Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

GOODBYE Kitty! Popular designs OFF the menu?

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: GOODBYE Kitty! Popular designs OFF the menu?

Post by nikkili26 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:11 pm

omg, did you see arjhay's new captain America design?
I can barely wait til the next boy asks for it!!!!!!!!
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:27 pm

The thing with face painting is that it's not a necessity, it's a treat. †

Nobody NEEDS to get their face painted in the first place, and nobody would HAVE to pay extra to get the more expensive designs, they can tell their kids no. †(Although I do wonder if some parents even realise that the word 'NO' is allowed in their parental vocabulary, but that's another issue!) †If they choose to pay the extra for a more expensive design then that's their decision. †

I see no problem with charging extra for designs you don't want to paint...nobody has to pay it!
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by ReRe on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:01 pm

I was at an event and every boy on the high school basketball team wanted HK and the girls wanted batman. Go figure... Ended up doing different color bows and nose combinations on each HK. Got pretty comical.
ReRe

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2013-10-28

http://jazzndazzle.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veelux on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:08 am

I see that side too, and get your reasoning to a point I guess, the point I was making was more of a personal preference. I try to think of it as the average consumer and I am "fairly cheap", but there were lots of times as a single mom that I had to pass on things because they were too pricey. I got into this business not only to make money, but to bring joy, and have the most fun I can "working". On the other hand, the face painting is just one part of my business and I don't make my living doing that alone and I always come away feeling like I gave the parents a deal that makes them feel good about their choice. I am not in anyway judging anyone, just putting my 2 cents in.
veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:22 am

hey, cater to the customer you want. it's all good Smile
we all have different mission statements for our business.
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:01 pm

veelux wrote:I personally don't agree with charging more for a design you are "sick of painting" - it doesn't seem fair to the client but that's just me. †I would sooner refuse to do it than charge more for that reason.
I believe in supply & demand. I am in this to make kids happy yes, but I am also in this to make money. It's a business so treat it as one. I had young children once and could not always afford all the things they needed and wanted. They lived and became good citizens. It did not hurt them (long term) that I was not able to give them the best or the most expensive things that they wanted. I will go out of my way for a child in need. But this is face painting and they do not need a $10 HK to live. I believe that a child should not be raised to think that life is always going to be fair. Let's face it, life is not fair and the sooner they learn this the better off they will be.
Now tell me you are going to stick with lower prices just so all children may be able to afford it? That business plan sucks in my opinion. Sorry, but I do not see the logic in that.
gypsy6974

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:37 pm

veelux wrote:I see that side too, and get your reasoning to a point I guess, the point I was making was more of a personal preference. †I try to think of it as the average consumer and I am "fairly cheap", but there were lots of times as a single mom that I had to pass on things because they were too pricey. †I got into this business not only to make money, but to bring joy, and have the most fun I can "working". †On the other hand, the face painting is just one part of my business and I don't make my living doing that alone and I always come away feeling like I gave the parents a deal that makes them feel good about their choice. †I am not in anyway judging anyone, just putting my 2 cents in.
I forgot to add this. Who says that my designs are not a joy for the child or the parents. I have many happy parents because I do the best job that I am capable of and I am always working on becoming better by practicing, practicing and practicing. I don't look at it as the average consumer but what I am worth and what my area can afford. I look at it as a business owner not a mom. Why do you think that joy can only be had for being CHEAP? Yes, we all love a good bargain but I am not the bargain basement or flea market. Also, face painting & glitter tattoos are my only business. I too was a single mom with a dead-beat dad, no child support, x-husband that would leave a job (many times) before a process server could serve him with papers. But what does that have to do with your business? I loved drawing and was doing that since my earliest memories. I did my first oil painting at 19 and then 3 children and a divorce I did not have the luxury to do what I loved. Now I have that luxury and I still need to support myself. Just my opinion...
gypsy6974

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:50 pm

so many good points.

if this is just a side income, or if you have many employees able to work for very little, you could easily afford to provide cheap affordable facepainting....but we are people, not giant corporations like walmart....

you've really got to treat this business more like a unique boutique if you want to work smarter instead of harder.
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:26 pm

nikkili26 wrote:so many good points.

if this is just a side income, or if you have many employees able to work for very little, you could easily afford to provide cheap affordable facepainting....but we are people, not giant corporations like walmart....

you've really got to treat this business more like a unique boutique if you want to work smarter instead of harder.
I like that a unique boutique...
gypsy6974

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot on Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:25 am

I took off my mini HK from my books and just offer the mask now - same amount of time and i like my outline better.
SewDarnHot

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-10-29

http://www.ArizonaFacePainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:16 am

SewDarnHot wrote:I took off my mini HK from my books and just offer the mask now - same amount of time and i like my outline better.
You took your HK off the board, OK to each his/her own. I don't understand the rest of it and I am having a problem with that one. What do you qualify a mini HK to be??? I would think that you are talking about cheek-art. We were not talking about cheek-art but the full face. How could anyone get away with receiving $10 for cheek art. That's not a question but a statement. I don't do cheek-art if I can help it, and I usually can help it and I don't do it. The only way I would do it is, if it were a simple design, not tedious and uses less than 3 colors. I would love to know your definition of a mini HK? Inform me please...
gypsy6974

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:56 am

yeah, $10 for cheekart is nuts.i don't think SDH said $10 though.....my "mini hk" is this:

my "full face" is this:

these are just practice runs on the kids for speed, but that's all I've got pics of.the ones people pay for are done with nice paint, and glitter and are neater.

nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:00 pm

nikkili26 wrote:yeah, $10 for cheekart is nuts.i don't think SDH said $10 though.....my "mini hk" is this:

my "full face" is this:

these are just practice runs on the kids for speed, but that's all I've got pics of.the ones people pay for are done with nice paint, and glitter and are neater.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have never heard of a mini HK or anything else like it. I have never heard the term used. I would call that 1/2 face since it is half of the face. It does not matter where half of the face is as long as it's half of the face. Even if we do a butterfly and it's on both eyes we call it 1/2. Half face can also be one side of the face from top to bottom. So, I would think that the whole forehead and sides of eyes would be 1/2 face. All I could think of when he said mini is check art. WOW. I like both your HK's. They are good I just don't like the HK itself. I detest her. The last festival I did, I had mostly my cats and spider-man was popular this time even and even on a girl. She did not want the pink spider-girl but the red. Oh well to each their own. But yes your HK is fine. Is this some new term that I may have missed? It's not used here nor in anything that I have read.
I am brushing up on my Christmas designs this week. We had family running in and out of here for 4 days around Thanksgiving because everyone works different shifts. Then this Day gets drug into 4. No time to practice and do anything but cook and clean.
Happy Painting
gypsy6974

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:03 pm

gypsy6974 wrote:
nikkili26 wrote:yeah, $10 for cheekart is nuts.i don't think SDH said $10 though.....my "mini hk" is this:

my "full face" is this:

Thanks for clearing that up. I have never heard of a mini HK or anything else like it. I have never heard the term used. I would call that 1/2 face since it is half of the face. It does not matter where half of the face is as long as it's half of the face. Even if we do a butterfly and it's on both eyes we call it 1/2. Half face can also be one side of the face from top to bottom. So, I would think that the whole forehead and sides of eyes would be 1/2 face. All I could think of when he said mini is check art. WOW. †I like both your HK's. They are good I just don't like the HK itself. I detest her. The last festival I did, I had mostly my cats and spider-man was popular this time even and even on a girl. She did not want the pink spider-girl but the red. Oh well to each their own. But yes your HK is fine. Is this some new term that I may have missed? It's not used here nor in anything that I have read.
I am brushing up on my Christmas designs this week. We had family running in and out of here for 4 days around Thanksgiving because everyone works different shifts. Then this Day gets drug into 4. No time to practice and do anything but cook and clean. †
Happy Painting
I am the one that was talking to Coral 3 when she wanted to take her HK down. I said no just charge more and I told her I bumped my price up twice. The last price was $10.00. Then many other people said the same thing bump the price up instead of pulling a popular design. So that is how this topic started and that is where the 10.00 came in.
gypsy6974

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:57 am

I even get asked for Hello Kitty at my College Basketball gig. Sheís in all the stores, so she will be popular for a while. I like painting her because she is easy and fast.
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:48 pm

eviedejesus wrote:

I even get asked for Hello Kitty at my College Basketball gig. Sheís in all the stores, so she will be popular for a while. I like painting her because she is easy and fast.
To me she is dull and boring. I also get tired of painting her over and over again, especially when there are so many other things on my board like butterflies. cats, tigers and so much else the for girls. I detest that stupid plain cat. If it does not bore you to tears then all the more power to you. I want to paint something new and I get tired of the same old thing
gypsy6974

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:06 am

Iím sure after I have some experience under my belt, Iíll feel the same way. Lol.
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:36 am

eviedejesus wrote:Iím sure after I have some experience under my belt, Iíll feel the same way. Lol.
I am sure you will. Especially when there are so many beautiful designs for girls. I want to paint them. I can't understand why that HK has been around for so long and why it is popular? It would be off my board but now the higher price want's me to paint that darn HK. I thought after I raised it and raised it again that they would stop picking it but a lot still do. Then the last festival I painted a lot of 1/2 tigers for girls and only did one HK in two days. I was thrilled.
gypsy6974

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:59 am

You know, it's SUCH a comfort to me that there are others out there who detest HK every bit as much as I do! lol Very Happy
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:24 am

HK has no soul.

Going back to my box now.

xoxo
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3325
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ on Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:39 am

I love when you say that, Fess, (you said it once before, but that's okay - it needs to be repeated!), because it absolutely describes the truth! I never got the thing with this image.

I paint it too, and it's super popular. But I don't mind painting it, just like with that red and black boy character, because it does make them so happy. It's mostly very little girls who choose it.

I try to have fun with the bow.

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by faceandbodyfx on Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:19 pm

Ok so I still have yet to paint a hello kitty. Mainly because I have yet to find one I really like I don't like cheek art and full face just tends to come out looking funny. So does anyone have some pictures I can see in hope to find one I like????
faceandbodyfx

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2012-02-25

http://www.faceandbodyfx.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:34 pm

JJJJJ wrote:I love when you say that, Fess, (you said it once before, but that's okay - it needs to be repeated!), because it absolutely describes the truth! I never got the thing with this image.

I paint it too, and it's super popular. But I don't mind painting it, just like with that red and black boy character, because it does make them so happy. It's mostly very little girls who choose it.

I try to have fun with the bow.
Unfortunately that is not the case here, even the 12 and 13 year old girls want that dang HK. I do wish she would go live someplace else. I like the way Fess said it she has no soul... That sounds about right to me. What a great way to describe her infestation of these children's minds.
gypsy6974

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:50 pm

faceandbodyfx wrote:Ok so I still have yet to paint a hello kitty. †Mainly because I have yet to find one I really like I don't like cheek art and full face just tends to come out looking funny. †So does anyone have some pictures I can see in hope to find one I like????
I have never and will never take a pic. of that HK, except the one for my board. Sorry but YouTube that soulless HK. Then maybe someone here that is happy to paint her will show you a pick.
Happy Painting
gypsy6974

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybugwithlocs on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:41 pm

No soul Hahahaha I just HAD to comment. As far as charging more my business motto is "if it makes money it makes sense."

Ladybugwithlocs

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top