Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Yes, yet another newbie

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Yes, yet another newbie

Post by Birdies on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:11 pm

In my defense I have not read every single one of older topics and posts. I was very excited today to get some glitter, skin glue, and a few colors of facepaint. I bought some stencils (not face painting, but in my first practice, I have been really disappointed with the face paints. I iked how fast the fake tattoos went though. I am giving one a test on me to see how long it will remain.

Two questions: has anyone tried busking to get practice? Just leave a "tip" box out, but not charge for the practice ones? How did that go?

I have some stencils (former teacher. When I tried to use them tonight, I ended up with blobs. I used the driest brush I could...blobs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Found the few paint containers at Hobby Lobby. I bought a blue, purple navy blue and white to begin with. They are Tulip brand. It could certainly be my inexperience but I am not painting with top notch stuff. If any one has suggestions one better ways to practice, I am all ears.

Thanks for keeping such great info in the archive. I have watched several videos more than twice and perceive some of the subtleties. Thanks in advance for those who are kind enough to reply.

Birdies

Birdies

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-08-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Yes, yet another newbie

Post by fesspenter on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:05 am

Welcome to the Forum, Birdies!
Where are you from?
If you go into your Profile above, and type in your location, it will be easier for face painters in your area to notice you.... and invite you to their Jams. At a Jam, you can look into other painters' kits and see the different types of brushes, sponges, paint and glitter.

Every painter has their own favourite brand of paint and brushes. The FacePaintForum has their own on-line store (in the colourful rectangle, just below the Monthly Challenge). The prices are competitive, and the shipping is FAST!

I have never used Tulip face paint, so I cannot give my opinion regarding that brand. I would recommend practice, practice, practice. Practice on your arms and legs, or on craft foam. Practice your tear drops, swirls and line work.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3333
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdies on Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:37 am

Thank you for the positive vibe. I appreciate that. Yes, I understand about practice. I have the cleanest thighs on the planet presently for doing some attempts at art and then wiping it all off to start again. I wasn't really expecting to be an instant artist, but I thought I could likely do a bit better than this. Ahhhh, the facepainter in my imagination can do soooo much better! Wink

I am just starting with the paint available here in the middle of ever loving no where. I have emailed several people about taking a class. One person at least responded. She said "busy season, no time for a class." I live about 65 miles west of Atlanta. In fact I live just a couple miles from the state line. There are folks that have accused me of really living in east Alabama! But, no kidding this is a very rural part of Georgia.

Of course everyone that can do face and body art is probably at Dragoncon this weekend. I am an avid camper, so am often roaming. I have a teeny, tiny camper, (her name is Zelda) and as often as I can, now that I am retired from teaching, I hook her up and head out. I have two grandchildren, girl 5, boy 8. I plan to inflict them with practice when I can do a bit better.

I would be happy to volunteer to be someone's gofer, or help in any way for the chance to observe some. I think just watching how an experienced person does their work would be helpful, and am happy to do scut work to help in some way in order to just have the chance to hang out. You have to "pay your dues" in every profession. I can do it with a smile on my face and a positive attitude. If there is anyone around the greater metro Atlanta area, or Anniston/Birmingham, or Rome who might be willing to let me be their helper, that would be fantastic.

You folks do some really remarkable art. I have been lurking for a few months and your dedication to excellence is very impressive. I have learned a lot from reading past threads. I know I have lots more to learn.

Thanks
Birdies. Smile

Birdies

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by stephen lewis on Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:42 am

Hi Birdies and welcome to the forum.
stephen lewis

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2013-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:10 am

Hi and welcome. I have one pot of silver Tulip paint and I really like it but use it mostly with a sponge. I don't do too much with stencils but when I do I find that to be the most successful, I use a barely damp sponge loaded with the paint and dab/bounce/pounce/pat rather than swipe/stroke.

Have you checked out any YouTube tutorials? There are some great ones from Lisa Joy Young, Denise Cold / Painted Party and more.

Here is a thread where people talk about their favorite youtube tutorials:
http://www.facepaintforum.com/t11285-who-s-your-favorite-youtube-facepainter

Happy painting.
Kris5115

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top