Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

marc reid cat muZzle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

marc reid cat muZzle

Post by nikkili26 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:01 am

So, how is it done?some of you do it so flawlessly (gillybean).

It looks like some tear drops...what's the technique?
avatar
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Age : 32
Location : Manchester, CT
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:34 am

Mark Reid has books and dvds. I would suggest buying one. The FPF Shop carries his Fantasy Cats book. http://www.facepaintforumshop.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1827

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by nikkili26 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:44 am

Yeah I was looking at it but the preview doesn't seem like it'll have the detailed step by step I'm trying to see....if you're recommending it as an answer to this question then I'll assume the technique is better explained so thanks.
avatar
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Age : 32
Location : Manchester, CT
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by TheGildedCat on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:17 pm

He has a class on FABA TV as well it's only $30 - a steal! You can either buy the DVD to keep or pay $30 for a month of access to all of the shows. It's very much worth the price - you'd pay 3-4x that for a single class.
http://www.fabatv.com/video/mark-reid/56/tiger-faces

It's my personal opinion that it's not really fair for me to teach you his (or Christina Davison's) techniques when that is how he (and she) earns a living. To boot, I paid $100 and $150 to take classes with him personally and another nearly $1200 combined for my trip to FABAIC. Others may disagree. I'm more than happy to teach you how I do any of the faces I worked on designing myself, it's not a matter of not wanting others to learn, it's taking money out of the hands of Mark, who's a really good person, a fabulous artist, and who deserves to have people learn directly from his amazing skillset.
avatar
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Age : 36
Location : Portland, OR
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by Denise Cold on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:03 pm

FABAtv will even give you a free 24 hour pass code to preview fabatv for free for a day. I think they have a toll free number you could call and ask. Smile The $30.00 is a bargain too. You can watch $500.00 dollars worth of classes in a month.
avatar
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Age : 52
Location : Orem, UT
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by nikkili26 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:22 pm

Thanks guilded cat and denise-the dvd isn't an option for me right now, but the book preview didn't seem like it'd teach what I wanted to learn-however FABATV is a great idea!
I love his body art-wasn't too familiar with his face stuff because it's so abstract, but that muzzle I see on everyones tiger has grown on me and now I want to learn Smile

Thanks!

(especially because I have the next month off work!!!!perfect timing for this suggestion!)
avatar
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Age : 32
Location : Manchester, CT
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by gypsy6974 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:58 am

I have been taking classes from FABATV for well over a year now. I love Faba and it is worth every penny. The classes are great, you can watch anyone of them at your convenience 24 hours a day. It covers face painting, air brush, body painting and much more. Heather Banks owns FabaTV and does a lot of youtube videos. She goes by Silly Heather and is a wonderful woman and a great artist. I agree with The Gilded Cat that Mark Reid should teach you that and no one else. He is fantastic and I love to watch him paint. I have done several of his Tigers and they are not Mark Reid's but they are good. I still have a long way to go and will never be in his league but I am trying. FabaTv has many packages deals. There are many good face painters on FabTV and each have several classes to choose from. I am going to try and post one of my cats that he taught me. It is my first time trying to upload a pic. I am new to this forum so please be patient with me if I do not get it the first time. Also, you can see that my muzzle is not perfect and neither are my lines on that cat, but that was my second go at it. I have painted a dozen more at one festival alone and they are getting better each time. The girls love this cat and it gets easier and faster with everyone of them. I wish you the best of luck. I guess I had better go back to the instructions to upload a pic. I will try to post it later and may I have better luck.
avatar
gypsy6974

Number of posts : 299
Location : New Orleans, La.
Registration date : 2013-10-26

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by Miss Ronnie on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:57 am

I can offer a little bit of advice - just keep tweaking your muzzle attempts... one after another. Try different brushes to see if you like them better (I no longer use a round brush for painting my tiger stripes or muzzle) The results for me have been I now have my own muzzle in my own way that works very well (and quickly) for me. I don't even remember what Mark Reid's muzzle looks like anymore.... although I remember perfectly what Mark Reid himself looks like because I still have a gigantic crush on him. Rolling Eyes 
avatar
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Age : 56
Location : Carthage, New York
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by nikkili26 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:53 pm

lol miss Ronnie, but true, he is a good looking man.

Yeah, I signed up for fabatv as soon as it was suggested, and it really is fantastic. My work improved at least 70% over night!

just learning the type of teardrop he uses, I now use on all my swirls, and it looks awesome!
avatar
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Age : 32
Location : Manchester, CT
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by gypsy6974 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:54 pm

Miss Ronnie wrote:I can offer a little bit of advice - just keep tweaking your muzzle attempts... one after another.  Try different brushes to see if you like them better (I no longer use a round brush for painting my tiger stripes or muzzle)  The results for me have been I now have my own muzzle in my own way that works very well (and quickly) for me.  I don't even remember what Mark Reid's muzzle looks like anymore.... although I remember perfectly what Mark Reid himself looks like because I still have a gigantic crush on him. Rolling Eyes 
Thanks for the advice Miss Ronda. I have tried different brushes but all round, now I will try something new. I have been on this forum for about a week or so now and I like it very much. I appreciate the sharing. This is the most helpful group of people that I have yet to encounter (except for the people I pay to take lessons from) but they don't tell you this stuff. I came here seeking advice and in no time at all I found my issues. One was no hovering and crazy moms plus a few more. I thank God I am not the only one with people like this. I just thought it was me and I must be doing something wrong.
I love Mark Reid too! I think he must be able to rope the moon. I watch all of his classes over and over, so maybe it isn't just for the lessons. I would love to meet him in person and that is on my bucket list. There is just something about that man that reaches beyond the screen.
Once again I appreciate the advice. I wish you the very best.
avatar
gypsy6974

Number of posts : 299
Location : New Orleans, La.
Registration date : 2013-10-26

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by Miss Ronnie on Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:27 am

Don't know if he can rope the moon - but I am most definitely available for roping....

Did I just say that out loud... whoopsy.

Just to be clear - it is not a physical thing about Mark Reid for me - I'm just entranced, enthralled, bewitched and bewildered over his personality (at least his teaching personality!) I'm sure if I got to hang with him I would have a barrel full of laughs.
avatar
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Age : 56
Location : Carthage, New York
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by nikkili26 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:08 am

Yes, he is super hilarious. I love how he says all his jokes with a straight face. makes you feel like you're right there in the room with him, having a genuine conversation where he does all the talking while you just nod in agreement and laugh.

really helps you remember the advice because he ties it in with a story.
avatar
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Age : 32
Location : Manchester, CT
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by gypsy6974 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:06 pm

nikkili26 wrote:Yes, he is super hilarious. I love how he says all his jokes with a straight face. makes you feel like you're right there in the room with him, having a genuine conversation where he does all the talking while you just nod in agreement and laugh.

really helps you remember the advice because he ties it in with a story.
I am entranced in everything that he does. He has a personality and charm that oozes out of that screen. I also like his teaching methods. He explains every little detail so that his instructions or easy to understand and execute i.e. his brush strokes with the tiger lines airplane landing/taking off. I watched Marcela Murad 100 teardrops before I watched him. It seemed simple enough and I was doing fairly OK but, just OK. Then I watch Mark Reid and my teardrops and other lines are so easy to remember and do. I also like Pashur with his Glitter Rocks (a must watch) but I was also interested in Tribal's. Pashur is great with Tribal's but all I could think of is that I will never remember all of this. Then I watched Mark Reid explain Tribal's and off I go with them. I just wish that M. Reid had more classes. He has six but I want more. I did not mean to put down Marcela Murad because she is good too. Maybe it is her accent that is not getting through to me. I am sure it is me and not her.
I do wish you the best of luck.
avatar
gypsy6974

Number of posts : 299
Location : New Orleans, La.
Registration date : 2013-10-26

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by nikkili26 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:09 am

aww, I love her accent, she's just so adorable and funny Smile
off to watch glitter rocks!
avatar
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Age : 32
Location : Manchester, CT
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by Miss Ronnie on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:18 am

Okay, I lied - my crush on Mark Reid is of the romantic nature....haha! - confessions of the heart!

(But I think I may have a girl crush on Marcela, too!...jk)
avatar
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Age : 56
Location : Carthage, New York
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by gypsy6974 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:08 pm

Miss Ronnie wrote:Okay, I lied - my crush on Mark Reid is of the romantic nature....haha! - confessions of the heart!

(But I think I may have a girl crush on Marcela, too!...jk)
I won't touch that one. lol.....
avatar
gypsy6974

Number of posts : 299
Location : New Orleans, La.
Registration date : 2013-10-26

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by meenie on Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:52 pm

gypsy6974 wrote:
nikkili26 wrote:Yes, he is super hilarious. I love how he says all his jokes with a straight face. makes you feel like you're right there in the room with him, having a genuine conversation where he does all the talking while you just nod in agreement and laugh.

really helps you remember the advice because he ties it in with a story.
I am entranced in everything that he does. He has a personality and charm that oozes out of that screen. I also like his teaching methods. He explains every little detail so that his instructions or easy to understand and execute i.e. his brush strokes with the tiger lines airplane landing/taking off. I watched Marcela Murad 100 teardrops before I watched him. It seemed simple enough and I was doing fairly OK but, just OK. Then I watch Mark Reid and my teardrops and other lines are so easy to remember and do. I also like Pashur with his Glitter Rocks (a must watch) but I was also interested in Tribal's. Pashur is great with Tribal's but all I could think of is that I will never remember all of this. Then I watched Mark Reid explain Tribal's and off I go with them. I just wish that M. Reid had more classes. He has six but I want more. I did not mean to put down Marcela Murad because she is good too. Maybe it is her accent that is not getting through to me. I am sure it is me and not her.
I do wish you the best of luck.


I love Marcela's accent! I think she VERY talented and she's one of my 'art models'. Everyone's art is different and I think Marcela's and Marks work cant be compared side by side.



meenie

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2013-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by meenie on Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:52 pm

Miss Ronnie wrote:Okay, I lied - my crush on Mark Reid is of the romantic nature....haha! - confessions of the heart!

(But I think I may have a girl crush on Marcela, too!...jk)

Smile

meenie

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2013-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by gypsy6974 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:36 pm

meenie wrote:
gypsy6974 wrote:
nikkili26 wrote:Yes, he is super hilarious. I love how he says all his jokes with a straight face. makes you feel like you're right there in the room with him, having a genuine conversation where he does all the talking while you just nod in agreement and laugh.

really helps you remember the advice because he ties it in with a story.
I am entranced in everything that he does. He has a personality and charm that oozes out of that screen. I also like his teaching methods. He explains every little detail so that his instructions or easy to understand and execute i.e. his brush strokes with the tiger lines airplane landing/taking off. I watched Marcela Murad 100 teardrops before I watched him. It seemed simple enough and I was doing fairly OK but, just OK. Then I watch Mark Reid and my teardrops and other lines are so easy to remember and do. I also like Pashur with his Glitter Rocks (a must watch) but I was also interested in Tribal's. Pashur is great with Tribal's but all I could think of is that I will never remember all of this. Then I watched Mark Reid explain Tribal's and off I go with them. I just wish that M. Reid had more classes. He has six but I want more. I did not mean to put down Marcela Murad because she is good too. Maybe it is her accent that is not getting through to me. I am sure it is me and not her.
I do wish you the best of luck.


I love Marcela's accent! I think she VERY talented and she's one of my 'art models'. Everyone's art is different and I think Marcela's and Marks work cant be compared side by side.


You are so right that everyone's art is different and each have their own method of teaching. I happen to like Marc Reid and he really makes things so simple and that is that. I did say that Marcela was good and she is a very good artist. To each his or her own. I don't mind her accent but and I have one too, it's just not Spanish. Maybe someone who heard me speak would say jeez, her accent is getting in my way. Maybe that was not it at all? I was guessing or did not want to say the real problem. Maybe I really don't like her teaching method. But I do think she is a great artist and I wish that I had 1/2 of her talent and knowledge. She is a wonderful woman I am sure, but I don't like her teaching method. I said in my post, I did not mean to put her down because she is a very good artist. I know that when I was in school I had favorite teachers that got the subject through to me with no problem. Then there were those teachers through my years in school that no mater what they said I had problems getting it. It was their teaching method because we all had the same accents. So, I think that would be my problem. I also did not say her accent wasn't beautiful I just said that maybe it got in my way of understanding? I really did not want to say that her teaching method (in my mind) stunk... We all had favorite teachers and will always have them no mater how long we study or what we study.
avatar
gypsy6974

Number of posts : 299
Location : New Orleans, La.
Registration date : 2013-10-26

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by gypsy6974 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:42 pm

And yes Meenie you are right again. Marcela and Marc Reid's work can't be compared side by side not now or ever. Mark Reid is a great artist and can't be compared to anyone else. As far as I am concerned he is the best.
avatar
gypsy6974

Number of posts : 299
Location : New Orleans, La.
Registration date : 2013-10-26

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by meenie on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:03 pm

gypsy6974 wrote:
meenie wrote:
gypsy6974 wrote:
nikkili26 wrote:Yes, he is super hilarious. I love how he says all his jokes with a straight face. makes you feel like you're right there in the room with him, having a genuine conversation where he does all the talking while you just nod in agreement and laugh.

really helps you remember the advice because he ties it in with a story.
I am entranced in everything that he does. He has a personality and charm that oozes out of that screen. I also like his teaching methods. He explains every little detail so that his instructions or easy to understand and execute i.e. his brush strokes with the tiger lines airplane landing/taking off. I watched Marcela Murad 100 teardrops before I watched him. It seemed simple enough and I was doing fairly OK but, just OK. Then I watch Mark Reid and my teardrops and other lines are so easy to remember and do. I also like Pashur with his Glitter Rocks (a must watch) but I was also interested in Tribal's. Pashur is great with Tribal's but all I could think of is that I will never remember all of this. Then I watched Mark Reid explain Tribal's and off I go with them. I just wish that M. Reid had more classes. He has six but I want more. I did not mean to put down Marcela Murad because she is good too. Maybe it is her accent that is not getting through to me. I am sure it is me and not her.
I do wish you the best of luck.


I love Marcela's accent! I think she VERY talented and she's one of my 'art models'. Everyone's art is different and I think Marcela's and Marks work cant be compared side by side.


You are so right that everyone's art is different and each have their own method of teaching. I happen to like Marc Reid and he really makes things so simple and that is that. I did say that Marcela was good and she is a very good artist. To each his or her own. I don't mind her accent but and I have one too, it's just  not Spanish. Maybe someone who heard me speak would say jeez, her accent is getting in my way. Maybe that was not it at all? I was guessing or did not want to say the real problem. Maybe I really don't like her teaching method. But I do think she is a great artist and I wish that I had 1/2 of her talent and knowledge. She is a wonderful woman I am sure, but I don't like her teaching method. I said in my post, I did not mean to put her down because she is a very good artist. I know that when I was in school I had favorite teachers that got the subject through to me with no problem. Then there were those teachers through my years in school that no mater what they said I had problems getting it. It was their teaching method because we all had the same accents. So, I think that would be my problem. I also did not say her accent wasn't beautiful I just said that maybe it got in my way of understanding? I really did not want to say that her teaching method (in my mind) stunk... We all had favorite teachers and will always have them no mater how long we study or what we study.



Hello Gypsy,

I do understand your position clearly and never implied you were putting Marcela down. It appears my post came across as being critical of yours. I merely shared my thoughts on the subject. My post has clearly been misunderstood and if it offends in anyway I sincerely apologise! Smile

meenie

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2013-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by gypsy6974 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:53 pm

Meenie but it did come across that way to me. I did not mean to come across so hard but felt that I should explain myself further. I am sorry and I meant no harm or ill will. Maybe I was reading too much between the lines, and I should not have.
I do wish you a wonderful New Year and I do understand your position. We all have favorites and we are all entitled to a difference of opinion.
Happy Painting
avatar
gypsy6974

Number of posts : 299
Location : New Orleans, La.
Registration date : 2013-10-26

Back to top Go down

Re: marc reid cat muZzle

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum