Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

First PPF: Accomplished!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First PPF: Accomplished!

Post by poopitypants on Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:48 am

Not only did I just do my first ppf, I am now writing my first post on this forum. Woo!

And it's a bit long, sorry! I really just wanna tell somebody.

So, hi, nice to meet yall. I'm just about 21, picked up a Klutz book of face paint when I was, what, fourteen? and been interested in it since. Recently decided that I could afford the hobby (and find more victims) if I turned it into a little business, so I'm in the process of trying that out now. I've done a birthday for family, and some small events for tips, or for church, all that good stuff, but last night I had my first gig out of my comfort zone, dealing with complete strangers, out of town even. Talk about terrifying.

What was even better was that after I showed up, the event coordinators informed me that they actually had booked another face painter and neither of us knew it until that day. She had a gorgeous setup, and I didn't even bring my tent- which is a story of it's own. I was coming to this event about an hour away from my home, so when I contacted the coordinator about the $50 vendor fee I explained I was not sure if I could make up that amount plus gas to just break even, since they did not know how many kids were coming, and since I was out of town I would get little to no new clients out of it. But if they still wanted me, I would set up and pay 15% of what I earned, and I offered to just bring a table and chairs to keep from being picky about where I set up since the ball was in their court. Of course I'm a student and new to this so I have no nice signage or anything, either, so the setup felt so very ghetto compared to hers.

ANYWAY, I talked with the other face painter, she was friendly. She had a much more favorable spot next to the kids entertainment, which was nice since she had paid the vendor fee. I ended up making a bit less than said fee, which was enough for a nice dinner and the gas costs to come out- but had a lot of fun, learned some things, and feel more prepared for the next opportunity like this. I swear, I'll make money with face painting eventually!

poopitypants

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Re: First PPF: Accomplished!

Post by Kammy on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:10 pm

Well done on completing your first PPF! I've rarely worked that way (only for the odd charity event) but I know it can be difficult to make back your outgoings at some gigs, so I'm glad to hear you did.

Onwards and upwards, now! Smile
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Welcome to the Forum!
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by veelux on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:35 am

Welcome. Glad you gave it a try and had fun. Its so much fun usually that even when we don't make much, we still feel good knowing we are spreading cheer and happiness to all those little ones.
veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Dear poopitypants,

I'm happy for you! Welcome to the forum!

And might I say that you have THE BEST user name in the whole wide world! Laughing 
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:08 am

I knew Ronnie would like your name...probably because I do too. Smile

Congrats on negotiating a bad situation well. We all have to deal with dumb PPF stuff. I just had a free booth given to me this Saturday, showed up and there were MAYBE 200 people there and only about a dozen vendors. I didn't even get my tent out. I wasn't going to waste my Saturday because I needed to be NICE to some stranger that just called me a week ago. Luckily, I hadn't turned down any gigs for it...I still had to call hubby to give me permission to "hurt" someone's feelings.

Sounds like you have good common sense and the gigs do get better, I promise.
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by poopitypants on Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:58 am

Thanks for the warm welcome- and I'm glad you like the name (:

Denise, yeah. That doesn't sound too great. The event I did was right next to the beach, and right next to my boss's house (which had 3 week old puppies in it, ahhhh yay), so I made a day out of it and had a lot of fun. Nice to meet ya'll!

poopitypants

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top