Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Need some jump start help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need some jump start help!

Post by bacflip4 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:20 am

Hi Everyone, I've been reading many post and they are all very helpful!  I've also been watching youtube alot.  It's so much to take in! I am just starting out and trying to get everything I need right.

So far for practicing I have bought:
A snazaroo Ultimate set
the klutz face painting book that comes with wolfe paint
a water basin
a wilton brush set
a couple loew cornell brushes
(almost everything 40% with coupon from michaels!)

My plan is to practice on my husband(ha), and 2 nieces.

I have started a facebook page and plan on putting pictures up of the designs once I feel good about them.  From there I'd like to order more professional paints and supplies.

Questions still:
How many designs should I have nailed down to begin with, to be enough for boys and girls?  

Since most people base parties on an hourly rate, do you offer the kids cheek, half face, and full face designs? pretty much whatever they want?

It seems like most people use a board display to bring with them?  Is this just made from the big heavy poster boards?

How do the gems stick on the face? to the paint or do you need a glue?

do people make their own split/rainbow cakes b/c it's more cost effective?

I need a side income where I can be my own boss and make my own hours.  Is this "business" suitable for that?  Paints seem expensive but, I think I will eventually make a profit?

I bartended on the side for the last 3 years so this is a complete change for me but, I'm excited!

Thanks so much for your help!  It's great to have so many different experience levels here.

~Christine

bacflip4

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2013-10-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Need some jump start help!

Post by Kris5115 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:57 am

Hi Christine!  Welcome.

That's a lot of questions!  Keep reading here and you'll find answers to most of them.  But here are my two cents:

Looks like you have some good quality paint for starting and a way to practice.  So practice, practice, practice!

You'll find Snaz and Wolfe to be very different and useful in different ways.  That will help you make decisions on future paint purchases.

To begin, try to get good at about a dozen designs, roughly half girl, half boy, though some, like a tiger are not gender specific.

My first display was an 8x10 sheet in an acrylic frame.  Then I moved to a tri-fold poster thing (which would always blow over at outside events). I've tried a word board too.  Now I have a pvc frame display with indoor/outdoor carpet to which I velcro my photos.  

Prior to the event, I will determine with the client what type of painting they want - quick designs, full faces, etc.  It usually depends on the number of kids vs. the amount of time.

Usually gems are glued on.  Eyelash glue is a common choice.  Some gems already have sticky backs and are just peel and stick.

I have made some of my own rainbow cakes and have also bought them ready made.  Everyone has their own preference here.  Though the paints are expensive, they last a long time.  

It may take some time to become profitable.  Having a business plan helps here.  Restraint from buying more supplies than you really need is also helpful.

Glad you've come to the forum!  Read and practice and have fun!
Kris5115

Number of posts : 741
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:24 am

how well can you paint, and how good is your memory.

that determines whether you need a design book or board for a party.
check out your local competition. that's what you start with charging. doesn't matter if you think their work is better, or you are slow. obviously you will continue to improve, so just jump in.

you already found this forum so you WILL improve quickly.

forget about doing this as an artist. if you run your business like a business person, you could potentially do this full-time but to get there, you need to have a business plan, logo, brand, employees....it all starts with your mission statement.

business first, facepainter second. reinvest aggressively.
I reinvested 100%.immediately covered all out of pocket expenses with profits.
not one single day have I operated "in the red".

I MAKE money to spend money.

always book in advance, always collect deposit in advance, always charge retainer, fuel and supplies in advance. only 3 times did I fail to sign contracts with non profits, and only 3 times have I been screwed....shame on me, but now shame on them.I don't do any gigs for exposure-I will wait til a public event, set up my vendor booth and go to town marketing with free paint sponsored by me Smile do it right and they call back!You could charge a fee, but I find I book more gigs when I give it away free.
just make sure you let them know your "free" service is costing you money....they will also slip you donations which will cover the cost of painting free, just NEVER put out a donation sign.
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:27 am

Also, get a card reader for your phone. you won't believe how much better your business will improve once you start taking credit cards.

blows people's MINDS!
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by bacflip4 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:29 am

Thank you Kris! I will be searching the forum as much as I can for help! Sometimes reading all the post makes my mind go crazy and eyes hurt! I look forward to the day I can be more comfortable with everything and just be able to have fun with it!

bacflip4

Back to top Go down

Post by bacflip4 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:30 am

I was trying to stay away from credit cards for now but, I can def see how that would improve things from a business stand point!

bacflip4

Back to top Go down

Post by bacflip4 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:32 am

Thanks nikki!

bacflip4

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:38 am

p.s. for parties, my style is always 3/4 because that is what I personally think looks best. so I make every design that way, and I paint by request but I paint it in MY style so everything is consistent.

I may start with someoneelses tutorial but by the party, it evolves into my style.
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by Funhouse_FX on Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:49 am

bacflip4 wrote:
How many designs should I have nailed down to begin with, to be enough for boys and girls?
3 or 4 each is fine. The trick is not to memorize a design, but rather to UNDERSTAND it. Once you understand why it works, what areas should be light and which darker, how things properly line up to look correct, you will be able to adjust it to the individual. And that's the KEY to delivering quality every time.

Since most people base parties on an hourly rate, do you offer the kids cheek, half face, and full face designs? pretty much whatever they want?
I don't do parties really so I cannot answer this.

It seems like most people use a board display to bring with them?  Is this just made from the big heavy poster boards?
If I were doing parties I would probably just bring a design book with 8x10 images in sheet protectors. Bring a few of them, and that way you can have one for yourself until you get more comfortable.

How do the gems stick on the face? to the paint or do you need a glue?
There are two kinds -- self adhesive and non-adhesive. In either case you can use prosaide to glue them down.

do people make their own split/rainbow cakes b/c it's more cost effective?
I have done this a couple times, but felt it wasn't worth the bother. We don't use multicolor cakes, but if I wanted them I would just buy them.  

I need a side income where I can be my own boss and make my own hours.  Is this "business" suitable for that?  Paints seem expensive but, I think I will eventually make a profit?
We are professionals and this is our full time business. It provides the sole support for our family. However, we have been doing this a long time and have invested an incredible amount of work into building our business. We are on the road, travelling, about 11 months a year. In fact, in about four hours we will be pulling out and heading to southern Louisianna for another show. We'll travel about seven hours and open tomorrow night. Which means I better get to bed after posting this.

I bartended on the side for the last 3 years so this is a complete change for me but, I'm excited!
Good! Treat it like a business and be prepared to work! Good luck!
Funhouse_FX

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2013-10-21

http://www.funhousefx.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:28 am

Great advice all around, so I can add much to it except:

1.  Welcome to the forum!  Smile  Hope you love it here.
2.  IMHO, it' often best to delay advertising yourself or starting painting at parties, etc. and charging for work until you're absolutely ready - until you're of a decent, basic professional level art-wise, and also feel confident of your art, hygiene practices and people skills.  I've seen more than one person make things difficult for her own business' future, by jumping in too quickly and gaining a less-than-perfect reputation! I didn't even have a face painting FB page until around a year after I started.

Of course, how long (2) takes varies significantly from painter to painter - some are ready to start in a matter of months, some not for years!  Very Happy

At my first gig (for charity, PPF) I offered around 15 faces on my board, but inevitably you have children asking for designs that aren't on it!  Whether or not you accept these requests is up to you, and up to your level of confidence.  You'll probably be TERRIFIED before your first gig...but if you're well-prepared and very well-practised, you'll rock it.  Smile

Kammy x
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jnzfoo on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:55 pm

I'm totally in your boat!! I'm so glad you posted this. So much great info! I've only been a member about a week and I've already learned a ton and everyone is so incredibly uplifting and supportive. WELCOME!!
jnzfoo

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-11-02

http://madeupdaydreams.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bacflip4 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:48 am

Great advice everyone!  Thanks! I just did my first practice run on my husband last night!  He was not too happy about it at first but then was laughing. I think I did ok for my first time but obv have a lot more practicing to do.  Also theres a charity fair going on in 4 weeks looking for volunteers.  there will be 20-30 kids and its for 5 hours.  Should I volunteer at this to get my practicing in??? They said we can put a tip jar out.

bacflip4

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:48 am

charity for kids = lots of paint gone.

is the whole event free?if so, people generally don't carry cash with them so don't expect much for tips.

on the other hand, sounds like the only person you're "wasting" paint on is your husband.lol.

I say, do it.
get some business cards with your number and contact info, saying your name and that you facepaint...pass them out to EVERY SINGLE PERSON YOU PAINT.
bring a camera too and ask every person if you can take their picture.just say "is it okay if I take your picture while you look in the mirror?"...it doesn't take any extra time-as long as you leave your camera out next to your stuff.i put mine in an apron.

this way, you can quickly get your name out into the LOCAL community, free advertisement, and some pictures for your portfolio or website.

plus, it is free, so it is the perfect time to practice....now you aren't wasting paint-some kid will walk around happy all day from your practice.

if the event has other items for sale, like food or drinks, you have a much higher chance of getting good donations....and if you put on the tip jar "$5 donations", that is what the people who DID bring money will most likely leave.
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by bacflip4 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:08 am

The event is having free entertainment for kids so face painting, balloon animals, and whatever else they can round up. People are setting up booths to sell crafts and food at $50 a spot so I think that's where they are raising their money. He said there will be 20-30 kids but, could be more. He also said he's probably having a couple high school kids face paint also. So I'm not sure if that means they are supplying paints but, I'm obv going to use my own and not letting anyone else use them. I don't mind "wasting" these paints b/c I really only bought them for practice anyways and like you said I will def bring a camera and business cards. For the next few weeks I'll continue painting the husband! Thanks!! Very Happy 

bacflip4

Back to top Go down

Post by jnzfoo on Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:39 am

I think out sounds like a great opportunity. I wish I could find something like that here. W seen to be very light on events with space that wasn't full 6 months ago. Sad good luck! I think your first two look great!
jnzfoo

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:09 am

if people are selling, then people are buying.

I've just found that at events for free stuff for kids, if nothing else is for sale, many people don't come with money because they think every activity is going to be free.

good luck to you! sounds like a great opportunity and a money maker!
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by bacflip4 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:55 pm

jnzfoo wrote:I think out sounds like a great opportunity. I wish I could find something like that here. W seen to be very light on events with space that wasn't full 6 months ago. :(good luck! I think your first two look great!
Thanks, it's hard being a newbie but, I'm confident I can be good at this with practice and help from all these great people! Keep an eye on craigslist. That's were I found the opportunity.

bacflip4

Back to top Go down

Post by jnzfoo on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:36 pm

Craigslist! I hadn't even thought of that. Iknow how you feel. It's great to feel so stoppered in a new, kind of scary venture. At least for me. I LOVE to paint but I have a hard time putting myself out there. Smile my little boy saw your ninja turtle and loved it and wants one. Looks like I'll be attempting it tomorrow. Smile
jnzfoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top