Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Haunt Question

Go down

Haunt Question

Post by anniel on Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:05 am

OK, for those of you who do Haunts:
I am thinking of using something more along the lines of powders for zombies this year.'
(along with Wolfe, which has always been my go to.) We don't use prosthethics, as we're cranking the actors fast--@ 5 minute each, but with team of 4, it still takes us about an hour and a half. I was thinking of mica/oxides from CS--and brushing on bases and contouring. I am thinking (after using just black alone for shading the last couple of years) that if I mix it with a filler, I would have more brushability (and get more color control)/ Would it have durability? Would it still be adequately zombified after 4/5/6 hours in the field? (Do I want/need to use a sealer afterwards?) Also--what would I want to ideally use as the mixer, since there are so many available? It just seems doing it out of the box would be faster than starblends, and cheaper--any feedback?
What a Face 
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Haunt Question

Post by Miss Ronnie on Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:10 am

Dear anniel,

I use my Starblends completely different than others do (even my wonderful pal, Denise.)

I made my Starblends into loose powders and they go on very smoothly and are more opaque this way. Plus, I am able to mix and blend colors this way.  I use a variety of different colors for zombies because there is no set rule.  After all, each zombie should be in a different state of decay and putrification because each "died"  under a different set of circumstances.

I still apply the loose powder with smoothie blenders and lollipop sticks.
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:37 pm

That was my inspiration, but since these kids put this on night after night year after year, (& me too, as a cancer survivor) I was hoping to find a bit more natural solution.

Here is the ingredient list for Starblends:
Talc, Zinc Stearate, Mineral Oil, Stearic Acid, Lanolin, Cetyl Alcohol, Triethanolamine, PEG-12 Laurate, Mineral Spirits, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77489), Ultramarines (CI 77007), D&C Red 6 Barium Lake (CI 15850), D&C Red 7 Calcium Lake (CI 15850), FD&C Yellow 5 Aluminum Lake (CI 19140), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288), Manganese Violet (CI 77742)
anniel

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:43 pm

At the haunt, there are certain looks I do with brush and sponge, but mostly we're doing airbrush with a water-based highly concentrated paste-type paint. We have some powders, mostly Ben Nye, and a few star blends, but I don't think we reach for those often.

For us, depending on the which room the actors are in, powders just aren't high contrast enough in the short time the public sees their face. In other, well-lit areas, we can tone down the contrast and get detail going. Even then, we're doing a lot of build ups with both prosthetics and homemade stuff like cotton and latex.
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:51 pm

Holy Schmoly, anniel.... that's a lot of hard-to pronounce-so-why-bother-trying-ingredients. Not that I know anything about chemicals at all... but I sure wish the ingredients just said "finely ground unicorn's horn" and then I'd feel much better! Laughing 
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:29 pm

There is nothing natural that will have the staying power and scare imact a haunt needs. Ditto what Julie notes. The CS powders are not going to have the umph and impact you want. SFX makeup, along with face and body painting and theatrical makeup have fixers in them and richer pigments.

Starblends are only used in my FX kit (not for face painting) but I use them a few ways. They are great for Zombie Walks but not Haunts.

All the big haunted attractions use airbrush. But that is not an option for everyone. They also use a lot of alcohol-activated cake makeup.

I am working with a haunt where the actors have been doing their own makeup. And having your volunteers to some of the work is essential to your speed issues. They can lay down a base, add their own setting powders, sprays..apply blood...

A good haunted house/attraction experience for makeup artists comes in good planning, than comes the actual makeup products. This way the actor know the look you expect, and can add in veins, blood ect as you have planned...not as they happen to want that night.

For Zombies I would do Wolfe face paint a Monster, a Skinz and some Essential colors OR Kryolan FX Wheels, a Bruise, Burn & Injury, a Zombie and a USA Concealor / Flesh.To pop up and colors you can mix the Starblends with your Translucent Powder. I use Mehron's Setting Powder with Antiperspirant on top the Kryolan.

When use setting spray I use this under the makeup. I use Kryolan Fixing Spray.

The thing about the FX Wheels is you need not be as exacting as water-based cake makeup, even airbrush makeup. You can move the FX cream around, apply with finger tips and make some really killer, fast, zombie FX looks.

With the FX wheels you can also use Wolfe paint over the powdered makeup, or you can use alcohol-activated cake makeups like Kryolan Body Illustrator aka BIC or use quality liner pencils. Kryolan's red, black, and blue pencils are musts in my kit for fast veining, for Zombies I add in a white one to line wounds for depth.

Toss in Kryolan Fresh Scratch with volunteers can do themselves and you are pumping out fast faces.

For a few key actors use Zombie Skin. latex and tissue (cheap but time consuming), Wolfe Silicone or silicone, even Mehron or Kryolan 3-D gel effects...heck you can even use FX wax....what you use here may be based on what you use overall (silicone and gel color differently)...but some hanging zombie skin is always a good thing!

Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:10 pm

Loretta & Gilded Cat-- Thank you so very much for taking your time to answer so thoroughly!!

Got airbrush artists already on board the past 2 years--but I am still plugging away with sponge & brush (I am technically challenged).

Talked to Joe yesterday, Loretta--Zombie-Skin is on the way!! (Thanks!)

Have always used Wolfe & brushed black oxide/mica around the eyes eyes (getting Wolfe Black off 4 nights a week around the eyes was a pain for boys not wanting to go Emo all week..hehe.

I was planning on more Kryolan bruise & burn wheels this year, so I appreciate the confirmation on that! Hadn't thought of Fresh Scratch...

Don't know that I really really want to hand out makeup to actors (except the older ones) to apply--just the amount of blood they go through each year is gorey!!

Appreciate the tip on veining as well!!

(Ronnie--I did a cut & paste--won't catch me spending my week typing that list! BTW, reading a book on "Unicorn Lore"--if I could just add some powdered unicorn horn it would negate the toxicity of anything...when I locate it, I'll send you some for your Stablends!)

anniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down