Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

getting gems to stick

View previous topic View next topic Go down

getting gems to stick

Post by nikkili26 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:23 pm

is it unrealistic to expect gems to stick for more than a half hour?
whats the trick?

i've tried the gems with adhesive, and the ones that i use eyelash or tulip body gem glue for...and they just don't stay stuck.

one method, clearing off a spot in the paint with a cotton swab kind of worked, but it takes too much time and it still falls off.

how do you all do it?

whats a reasonable amount of time to expect these gems to stay on?any particular brands you reccommend?
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: getting gems to stick

Post by eva on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:29 pm

I rarely have them fall off, they usually stay for hours. I wore one Saturday all day. I use pros aide, and I don't clear the spot.
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tineke on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:13 am

Kryolan mastix Works ....
Tineke

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-07-02

http://www.tinekesgrime.com

Back to top Go down

Post by a_better_man_now on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:59 pm

i used a non latex eye lash glue, and it worked pretty well. although Im a newbie, it did seem to work, even in the hot weather. I got the idea from a friend who did my makeup for a charity drag event (no, i dont normally do drag, hence the make-up artist doing my make-up. I had jewels glued to my face for around six hours, and it was hot as crap in the bulding, but the gems stayed on, so...
a_better_man_now

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2013-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post by gaebell on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:15 am

I agree Eva............ Pros-aide works well, gems stay on for hours.
gaebell

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2011-03-28

http://www.tagbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by v10na on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:41 pm

I always find that if you don't let the glue sit for a little while after applying it to the gem then it will not stay on the skin as long. I actually found this out by accident! I had been putting them directly on the skin right away and one time almost forgot the gem. Sometimes those slip ups make the most! I use eyelash glue:)
Best of Luck!!
v10na

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post by newbie:) on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:13 am

Where can I get some of that pros-aide? Mine fall too Sad

newbie:)

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:27 pm

Dude saying this right now - I HIGHLY recommend not to use pros-aide for face painting.

Pros-aide is a heavy duty medical adhesive. We use it in the move industry for applying protethics that have to stay on for hours. Will it make that gem stay on? You bet your butt it will. But taking it off with out a proper remover is another story. I have seen this stuff remove the upper layer or skin when taken off with out proper remover. Not ok for kids faces.

Another down side it that it takes longer to set. Pros-aide is a contact glue. It works best when glue is applied to the skin AND to what ever it is you want to glue, then wait for them to dry a bit, THEN stick them together.

Also even if the parents do manage to get it off with out hurting their child's skin, the glue aint going anywhere. makeup remover does nothing, 99% iso, or olive oil will only break a part the glue but not remove it.

How many parents do you know who have special removers like this at home? Heck I meet some parents that don't even have rubbing alcohol in their house! 

I tend to stick to soap and water when giving removal instructions. No parent wants a dirty glue bindi on their kids head for a week (and yes they can last that long),

ALTERNATIVES:

- Location location location! Be aware of where you are putting the gem. Put it in a 'low traffic' zone, some place there isn't going to be too much movement. Right between the eyes is not the best place because of facial expressions, but the forehead will work better. Stay away from where the laugh lines would be, and opt for the temple of the head instead. I don't put gems on arms, or hands, they never last.

- Get a quality glue. I use Quo, which is a latex free eyelash glue. Keep it in a warm area for storage and do not allow it to get too cold. Also be aware that glues can and will expire. Replace every 6 months or as needed.

- Amount. While it's true that you want to be generous when you apply the glue to make sure it covers the entire back of the gem, you don't want to over do it. Too much glue and it won't dry in the middle fast enough (think of a cake that is still raw in the middle). You want a nice thin layer on the back, not a heaping gob.

- Tell the kid not to touch it! This is the main thing that makes the gems fall off, is kids constantly touching them. As I put on the gem i say "ok so the secret with these is the the less you touch it the longer it will last. If you touch it too much it will fall off and you might lose it. BUT, if you don't touch it, it will last longer and at bed time when it has to come off you get to keep it!" - or something along those lines.

- Don't save it for absolute last. Try making the gem the 2nd or 3rd to last thing you do. I usually put it one before i add glitter or lipstick. This way I can insure that the model isn't going to touch it during the crucial drying time.

- Finally, if you are in a really tight spot, it's a crazy hot day and NONE of these above methods are working, and kids keep coming back to you to put their gems on.... don't reach for that pros-aide. Instead get your self some Pros-aide 2 (also known as pros-aide the sequel). This is pretty good stuff that will do the job, but isn't as hard core as pro-aide the original. It will last the day, and best of all is that 99% iso or olive oil can actually make a dent in this to remove it. Down side is that you have to tell the parent there are special removal instructions.
The cool thing is that if you own a glimmer glitter tattoo set you might already have this product. I've done comparison tests with the glue from the glimmer set, and with pros-aide 2 and determined they are the same glue, if not VERY close to being the same.

I've never has to use my pros-aide 2 on a child yet, and I live in a temperate coastal rain forest. Seriously just tell the kids to stop picking at the gems. Razz 

Hope this helped!!
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:34 pm

P.S. Here is the thread where pros-aide was talked about extensively early last year.
http://www.facepaintforum.com/t15661-gem-glue-which-is-better?
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum