Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

New gun case

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New gun case

Post by Lady Jayde on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:00 pm

Love the kit! I too have to bring a ton of colors with me...it's almost a sickness.

I've been straddling the gun/guitar case idea for a while now and I just can't decide whether to go for it or not. I'm concerned about the weight since I carry probably the same amount of paints as you do, do you find it a huge chore to carry it about or is it manageable?

How long is your case by the way? I've seen some that were 31" long and I know I'd struggle with getting everything in that neatly. I've also seen the 50" guitar cases that look like boats...don't want to go that route either.

Still on the fence and getting ready to fall off!
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:27 pm

94cm (37") long, 33cm (13") wide, 11cm (4.25") deep.
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:29 pm

I don't find carrying it an issue, it's not too heavy at all for me. The case by itself was fairly light weight to start with. I would not want it any longer, I find the length good, and manageable when carting it around, but any longer and I could see it starting to become a issue.
Coral3

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:47 pm

Coral3 wrote:I don't find carrying it an issue, it's not too heavy at all for me.  The case by itself was fairly light weight to start with.  I would not want it any longer, I find the length good, and manageable when carting it around, but any longer and I could see it starting to become a issue.  
Thanks! Just what I needed to know!
Still on the fence, but I'm starting to lean...Laughing 
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Apart from the transporting and fast set up advantages, the best thing about having a gun/guitar type case, is it deters people poking at your paint, but if you do need to stop curious fingers you can shut the lid and all your paint is covered...they get the message pretty quick.  Or if you need to leave your kit unattended for a minute, you can just close the lid.  And when it comes time to pack up you just shut the lid & all your paint is 'gone' so people stop asking for 'just one more...'.

ETA:  Ohh, and the sign attached to the lid is fantastic, no carting a separate sign & then fiddling around putting it up...just open the case and it's done.
Coral3

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:30 pm

Coral3 wrote:Apart from the transporting and fast set up advantages, the best thing about having a gun/guitar type case, is it deters people poking at your paint, but if you do need to stop curious fingers you can shut the lid and all your paint is covered...they get the message pretty quick.  Or if you need to leave your kit unattended for a minute, you can just close the lid.  And when it comes time to pack up you just shut the lid & all your paint is 'gone' so people stop asking for 'just one more...'.

ETA:  Ohh, and the sign attached to the lid is fantastic, no carting a separate sign & then fiddling around putting it up...just open the case and it's done.

yes, close the kit!!!

when I'm at a party and I can see right away that the kids are not closely supervised (despite notifying the hostess) AND curious, I work with both of my laptops closed, and I use my pocket sized wolfe palette for line work and keep it in my pocket. my paint bag has a built in brush holder, just like your gun case, and I just flip it closed between paint loads.

once you get in the habit of closing after each use, it doesn't slow you down too much.
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:21 pm

I like to use a visible line and put masking tape down. So when little munchkins venture near my kit I point to the line and ask them to stay behind it so I can work faster and get to painting them faster. I also offer not to paint children for them being rude or unkind. I have run across two situations already where one kid felt it necessary to call the person getting painted an idiot. I do not stand for disrespect. Either you can be kind or walk away...end of story. (My teacher side comes out easy on this and you'll be amazed how well behaved kids can be with CLEAR and VISIBLE instructions. When you don't budge, they comply.
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by novice tammy on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Coral3 wrote:Updated pics  Smile 

The camera flash makes the 'face painting' text on my sign look yellow, it's actually lime green IRL.  

^ the space in the top left corner there is for BAMS and perhaps gems, am still hunting for the right container/s for those though.  My brushes take up too much space otherwise I might've had room to velcro them in individually.  

Love your set-up... I have a gun case that I fixed for my kit, but I had a problem with it. I put a very light weight velcro attachable carpet in the inside lid and on the bottom. My problem was the weight of the items attached pulled it off and I used double-sided carpet tape to attach it, as you can see in the pics I had my paints attached to the lid, thinking that it was just too heavy. I took it all off and redid all the tape and put it back, but it still will not stay even with no weight on it... any suggestions?

novice tammy

Number of posts : 154

http://www.clowningaroundasheville.net

Back to top Go down

Post by novice tammy on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:31 pm

Actually, I love this set-up, because I had my dad use mount some folding legs to the bottom for me (off a table I got at a yard sale for $5).
novice tammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:50 pm

Have you tried a permanent outdoor mounting tape?
Coral3

Back to top Go down

Post by novice tammy on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:30 am

I thought that is what I bought... but mine, I think was more to hold rugs from slipping now that I think about it... will look for it... thanks coral3
novice tammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Colorful Faces on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:04 pm

I think is very convenience, and compact. Very Happy 
Liz Colorful Faces

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2013-11-17

http://www.Colorfulfaces.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:34 am

Coral3 wrote:Okay so the last gig I did I was plagued by kids trying to touch my kit, which was bad enough, but then one little girl proceeded to eat her cupcake whilst leaning all over my paint! - dropping crumbs everywhere!!  Determined that something had to change, because I'm not putting up with germy little blighters contaminating my beautiful paints any more, I went out and bought a new paint case.  I had been using plastic document cases to hold them up till now.

The hope is that the open lid will separate curious fingers and crumbling cupcakes from my beloved paints.  I would have preferred black, but couldn't find it - no matter though, I plan to mount a sign on the outside of the open lid anyway, so it's not really going to be an issue.  I'm going to store brushes on the inside of the lid somehow - yet to figure that out but have a few ideas.  Anyway, here it is:

Thank You Coral3. We were just having this topic in Stolen Paints. Small case vs. Gun Case... I love what you did and this is something I have been thinking about. Now I am going to do it for sure. I just got off the forum and went to Google and Google-d this topic and you are what I found. Thanks so much. I have spent months in this forum and this is the first time I saw this topic covered in detail. So glad I found it.
Happy Painting
gypsy6974

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:20 pm

You're welcome, Gypsy!

I'm still loving my gun case...it's so much easier to be able to open the lid and have the paints & brushes all laid out ready, and I LOVE having the barrier of the open lid to protect my paints from curious fingers (and cupcake crumbs!). Before this I had gotten to the point where I was carting two small tables everywhere to lay my kit out on - with this I only need one of them.

There are a few different sizes/shapes of gun cases out there. When I bought this there was a longer narrower version also - glad I didn't get that one, this is just right & I think the length in the longer version would have become awkward to carry & transport.
Coral3

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:51 pm

Ooh, and some exciting news for me this week - I WON a pop-up gazebo a couple days ago!!  It's not top-of-the-range or anything, and if given a choice I would choose white (or black?) but it's something I didn't have so I'm pretty happy with it, especially considering it was FREE!  

This is it:

Specifications:
Canopy coverage: 270x270cm
Packed dimensions: 19 x 19 x 128cm
Maximum head height: 249cm
Weight: 12.8kg

I do like that it's light enough for me to carry by myself...some of the 'heavy duty' gazebos are well...HEAVY!
Coral3

Back to top Go down

Post by michellelea007 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:32 pm

Looks amazing! What brushes do you have in there? Loew Cornell comfort?
michellelea007

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:36 am

Lots of different brands, but all of the rounds are Loew Cornell 7000 series.
Coral3

Back to top Go down

Post by FacepaintingByTanya on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:22 pm

I was posting in this topic: http://www.facepaintforum.com/t15580p45-stolen-paint#222535 - I am converting my setup to the gun case version, thanks to what I saw here in this topic (and Coral3's pix) ... just ordered this case last night: http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-Aluminum-Locking-Gun-Case-Rifle-Lock-Shotgun-Storage-Box-Carry-Guitar-Deluxe-/161083367432?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1120 - hubby is going to retrofit with folding legs to make it a stable table setup... should eliminate the parade of gear that people shake their heads watching me pull out of my Miata at gigs... Shocked Will post pix of the project once it's done... thinking I might also put a lighting system built into the lid of the case, for late night painting  Twisted Evil 
FacepaintingByTanya

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2013-04-17

http://www.facepaintingbytanya.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:50 pm

Oooh, I love he idea of lighting!
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FacepaintingByTanya on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:54 pm

I haven't fully thought it out yet, but I know you can get LED flexible strip lighting at most automotive shops, and the battery life is long (LEDs are very efficient, and bright as all get out)... would eliminate the need to include a lantern in my clown car (lanterns give me night blindness... hard to paint that way)... yay, kit streamlining!! I won't give up bringing all my paint and brushes, but I am all about paring down to a clean fast setup when it comes to the bulky stuff.
FacepaintingByTanya

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2013-04-17

http://www.facepaintingbytanya.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:23 am

FacepaintingByTanya wrote:I was posting in this topic: http://www.facepaintforum.com/t15580p45-stolen-paint#222535 - I am converting my setup to the gun case version, thanks to what I saw here in this topic (and Coral3's pix) ... just ordered this case last night: http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-Aluminum-Locking-Gun-Case-Rifle-Lock-Shotgun-Storage-Box-Carry-Guitar-Deluxe-/161083367432?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1120 - hubby is going to retrofit with folding legs to make it a stable table setup... should eliminate the parade of gear that people shake their heads watching me pull out of my Miata at gigs... :shock:Will post pix of the project once it's done... thinking I might also put a lighting system built into the lid of the case, for late night painting  Twisted Evil 

FANTASTIC IDEA. You are creative... I like the light idea I think that would be eye catching. But I do like my big lights that shine from the top of my tent. If I don't have a lot of light at night I can't see that well and can't find one brush from another specially a black brush. Not to mention the left side of the kids face. I am anxious to see your pics. of the finished case. Please post them.
I also know about people watching me and my SIL coming in and out and setup and break-down. Someone should have taken a video and you-tubed it on our first go round. It would have went viral. But we work well together now. lol
Happy Painting
gypsy6974

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:47 pm

New gun case wrote:
My case finally came in a day and 3/4 of a day late. I was watching for that case since yesterday AM. I am so happy and Coral it is exactly like yours. Now all I have to do it set it up. OMG, I am so excited... Here it is. I hope I can do the outside and inside as well as you did. I am not that into upholstery or sewing but I guess I better get with it now. I can't even remember how to thread my mom's sewing machine.

gypsy6974

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top