Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Hello From Japan

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello From Japan

Post by stef76s4s18 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:21 pm

Hello everyone !
I was searching on the net few infos about "to do face painting outside in a cold and windy weather" and I found this great forum.
I live in Japan for 11 years now. I come from Fx Makeup but I love artistic makeup since...a long time.
I have started face painting little by little and I can't stop doing it now.
I do photoshoot, collaboration work for free and I have started to do events 2 years ago.

I was contacted to participate at an event and I was so excited than I said YES and THANK YOU for the opportunity but now I have few questions in my mind and I would be happy to have few advices as I'm still beginner in the business side of it.

The event will take place in a city which is 2h by train and bus (I can't use a car these 2 days) from home.
The temperature have gotten down recently (14 degrees celsius more or less) and this part of the region is always windy.
The event will be an outside market.
The person who contacted me asked me to pay for sharing the place (approx. 10 dollars a day, event on 2 days). She can't afford to pay for the transportations and for the hotel BUT the visitors will pay for face painting.
I don't expect to earn lot of money but I can't do it if it is a big deficit. It is not 100% sure that the money I may earn will pay all back.
For the experience this is a great opportunity. I don't want to cancel and it won't be nice for the person who asked me but thinking of the weather, the costs...
Thinking of all those facts, plus my husband wanting me to cancel....
I would like to give a try and to do it for one day.

Thank you in advance.

stef76s4s18

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-11-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello From Japan

Post by fesspenter on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:40 pm

Welcome to the Forum!
Last April 2013 I did face painting for an outdoor event. It snowed. It rained. It hailed. It was windy. We were in a tent outside. It was -10C
If I had it to do again....
I wouldn't.
We all wore gloves that I cut the first two fingers off.
We wore battery operated socks.
Our water was freezing.

If I HAD to do it again...
I would put the paint on heating pads.
I would put the water in a coffee mug on one of those plug in warmers for personal coffee mugs.
I would bring an infra-red tent heater.
I would have closed off 7/8 of the tent with walls to cut the wind.
My daughters were playing ice hockey and I had polar fleece blankets that we wrapped around ourselves as the world's lumpiest and unfashionable skirts.
We all were wearing down jackets and warm hats.

I bought my team hot chocolates at the four hour mark...and the 25 foot trip from the Second Cup shop to our tent rendered our hot chocolate into tepid chocolate.

Happy, warm painting!
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3326
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by veelux on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:46 pm

Welcome to the forum. Not sure I would be too excited to do this event....there will be more opportunities probably that will be less stressful and less"cold" for you. It's your choice of course, but really think about working in those conditions and how many kids will really spend the time and money if the weather is very poor. You may very well end up spending alot more than you earn, and get sick for the trouble. If you do decide to do it, stay warm and have fun. Peace.
veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nancy! on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:17 am

Welcome on the forum.
nancy!

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:40 am

Welcome to the forum!
maggie

Number of posts : 2677
Registration date : 2010-11-27

http://www.maggieplummerfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:08 pm

Welcome to the forum! 
Hajimemashite!
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:45 am

Welcome!!! My daughter loves Japan and wants to visit someday. She also wants to learn Japanese! Very Happy 
Terina

Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.royalmagicevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stef76s4s18 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:08 am

Thank you all for you reply, I really appreciate.
Few changes since. I will do face painting only 1 day.
This will be a good opportunity to check how it is to do an outdoor event in November in the Tokai area. I will be able to say YES or NO for outdoor events after that. Razz 

stef76s4s18

Back to top Go down

Thank you Terina

Post by stef76s4s18 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:13 am

Terina wrote:Welcome!!! My daughter loves Japan and wants to visit someday. She also wants to learn Japanese! Very Happy 
I wanted to go to Japan but I've never known that I will live there. I have started to learn japanese by myself, then at the University. It takes time and even now I'm still learning.
I hope she will come and visit this country someday.

stef76s4s18

Back to top Go down

Thank you

Post by stef76s4s18 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:17 am

I will go with warm clothes as the person in charge told me this morning that it will be freezing cold. It will be an interested way to check how the paint works, how the customers react and how many customers will let me paint them. Thank you for your advice.

fesspenter wrote:Welcome to the Forum!
Last April 2013 I did face painting for an outdoor event.  It snowed. It rained. It hailed. It was windy.  We were in a tent outside.  It was -10C
If I had it to do again....
I wouldn't.
We all wore gloves that I cut the first two fingers off.
We wore battery operated socks.
Our water was freezing.  

If I HAD to do it again...
I would put the paint on heating pads.  
I would put the water in a coffee mug on one of those plug in warmers for personal coffee mugs.
I would bring an infra-red tent heater.
I would have closed off 7/8 of the tent with walls to cut the wind.
My daughters were playing ice hockey and I had polar fleece blankets that we wrapped around ourselves as the world's lumpiest and unfashionable skirts.  
We all were wearing down jackets and warm hats.

I bought my team hot chocolates at the four hour mark...and the 25 foot trip from the Second Cup shop to our tent rendered our hot chocolate into tepid chocolate.  

Happy, warm painting!

stef76s4s18

Back to top Go down

Thank you

Post by stef76s4s18 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:22 am

Thank you for your message.
I was worried first but now I think I have to do it to see how it will work so that I will be able to say NO or YES but ... to the next client. I plan to have fun (if it is really cold I may dance a little during the Heros character show lol) One day instead of two will be a interesting experience.

veelux wrote:Welcome to the forum.  Not sure I would be too excited to do this event....there will be more opportunities probably that will be less stressful and less"cold" for you.  It's your choice of course, but really think about working in those conditions and how many kids will really spend the time and money if the weather is very poor. You may very well end up spending alot more than you earn, and get sick for the trouble.  If you do decide to do it, stay warm and have fun.  Peace.

stef76s4s18

Back to top Go down

Thank you Nancy

Post by stef76s4s18 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:22 am

nancy! wrote:Welcome on the forum.

stef76s4s18

Back to top Go down

Thank you Maggie

Post by stef76s4s18 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:23 am

maggie wrote:Welcome to the forum!

stef76s4s18

Back to top Go down

ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU !

Post by stef76s4s18 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:24 am

Hajimemashite ! too

thouartbeautiful wrote:Welcome to the forum! 
Hajimemashite!

stef76s4s18

Back to top Go down

Post by veelux on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:27 am

Good for you , you are a brave soul!!cheers cheers I will be interested to see how it turns out for you. If you laugh lots you will stay warmer!
peace
veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:54 am

^.^ I'm really wishing I had a Japanese keyboard but I'll give it a shot, I hardly ever get a chance to practice Wink my grammar is not so good but, it's been over 10 years since college, but at least i can only get better!

Douitashimashite! Itsuka nihon ni ikimasuyo. Watashi wa daigakkou ni nihongo o benkyoshimasu demo jyonsu jya arimasen. Doko o sundeimasuka? Watashi no boyfriend o kanagawa ni sudeimashita. Anata gasuki? Anata o hanashite ureshii desu. Arigatou gozaimasu! <3
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stef76s4s18 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:41 am

messeji arigatou ! watashi mo daigaku de nihongo no benkyou wo shimashita. Jitsu ha furansujin desu. Shujin ha nihonjin desu. Kanagawa ha shitte imasu kedo itta koto ga arimasen. Gifu ni sunde imashita kedo ima ha Shizuoka.

thouartbeautiful wrote:^.^ I'm really wishing I had a Japanese keyboard but I'll give it a shot, I hardly ever get a chance to practice Wink my grammar is not so good but, it's been over 10 years since college, but at least i can only get better!

Douitashimashite! Itsuka nihon ni ikimasuyo. Watashi wa daigakkou ni nihongo o benkyoshimasu demo jyonsu jya arimasen. Doko o sundeimasuka? Watashi no boyfriend o kanagawa ni sudeimashita. Anata gasuki? Anata o hanashite ureshii desu. Arigatou gozaimasu! <3

stef76s4s18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top