Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

basic kit WHAT DO I NEED ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

basic kit WHAT DO I NEED ?

Post by avrilkelly88 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:37 pm

hey y'all.

i wanne ask what you guys see as a "basic kit" to start with face painting.

I wanne know some good brands for brushes (i have some flat brushes but can't work with them, wanne buy a small round brush but don't know wich one's are the best)

Is there a sollution to use glitters other than the one's from snazaroo ? (i bought them but they were dry out really fast)

how come that your paint starts "cracking" after a certain time ? Is it cause the paints gets too old ? (Bought soms face paint colors 2 year ago but didn't use them that much, a few colors start cracking and get loose from the box)

avrilkelly88

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-09-09

Back to top Go down

Re: basic kit WHAT DO I NEED ?

Post by mamajane on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:22 pm

I think lots of us overbought at the beginning.  Here's what I'd recommend if I could do it all over again from the start (others will probably have different suggestions, ask 100 painters what to get, and you'll get 100 different answers!)

- TAG split cakes to make up a whole rainbow.  Nice, cost effective way to get all the colors you need.

- Good black and white paints for linework.  Most seem to like Wolfe best, though the quality recently changed.  You might want to spring for the bigger 90gram containers since you'll go through these colors the fastest.

- Loose iridescent glitter, an ounce or two, and a puffer bottle.  The snaz glitter gels are terrible.

- Go to a local craft store and check out their art brushes.  Get the nicest brushes you can afford.  I like 1, 4, 6, 8, and 10 rounds.  I use 1s and 4s the best.  I don't have a favorite brand.  A few filbert brushes in a few different sizes, and a couple 3/4" flat brushes for one strokes.

- I almost forgot sponges! I actually really like the off white Snazaroo sponges you can find at Michael's craft stores, but they are kinda spendy. I found some similar ones in the art section. Everyone really likes the green sponges Metina carries in the store, but I haven't tried them yet.

- A rainbow cake (full size) for easy rainbow butterflies and fairy faces.  Cut a sponge into a big petal / wedge shape for easy application.  Neon rainbows are by far the most popular, but a regular or pearl rainbow is fine too.

- A couple of one stroke cakes.  You can save this for later, but I'd start with a green tones one stroke that could be used for leaves, snakes, and dragons.  And a pink/white/red one for quick flowers, hearts, and swirly flower designs.

Miscellaneous:

- You'll want to have something to rinse your brushes in, just a jar or a nicer brush bath.

-  Some zip lock bags to take your dirty brushes home in.

- A plastic case of some kind (scrapbook paper cases are cheap and easy to find) to hold your paints.

- A couple of dark colored towels to lay out on the table to blot your brushes and protect the table.  A dollar store plastic table cloth is a good idea too.

-  Q-tips/cotton swabs to apply paint and glitter to lips.

- Business cards.  Check www.vistaprint.com for free business cards.

- Baby wipes to clean your hands, and do quick 'fix it' swipes if you mess up someone's face.

Last edited by mamajane on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
mamajane

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2013-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Here is what I'd recommend for starting.  These can all be purchased at the FacePaintForum shop.

1 black for linework (Wolfe or DFX)
1 white for linework (Wolfe or DFX)
1 carnival cake
1 iridescent glitter poofer
1 berry one stroke cake
1 3D-leaf one stroke cake
1 Fantasy Tiger cake
several sponges and brushes

A carnival cake has the colors neon blue, neon yellow and neon magenta.  When sponged on the face, the colors blend beautifully to look like a neon rainbow (the blue and yellow blend to green and the yellow and magenta blend to orange).  Great for many designs!

I recommend a couple of 1-stroke cakes too.  These are good for using the wider brush to pick up multiple colors.  I think that Berry & 3D-Leaf are good choices.  You can do flowers and pretty designs with Berry.  And you can do snakes and leaves (for the flowers) with the 3D-Leaf.  Another good one is Dragon which can also be used for flowers, snakes and fire.

This combination will give a lot of different color and design options for both boys and girls.  Depending on your budget, you may want a sample palette of the basic individual colors.

I have bought most of my brushes at craft stores or even Wal-mart.  Most of the ones I like best are Loew Cornell brand.  I find that I use my round 3, 4 and 5 the most.  I also use my 1/2", 3/4" and 1" flat brushes often.
Kris5115

Number of posts : 741
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:31 pm

I got a snaz jumbo palette, the prisma paradise palette...i'm happy now that I added an additional torqouise and purple....I can paint anything!

what I would like to eventually add is NEON....that'll be my next addition-some neon pink, yellow, orange, lime green and i'll paint happy forever.

the rest of my kit is brushes, sponges cut in half, thirds and round pouncers of several diameters, as well as some gem glue/adhesive and several assortment of gems.
I have several mirrors (learned the hard way to pay extra for shatterproof), cotton swabs, I keep glitter gloss, and isoprophyl alcohol 70-90%.
I also have some baskets to hold supplies as I work to contain clutter, and some wash clothes and business cards.
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by ReRe on Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:59 am

I also have a 3 gal igloo beverage cooler that I fill with water before I leave the house. This way I don't have to run and get clean water to wash my brushes. I can also use it to fill my spritzer bottle and wash my hands after sponging. I also use the Talanti gelato containers for my snazaroo single paints, then when I set up, use them as my wash waters. Great excuse for eating more ice cream!
ReRe

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2013-10-28

http://jazzndazzle.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top