Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Need some advice about website

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need some advice about website

Post by DebbieB on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:52 pm

Hey everybody,

I have decided to jump in headfirst, and hope I don't slam my head on the bottom. I am trying to put together a respectable website. Even though I have painted faces for a couple of years, I don't have many pictures to show and the few that I do have, let's just say, aren't professional looking. I am also "new" in doing it for myself (and for those who read my rant about SIL, I can't use any of her stuff). So, how would all of you word the section about me? Do I say I am new and limited in certain skills or make it known I am constantly improving? I don't want to come off sounding stupid, but I am not sure how to market myself? I have done a few festivals, a corporate thing and birthday parties and I have a local bowling alley that is gonna let me set up and paint for a small cut and I am sure I will be asked about a website, business cards (on their way to me) and such and I want to be prepared.
DebbieB

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-09-09

http://www.debsdreamydesigns.wix.com/debs

Back to top Go down

Re: Need some advice about website

Post by thouartbeautiful on Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:16 pm

Do you have a Facebook page yet? I think that's a great start for compiling ideas and stuff for your own website
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DebbieB on Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:24 pm

I have a personal page, but not a business one. I have so little to even put on a web page, much less a facebook page. I thought since I can use graphics to "dress up" a website, that that would be a better route to take until I can get more pictures for it. I have a bunch of designs that I can do, just not many photos to show for it. I am hoping to have a good many more in a couple of weeks.
DebbieB

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful on Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:27 pm

I just felt that going through the process of making a FB page "organized" me a little bit more and preparing me for my website.  Plus, it's free and linked into your personal page for easy sign in and such.
thouartbeautiful

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:07 pm

I'm new, but I would never mention it on my site or to my clients. My photo's aren't professional either, but I feel like they still hold their own against the local competition...side by side comparison, they may have crystal clear photos, but the art is still not as good.
sometimes the client is looking for good art, sometimes they are looking for good entertainment-your actual interview could make or break you.

As a new person, just put up samples, try to get good shots of the face painting- and if you have photo software, try blacking out the background.

I just post my designs on facebook...gives clients something to look forward to as they wait for their booked event-they always message me saying "oh, my daughter loves that one! can't wait for this party" or "oh, the boys want that dragon!"

my next investment is going to be photoshop and a good camera. but baby steps!
can't do it all at once!

I have not operated in the red yet since I've started, and as exciting as all the bells and whistles are, I am pacing myself.

I have a twitter, a website, a face book, online booking agencies, and free online listings.
If it is free, DO IT.
check out your local competition-is your artwork good enough to stand up against theirs, despite the lack of fancy photography?if so, do without it for now. focus on that later.

the shocker for me is that you haven't made a business page yet-if you have insurance and paints, what are you waiting for?
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by DebbieB on Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:21 pm

I tried to make a facebook page, but it just looked so plain and pathetic that I just quit messing with it. I took my daughter to a couple of parties to take some pictures for me and they were horrible, like kids with just horrible expressions and close ups of boogers. Nothing that I would put on a webpage of any kind.

I have looked and there is only one website of a local painter, but theirs is a full on, full service expensive thing with tattoos, balloons and party extras that I won't be doing so I don't feel like that's a competitor since her price is so high. No pictures on her page so I don't know about quality?? I will be offering face painting only.

I have just now gotten all my ducks in a row enough to start advertising, I just don't know what to say. I have looked at a bunch of forum members websites to kind of get a clue, but I am stumped.
DebbieB

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:26 pm

when you say it looked plain, what do you mean?

you can see mine (nicholewest.facepaint)-all I do is update with a picture every once in awhile.

My son and neice are cute, like your emma...so whenever they beg for a paint, I take a picture.

I don't do pictures at parties for exactly the reason you mentioned...lol.
I've actually examined professional websites, and many times, those "photo ops" are staged...and most likely by a professional photographer with professional models.
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by DebbieB on Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:53 pm

I mean I have essentially nothing to put on it. I was hoping to wait on the facebook page until after a couple of days at the bowling alley where I will have a chance to take my time and do good designs and take some pics.

My Emma is a great model but runs when she sees a paintbrush. I think I have turned her against it lol

I am looking in to all the free advertising things, but i gotta concentrate on one thing at a time, ya know?
DebbieB

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:02 pm

Just start with a rough outline. Use one good picture for a profile (your avatar should work just fine if you feel you don't have something better). You can use any nice wallpaper that's professional for your cover photo and other photos can be added as they come. Then just outline what you have to offer.

1. What service are you providing, what does a common booking look like.
2. What areas are you willing to work in.
3. Are there anyother extras that your service provides?
4. Who are you and why does that make you an awesome person to hire.
Just some ideas to start getting your content going Smile
thouartbeautiful

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:03 pm

If you don't believe you have enough content for a free FB page then I wouldn't even think of a webpage as of yet, just my opinion though.
thouartbeautiful

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:12 pm

if you just post the stuff you put on this forum, you will have tons of content. you have posted up a good gallery worth of photo's already....even if you just start off with that sugar skull, you're ready.
nikkili26

Back to top Go down

Post by DebbieB on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:36 pm

I guess it's just, looking at other pages and there is just buttloads of information and pretty pics and such, everything I am attempting just seems inadequate. I have about 9-10 pictures that aren't really great, but usable. I may just take out the page "about me" until I feel I have more to say. Wink 
DebbieB

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:52 pm

It's taking me A LOT of baby steps to get where I want to be, and of course everything it seems can be such a challenge! I am just bumbling over the hurdles but it's one step ahead of where I was just a second before. You are the only person to give YOUR vision to the masses, so don't sell yourself short. I think you are taking a lot of courage and risk to put yourself out there, and once you get to the point where you realize your progress it will feel so rewarding! Keep at it Smile
thouartbeautiful

Back to top Go down

Post by DebbieB on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:59 pm

Thanks Thou and nikki

I just went from being hurt and wanting to be done with it all, to being really pissed and wanting to DO it all and it's frustrating (to say the least) to be stuck not knowing which way to go next. Now I am looking all over for a contract (shannon supposedly has one, but I can't find it) to get an idea of what needs to be in one. When I get done with the page, would you guys mind looking it over and give me honest feedback? It's gonna take me a few days to get everything in it that I need to, but just a general of how it is so far?
DebbieB

Back to top Go down

Post by jnzfoo on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:22 am

wow! I know what you mean!! I'm trying to put a website together right now, and I have no idea what to charge and I'm not sure what to say about myseld AT ALL! I feel like a dork everytime a try to put stuff on there. sigh* I'm painting my kids like crazy trying to get some pictures for a gallery. My next step is a facebook page and I'm working on cards too. I'm terrified, can I just say? i will gladly look your over if you'll do the same for me! Smile
jnzfoo

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-11-02

http://madeupdaydreams.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Magick on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:08 am

ok...........

1) go on craigs list and look for a photographer that is looking to add to his or her portfolio. they usually will do it for trade out.

2) get models to paint...friends family some kids in the area adults doesnt matter as long as its free!

3) combine the two and get some professional content done for free.

4) come up with your business name.

5) come up with your logo

once you have this done your ready to start work on your copy.

getting down to the page format.

if you think about it for a moment you will realize that people that are shopping for a service or product scan pages and do so as fast as they can. you need something that is going to grab them right away. it has to stop them dead in their tracks. it has to be written as they can not see pics as they are scanning through the google hits.

so you need a catch phrase thats going to hit them... it has to be descriptive. it has to be exciting.

next your put in your description.
this is where you tell about what you offer. you will want to load this with benefits. what sets you apart from those other painters. what type of paint you use. what are the qualities you posses.

scatter in quotes from past clients (what others have said) keeping in mind that your just starting out use quotes from friends and family. just use the first names and high lite them.

bio page.
this is where you tell all about you. your experience, what got you started. how long you have been performing this service. make sure you put in all your time in....this includes any time prior to becoming a pro. when you were doing this just for fun....

never say your new! if you want to be treated like a professional then you must present your self as one. give them the face of confidence. if im looking to higher someone I will never higher the insecure amateur when it comes to my children.

contact page

media page

this should give you a basic idea. hope it helps a lil bit.

Michael Magick
Michael Magick

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2013-02-24

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Belief-Magic/1166254450630

Back to top Go down

Post by jnzfoo on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am

Michael Magick, you are a gem. Smile
jnzfoo

Back to top Go down

Post by DebbieB on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:48 am

Jnzfoo and Michael............. I went ahead and made one, it's online and published but it's not complete. I wanted to get one up because I looked and there wasn't a page for a face painter in my area, so I figured go ahead and get one online and just work on it till I get it right. I am just gonna leave off the "about me" page until I have more to say. LOL

You can click the world icon under my avatar and see what I have so far and give me some feedback. I have a couple of things coming up in a couple of weeks to add more pics. ........... I am listed with "gigmasters" "gigsalad" and "mypartyplanner" ........ and I was gonna list " let me add color, sparkle and fun to your event" on my cards and stuff as a catchphrase????
DebbieB

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:57 am

Debbie - It looks good! I missed this whole thread before, so I wasn't able to offer any advice. I'm proud of you, girl!!! cheers cheers cheers 

p.s. I'm still sending you that glitter I promised I love you 
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by DebbieB on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks Miss Ronnie cheers  You are more than welcome to go give me my first review (hint,hint) if you wanna.

Is there anything you would change, say different, or whatever? I have been looking at a bunch of websites from Forum members trying to get some ideas, but I am still adding stuff.
DebbieB

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Debbie,
I don't know what you are talking about. Your website looks great!
Looks like you took that kick in the pants your SIL handed you, and let it motivate you to DO something.
Go you!
Michael is right. One way I get tons of pictures is to volunteer at my church's Mother's Day Out program. I send a photo release a few days ahead, and they bring it to me the day of. I show up with my paints and a list of designs I need to do. I give each kid a choice of 2-3 designs, which makes sure I get pics of what I need. I will rarely paint more than one of any design, unless I feel like it didn't turn out as great as I needed. (wiggly kid)
I hang a black poster behind them, paint them by a window, so I have great natural light, and snap a photo with my Kodak EasyShare.
Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
Free face painting for them, free photos for me. Win-win.
Go girl. It looks like you are on your way.
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DebbieB on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:42 pm

Sounds like a good idea Diane, I am looking into some avenues to get some better pics. It has taken a week to get the website the way I wanted it so thanks for the encouragement and approval of it.

I was kind of on the fence about whether I wanted to do this after the SIL fiasco, but then word came that she was pissed that I was doing something on my own AND her partner was pissed because I was gonna be helping SIL. So they can have each other and I'll do my own stuff lol
DebbieB

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Magick on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:31 pm

what you have is a good start. but google will not find you anytime soon. there is nothing on your page for the webcrawlers to grab onto from your main landing page.
your city
the areas you want to work

the other pages rock except the price page....
for me personally I would never post a set price on a page. this removes all wiggle room you have for negotiations. it does not take into account travel expenses. time that you spend locked into that travel that prevent you from booking another gig in that dead time. personally I would remove the pricing and put in "types of events" then just use the descriptives for each type of event your selling.

now lets look at how you show up on google

ok doing a google search of your area brought up this

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=face+painter+in+Rome,+GA&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

first thing i noticed is you have a gigsalad page and your listed right at the top because of it. this is awesome. now lets capitalize on this a bit more, gig salad has a 1 minute website that lets you use things you post from gigsalad to that page easy, they also offer links to your personal website, your face book, your twitter and any other media outlet. use them. the more you can connect your pages to your name on google the more google will put you up top. the more you are listed in google the more REAL you become in the eyes of the people looking for you.  

the next thing i noticed is your not on a google+ page listing...... this is very important! its free, it gives you analytics. it gives you a free blog, the ability to offer discounts and coupons through google.....

do a google search for all the cities and areas close to you that you want to hit. then saturate them with your info as we. make sure to list the areas you want to work on your page as google will crawl on your page looking for content for that area.  

page content.
you have one benefit on that page... fda approved paints. this is awesome as it gives a level of competence and professionalism to you and your company. see if you can find more descriptives that would fit you and what you do..
============================================================
title and descriptive
LET DEB'S DREAMY DESIGNS ADD FUN,COLOR AND SPARKLE TO YOUR NEXT EVENT!
Face painting is a great option for birthday parties, fairs/festivals, school functions, fundraisers, company/corporate events, and lots more.
============================================================
the above is just a small redo of what you have on your page done in a way that it becomes an attention grabber.

the last thing I would definitely make sure to put on your page is a call to action.

"BOOK YOUR DATE NOW BEFORE TIME RUNS OUT! "

the above is a simple call to action but it gives a sense of urgency to the buyer. this type of tool is used by every great marketer.

"while supplies last"
"limited time only"

just some ideas to help get your mind spinning hope it helps a bit
please do not think im trying to put down your efforts you actually did better then I did the first time i put up a site lol. im just a marketer and have been for many years.

your friend

Michael Magick

Michael Magick

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2013-02-24

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Belief-Magic/1166254450630

Back to top Go down

Post by jnzfoo on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:43 pm

I'm heading to your page as soon as my littles are down for naps! Michael Magick!! Again, with the amazingly great advice. I hope you don't mind if I use it for my project too. Smile
jnzfoo

Back to top Go down

Post by DebbieB on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:53 pm

I appreciate all the time and effort you took to write all that lol

I'm still tweaking everything but I will definitely follow your suggestions.

I've seen too many things on this forum about needing a price on the site so what would you think if I say a price for local birthday parties but put a disclaimer about prices being different if not local or something to that effect?
DebbieB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top