Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

My first "gig" (and thanks)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My first "gig" (and thanks)

Post by Tone on Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:58 pm

I've been lurking here for a while, and just wanted to say thanks fore very thing I've learned. I'm not sure how today would have gone if I hadn't done any research in here. So thank you!

Today was the first time I painted in public. I volunteered for a church event, and ended up painting 10 kids and 3 adults over about 3 hours. So it wasn't super busy, but that suited me very well since I'm not that quick.

Lessons learned:
I could have managed with half the paint, just fine.
On the other hand, people were impressed by the size of the kit (if they only knew that wasn't even half of it)
Painting on my self or a practice head, is much easier than painting on wriggly kids.
People are impressed even if I'm not. With the first client (princess), I thought my line work was a total mess, but the mother and the daughter loved it.
People are impressed that I'm able to paint on myself using a mirror.
Painting myself was a good way of attracting people to my table (I didn't have time before it started, did it in a quiet period -  and people gathered around).
Girls like glitter
Some boys also want glitter.
Paint works different on children's skin than on adult's skin.
I wanna do it again!

When I was wrapping up, I was asked if I could do a birthday party. She was going to call me, so maybe it will happen...
Tone

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

Re: My first "gig" (and thanks)

Post by DannyB on Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:02 pm

Very Happy Congrats, I am glad it all went well for you!
I agree, without this place I probably would have thrown in my brushes, so much information and awesomeness lingering throughout these pages.
DannyB

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by veelux on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:03 am

Good for you, sounds like you had a good time.
veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:32 am

Sometimes I get boys to take glitter by re-naming it. Do you want some stars in Bat Hero's sky (above the mask). Would you like some natural shine on your snakeskin? I'm getting about a 75% return on "yes's" with these questions! (It's a personal challenge of mine Laughing 

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:38 am

Dear Tone,

I'm so glad it went well for you!

I'm also glad you are no longer a lurker - welcome to the forum! Very Happy 

(Sometimes - um, more often than not, I just tell the boys to close their eyes and I proceed with a stealth glitter attack...not a lot, but just enough to make it pop)

Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:01 am

So glad you had a great experience for your first gig.
Sounds just like the observations I made after my first one, so you are right on track.
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tone on Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:14 pm

Thanks for the tips about making boys accepting glitter.Laughing 

I also learned that i should probably think about changing the set up if I'm doing a thing like this again, because I was in danger of tripping over kids standing around me at times.

Taking a folder of pictures (of myself) with different designs to choose from was a good idea, because it made more people interested. Adults who didn't get painted also came and looked through it, and asked about face painting. And it kept the kids who were waiting busy looking at the pictures and talking about what they wanted to be, and not getting under my feet as much. Since this was my first time, it felt safe to have people pick designs I know I can paint rather well.

I also learned that my painting got better as I got less nervous. The first two were a bit shaky... So performing better under pressure, doesn't apply to face painting, I guess.
Tone

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum