Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Should I split my paints?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should I split my paints?

Post by KrissyJay on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi all,
I am starting up my face painting business officially and i just bought my first set of good paints. I bought the Wolfe Brothers 12 essentials 6 essentials 6 matallix and 6 neon...
I got the 6 essentials with the intention of splitting them since i saw such wonderful split cake designs on-line, but I cant afford split cakes right now too. Then after i bought them I thought to split most of my pallets. I was thinking to split the metallix half and half and swap around colours and for the 12 and 6 essentials I did out a plan to split them like when I finally get them, but I don't know if i should do it... here is the rough plan i did up.

I planned to keep some mostly one colour so i can still use solid colours...
advice please!!

Thanks!

KrissyJay

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Should I split my paints?

Post by nikkili26 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:18 pm

do it if that's your style.

personally, my only uses for splits is my girl designs, and snakes or Dragon and flames.

I also use prisma cakes for both splits and bases.

My bases are usually combos of solid colors....I found that I usually dab the same two colors for base work, so I did split those colors.....but my solids I need most are white, black, red, yellow and green.

as for my Wolfe essentials....I keep them in solid blocks because they feel wicked tight on my skin if I use as splits....
I love it for line work and detail work, like drawing a unicorn or flower, or making scars and angry faces or tear drops and swirls....not for base colors.

when I want to use more than one color of Wolfe, I double load my brush, or I'll mix and customize in the cake as I work.

do what works for you. the palette will split nicely, I just personally found it to dry too tight.
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:01 am

I don't know.  It's tempting to go all crazy cutting up paint when you first discover how much fun cutting up paint is, but unless you have clear ideas of what designs you will use the splits for you can end up with a heap of splits that are not being used.  

I would suggest doing just a couple in colour combinations you can think of multiple uses for to start with.  Then as you're painting (as Nikkili has mentioned above) if you find yourself loading up particular colour combos out of your solid colours quite often you might decide it'd be worth making a split of that combo.  

If you make them just as you find you have need for particular combinations you'll end up with a more useful selection IMO.
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by KrissyJay on Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks for the tips guys, I am gonna stick to my first plan and just split the 6 cake Smile if anything I can split more in the future.

KrissyJay

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:37 am

I would go slow at it. My working kit is made up of pretty much a box that contains regular colors (matte and metallics) and another box of split cakes. I split my regular/single color pots not for the purpose of a particular design treatment, but rather because I'm a color hoarder and want as many colors with me as possible...I call it space saving Cool Cool Cool

Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KrissyJay on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:39 pm

Such a pretty kit Lady!

KrissyJay

Back to top Go down