Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Hi from New Orleans, La. the gypsy cajun

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi from New Orleans, La. the gypsy cajun

Post by gypsy6974 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:41 pm

Hello everyone and I am very pleased to be here. I was snooping around here last year as a guest looking for answers but was afraid to mingle with well seasoned pros. I guess I thought it would be like Facebook where almost everyone can or will jump on you in a heartbeat. I had intended to register but never got around to it and was preparing to open my business and go full speed at it. But another tragedy happened last year in our family and it set me back 8 months. I was unable to watch a class or even pick up a brush it was so devastating. I did not get to open until August this year. I have been busy with festivals and was very happy with my first stab at it. Then a sour festival but the next 3 was good. I also had some birthday parties and they were Hell. I did do all my homework as much as possible before even thinking about this venture.
I am not new to painting or drawing. I have been drawing since my earliest memories and perfecting it each year. My first oil painting I did when I was 19ish. But it is totally different, painting on a still canvas and painting on a moving or squinced up face. Also there are strokes in face painting that we never use in oil. I had to let my art go a long time ago but always intended to get back to it. But there is no money in oil painting for a live pretty good painter.
But here is what get's me. I never knew that face painting existed until about 4 years ago when I went to a park event with my son and granddaughter. When she came back I said what's that? He said it's face painting and I said NO, it's an orange blob. I gave it no other thought but to say people pay for that. I was appalled to say the least. Then a few years later I got to see a real face painter in action and I was hooked and impressed. So, I practiced a lot and still do. I take lessons and I am good enough for a festival or party but I am not putting out the work that I do believe that I am capable of. Of course we want to be fast and under 3 minutes and I can turn the ones I do out fast enough. I am never satisfied with my work and I am my own worst critic. I have a few that takes a little longer and I am OK with that. I need to use my own imagination and something must have happened to me in this life. It is not kicking in, at least not with face painting. The only thing that I have done that is original is a black & gold butterfly . I am not finished tweaking it. I can tweak another's design but where is my imagination? I use to have one. But here I am and doing two things that I love, painting and making children happy. I also want to do more with my art and give back to the charities that I believe in. 1) The children's hospital; 2) the local SPCA or Forster Homes for dogs and cats. As soon as I get my new banner and brochures that I need badly I will do just that.
I would like to thank all of you for being so generous and honest in sharing your stories and answering our newbie questions. Happy Painting and I wish you all the very best.
gypsy6974

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-10-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi from New Orleans, La. the gypsy cajun

Post by thouartbeautiful on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:02 pm

Welcome back then Gypsy! You have to start somewhere and yes, it is VERY different from other art forms. The only person you should compare yourself to is you, and you can only get better! Give a shot at sharing in the newbie show n tell #6 thread, we are all here to encourage and help and not to maul you like a pack of wild hyenas (well, maybe Fess will but we put her  in a box so no worries for now).  Have some cocoa and stay a while! Smile
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:17 pm

I thank you so much and yes I will put up a pic on that thread. I don't mind fess she is funny and never boring that's for sure. So are many others, they should be writing a book on the comedy and tragedy of face painting I will be staying because there are so many great topics and people here. I know from personal experience that one is never too old to learn and there will always be new topics coming Most nights I can't stop reading some of this stuff. I had a bad birthday party a few months ago and I came home and went to the forum. Then I read Tina's party from hell and all I could think of is oh well my day was not that bad after all. Lol. So I will be around as long as the Good Lord is willing. Thanks so much. Happy painting
gypsy6974

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Welcome to the Forum!
There is a game of Face Paint Tag going on in the thread called TAG! You're it!

Like you...I have been drawing and painting my whole life. I took Illustration at college. I studied to be a Master Portrait artist. Nothing compares to the love and joy I feel from face painting. I also adore meeting like-minded peeps on this Forum. I am a creepy stalker.

Going back to my box now.

xoxo
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3328
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:30 pm

I don't yet know you well Lisa but I love your playful banter Smile you can stay out
Of the box and I won't let Ronnie know Wink
thouartbeautiful

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:39 pm

That's OK and I really love your humor Fess. I am serious about you writing a book on the comedy and tragedy of face painting. Yes, it is so good to meet like minded people. It is such a shame when we give up on our dreams of becoming what we wanted to be. But like I said it is never too late. I thought I would be the oldest face painter in this country until I saw a woman that was 68 I do believe on this forum. My I hope I am that lucky.
Thouartbeautifu, such a lovely name. I wonder where Miss Ronnie is tonight? She has such a good wit about her too and she and Fess make a good team. I love to see them together. What a team they are.
gypsy6974

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful on Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:53 pm

Thank you! I get so giddy reading the forum, I try not to eat and browse at the same time for fear of choking! I ditto wanting to see Fess and Ronnie together, I bet their a hoot after some wine Wink someday....someday.
thouartbeautiful

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:37 am

I stayed at Miss Ronnie's house when Elaine Day (Lainey D) attended Pashur's Syracuse Face and Body painting Class.
I had a HOOT!!!!
And....Miss Ronnie's cat, Charley, struck up an immediate friendship.
Good times!
And...while there was alcohol present...nobody needs to drink around Miss Ronnie...she is SO funny!!!!

xoxo
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3328
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael Magick on Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:39 am

welcome to the forum!
Michael Magick

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2013-02-24

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Belief-Magic/1166254450630

Back to top Go down

Post by seitz1031 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:17 pm

Gypsy, I'm new to this forum also I don't post a lot but I read and check for new post 3 to 4 times a day. I too am not new to the art world, I've been creating art since I was a kid. New to face painting but becasue I did folk art for many years, I did not have troble with brush strokes. Sometime this is the hardest to learn.

Suggestion, something I did may help you with creative stuff. Make it a game like stump the painter. I did some charity painting for local fire dept. Take no pictures, give no ideas, let the kids ask you for anything they want painted. Then try to do it,
quickly and professional as possible. Makes you work out of your comfort zone. And
the kids love it. I was a little scared at first but I did it and was pretty good if I say so my self. Don't get me wrong they will come up with some crazy things. Teddy bear riding a turtle, wiazard with two heads, the list goes on. Enjoy yourself.

seitz1031

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:27 pm

fesspenter wrote:I stayed at Miss Ronnie's house when Elaine Day (Lainey D) attended Pashur's Syracuse Face and Body painting Class.  
I had a HOOT!!!!
And....Miss Ronnie's cat, Charley, struck up an immediate friendship.  
Good times!
And...while there was alcohol present...nobody needs to drink around Miss Ronnie...she is SO funny!!!!

xoxo
I knew that visit would turn out well. I really think that you and Miss Ronnie belong together. A perfect team and I would have loved to been a fly on the wall. But then I would have probably dropped from that wall from laughing to death.
I thank all of you for the welcome and Michael Magic I hope you come up with some more marketing post. I loved it.
I have already offered my services to one charity and I will see how that works out. I am waiting for a call back. I do have a lot of experiences as a caregiver and I know now that I can hold myself together when I see someone in a tragic condition or even a bad outcome. I had to do it for my mother, father and than my son in the last 13 years. Also, Fess gave some good advise on this topic. It was serendipity and I was thrilled.
Thank you all and Happy Painting
gypsy6974

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top