Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Hi Everybody!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi Everybody!

Post by Russet on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:33 am

Hi, my nickname is Russet. I lived down in San Antonio for awhile. Down there there was such a huge market of face/body painters that I was scared to dip my toe in and loose so much or never get anywhere due to the more experienced folks blotting me out with their shadow. I returned home to Anchorage, Alaska, and got a stable financial/home situation, so decided to dip that toe in finally. I looked up hours and hours of videos and kept running into sillyfarm, so I ordered supplies, one neon rainbow cake and 6 starblends, snazaroo sponges, brushes, kabuki sponge, kabuki brush, 7 random (i thought would be useful maybe) stencils, and the all important stipple sponge. Got my supplies, figured out the starblends are awesome, but not what I needed. Talked with my roommate about my want, and he jumped on board and ordered me the snazaroo 54 color deluxe kit, 2 pixie cakes (mermaid and red hot), pro face adhesive, and the kinda needed brush bath. I can get a brush wash tub and brushes locally up here (probably the brush bath too, but meh), so did not add more brushes or a tub to the order. I should get that order Friday. I have been playing a little with the rainbow cake, with a flat brush, been trying to keep it even so the cake will work how it is supposed to once I get to start practicing (on something other than me). I got rhinestones off ebay and bornpretty.com. Will probably go with local on flat back gems in a pinch if needed quickly, but if I don't mind waiting upwards of a month they are so much cheaper online, but I can get a lb bag of the darice bigger ones for 23 bucks. Which after shipping makes local a bit cheaper than getting online if that is all I am getting. Forgot Mehron Tattoo concealer wheel (got the bruise wheel instead) Unless I figure out the snazaroo ain't as bad as reviews paint it out to be, I will probably be looking at keeping with Mehron/Paradise, it all depends if I actually start making money with this or not. Defiantly want to get more of the UV reactive Neon colors (but they are a little pricey)

I am mostly going to be working with adults up here. My roommate had me place advertisements in local community threads, and I have around 20 people willing to be practice canvases for me. Besides glam make-up, I am not sure what I will be doing. Once I get good, I hope to get into body painting for local photographer photo shoots. I don't know if I will ever be doing anything for eyes under 18... One benign body paint I want to do some day is a close to full body rag doll. One of my many youtube watchings was a lady's Halloween idea, and it is just an awesome abstract concept idea to run with. Lots of straight edged shapes of different colors with random patters in contrasting colors (to simulate fabric), then all the edges tied together with black stitch marks.

Last edited by Russet on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot a product in supply listings)
Russet

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by stephen lewis on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:47 am

Hi Russet and welcome to the forum. I'd be interested in hearing you describe the progress on the full/close to full, body rag doll. Best of luck.
stephen lewis

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2013-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:08 am

Welcome to the Forum, Russet!
There is also a shop here at the Forum. It is above your post, in the colourful rectangle below this month's challenge. The prices are competitive, and the shipping is FAST and well packaged.
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3326
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Russet on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:42 pm

Once I am able to paint someone, there will be pictures and I will be able to tell how I did it. it appears that it would be a good line work exercise.

add-on so I ain't bumping the thread....
got more brushes today, and I should have my paints Friday I am so excited. I have 14 flat brushes (some tiny) and 16 rounds (some might not be rounds as they don't come to a point, but they are not flat) and one random 3/8 slanted. One set of 7 is Loew-Cornell shaders I got at work (jo-ann's). Set of 5 rounds is the soft grip set from silly farm. The rest are the synthetic brushes that were in a cheap set from walmart. I have 5 other brushes from that set that I won't use and the sponge things I probably won't use, but adding 11 brushes when one is just getting started for less than 5 bucks is awesome. I might use the other random brushes for water color or something, but they are rough so no face use with them. Oh and I got a tiny bag of the cheap plastic gems while I was at the walmart, and make-up wipes. I know they are more expensive than wet wipes, but for removing paint from around the eye they might cause less irritation. And I figured out a way to store all the brushes in my case or bag. I use to work at a print center and I have old rolls that the wide format lamination and printer paper was on gonna cut them down and cover one end and make a cap for the other end and have my brushes sorted in 4 of the little tubes. And each tube after being cut down for this will leave like a 3 inch section that I will be putting a wide bottom on so I have a brush holder of sorts.
Russet

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum