whatever and then I just have to clean and sanitise less plaints (especially if I didn't even us them that day).
ALso, in my pallets my tiger base blender and the splitcakes that I have are NOT velcroed down because I am frequently taking them out and I hold them when I paint with them, and since the velcro is quite strong, I decided that I wouldn't velcro them down.
I do have a separate TAG pallet of rectangular splitcakes but I just bought a proper pallet for them, but these pallets only work if you only have splitcakes or 30g paints - they arn't high enough for my 90g paints.
Colourful Ame

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-09-02

http://www.colourfulevents.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top