Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

working with sponges

Go down

working with sponges

Post by StephanieKiDooodle on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:12 pm

I have been looking at sponge techniques and they look great. My question is about using them during a job where there are many different people. I can rinse the brushes out easily, but the brushes don't have handles (obviously) and I find that I can't clean them as I work. What do others do? Do you just throw them to the side between each person? That sounds like a lot of sponges to deal with at the end of the day. Thanks for the input. Also, how do you get detail using sponges?
StephanieKiDooodle

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2013-10-16

http://www.KiDooodles.com

Back to top Go down

Re: working with sponges

Post by Tineke on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:35 am

A new sponge per person, a lot of sponges atthe end of the day....
Tineke

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-07-02

http://www.tinekesgrime.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:36 am

A clean sponge each time, used ones go in a bucket to be washed later. Sponges are cheap and last forever with proper care. It doesn't take that many really - you buy rounds and cut in half, or cut up large car wash sponges.

And ... you detail with brushes. Sponges are for applying base colours, and blending and edging.

There are some good books available that will cover this all.

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:29 am

Yes, one sponge per design. I cut my sponges into all kinds of shapes.got tiny ones for baby girls, itty bitty butterflies, only big enough for eye lids and one strokes. I have huge halves for quick masks and tigers and big butterflies.

if I need lots of coverage, I sponge and then use brushes to add the defining edges.it just speeds things up and is smoother than streaky brush lines over a large area.....another method is to fill the area with brush work, then stipple the sponges to even it out.

I keep clean sponges in a bag, dirty in a bucket. before a gig, I soak them all and squeeze so they are damp.....but after a gig, I wash, sanitize and dry them completely for storage.
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:34 am

p.s. if I am running low on sponges, I switch my design choices.
I don't use a board for this reason.
so if a kid wants Spiderman and I'm low on sponges, he gets a drawn picture of Spiderman either squatting or his face with hands slinging webs. the boys are still happy with it.
if a girl wants butterfly, I just paint it on.
the sponges speed things up, but you can purchase larger brushes to do the same job.

I have two huge 2inch flat brushes that I use to bust out quick butterfly bases for the "just one mores".
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:37 am

Yes, lots (and lots) of sponges! No such thing as having too many sponges IMO. Smile  I have way more than I really need, but I do tend to go through a lot. One sponge per child, but also one sponge per load. So if I'm sponging away and absolutely can't get more paint out of it without reloading, I grab a fresh sponge to load up again (Don't need to do this often, mind you. I can do a whole face with one load, sometimes with the aid of a spritz of water to get the last bit done, but sometimes if it's hot & dry weather the paint dries up quicker.)
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by StephanieKiDooodle on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:38 pm

As usul, all grat input. I like the idea of the sponges being pre-dampened.
StephanieKiDooodle

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2013-10-16

http://www.KiDooodles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down