Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Velcro didn't work...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Velcro didn't work...

Post by ambercat on Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:58 am

Hi everyone! Very Happy  I decided to finally have a go at putting all my paints inside my two TAG pallets as having them in my small folding craft box just wasn't working.. I was finding I was having to hunt for colours and one strokes in the box as they weren't all on display,then have to take the lids off...all very time consuming... I'd read about some of the forum members using velcro for their paints... and I thought that I'd be able to velcro them all in, on both sides of the pallets (in the bases and the lids) but after repeated efforts, they just wouldn't fit... I don't know if my velcro was too thick or what was wrong, but I had to give the idea away... Has anyone else been able to velcro paints in both the lids and bases of pallets with any success?

Then in one of my searches I found a post by Denise Cold who said she didn't use velcro, just put a cloth over her paints in the scrapbooking cases she used... no lids or anything either.... I have two pieces of foam that came with the pallets... so I'm going to use those! Just have the paints sitting in the pallets, cover them with the foam, then lay another layer of paints on top, then I can shut the lid!! Everything fits perfectly that way... as long as I'm careful when I open the box and not have paints flying everywhere!! I am going to try this method at the next market I go to... I only have a small table, so I had to cram everything else that was in my craft box, into the small green lunch box in the top left hand corner.... I spread everything on my carpet to see if it would all fit... just didn't have my brushes there... but there is a space for them!! I'm really happy with how it looks and hope to goodness it works okay! In the photo, I used Photoshop and outlined in black where my table edges would be.... Sorry this is such a ramblingly long post, but I'm very excited about having ALL my lovely paints there ready to use next time!!! Very Happy 

ambercat

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2013-04-25

http://kathy232323.wix.com/kathys-face-painting

Back to top Go down

Re: Velcro didn't work...

Post by nikkili26 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:46 am

oooooo, i like how you cut your q-tips in half!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i keep my onestrokes in the foam insert...i tried removing them but found it took way more effort.

so i just keep 2 laptops-one with my tag onestrokes, the other with my snaz pallette and favorite prisma cakes.

when i get to a gig, i take the whole foam one stroke tag insert and just place it on the empty side of my other laptop.

this leaves me with 1 totally loaded laptop with all my paints neatly on display.
the empty laptop i use to put my loose pots of black, white, neon pink, silver and random rainbow cakes i MIGHT need but don't always use (the patriot cake, the halloween cake, the fleur/rose cake). i keep my glitter, q-tips and gems seperately just like you-but in my bag within reach but out of sight.
the only glitters i keep out is one irridescent glitter, and one glitter gel...i only grab the others WHEN i need them, and i put them right back.i can usually get away with only using the irridescent glitter....i like to use the gel on roses though because the loose glitter takes away from the design too much.i only bring out the gems if there is extra time to add gems.otherise, i just use the glitter gel AS my gems.

if i DON'T have a table-for instance, i am using a stool as my table, i can easily work just from the open lid of my laptop....i will keep the one with paint CLOSED between uses.that is why that foam insert is so handy for the one strokes....it holds them all so securely that you can just move the whole sheet as if it were a container.

i do NOT use any lids in my pallets-only on my loose containers.

if i had your particular kit, i would turn those solids into half splits because they are taking up too much space in my opinion.keep the other halves as refills.
i have a little dollar store basket for storing pencils or silverware that i keep my loose paints in....that allows me to store up to 9 loose paints without taking up much space at all, but still keeping them available just in case i need them.that would work great for you.
if you did the little basket, you could place all of those 18ml paints into it, and it would sit right between your wipes and lunch box, freeing that space up for your gem boxes (instead of them sitting off to the side).
that would compact your kit to just the space of 2 laptop cases-which really could easily be just one laptop case of paint and one empty one, if you don't mind the small habit of lifting out the foam insert each times you set up....really doesn't take much time-plus the bonus is you could always LEAVE it in the other case, it just won't shut all the way....but a peice of gorrilla tape would help keep it closed enough to transport without everything falling out.
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuck Stark on Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:29 pm

I use velcro for my paints in my kit. But I had mine made to the dimensions where everything would fit.
Chuck Stark

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2013-11-11

http://knoxvillefacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful on Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:42 pm

Hey amber, did you paint your plastic water basin black? What did you use and how is it holding up? Just curious Smile
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie on Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:41 pm

thouartbeautiful wrote:Hey amber, did you paint your plastic water basin black? What did you use and how is it holding up? Just curious Smile
I was going to ask the same question Smile

Great setup. Hope it works for your next event!
maggie

Number of posts : 2677
Registration date : 2010-11-27

http://www.maggieplummerfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat on Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:10 am

Great ideas Nikki! I was looking at those huge solid paints and considering turning them into half splits like the TAG colours... you're right... for the amount of times I use them, I could get away with storing some of them in a little basket which would give me more room.... thanks for the suggestions!!

I'm glad yours worked Chuck.... I was sure I could do it as well, but the cases just aren't deep enough.. I can get by though... just won't be as quick a set up for me as I'd hoped! But still a lot more handy than when I had everything stowed away in my craft box!

Hey Andrea and Maggie! I bought my plastic water basin in that colour... it's actually brown... I like it though as the water doesn't look quite as 'painty' in it as it would in a white basin! I am still considering trying out the 3 smaller water containers though... this one I have is a bit hard to empty out when I'm painting... I'm wondering if smaller cups would be easier and quicker to change the water in.. Mind you, knowing how clumsy I am, I'm sure I'd be constantly knocking the cups over... at least this huge water basin is safe for me!! Very Happy 
ambercat

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2013-04-25

http://kathy232323.wix.com/kathys-face-painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuck Stark on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:18 am

I had mine made deep enough that I can have a 30gram and 90gram cake stacked on each other on one side. The other side I put my split cakes. I keep the less used colors stored under the others. That way all I have to do to get to them is just unscrew the color above them.

I had my case made for me, any hobbyist wood crafter could make it for you. I also had mine made in dimensions that would fit into a rolling scrap booking tote where I keep the rest of my equipment.

As rough as traveling etc. can be on my gear I prefer having a wood case. I'm sure I would have ended up breaking plastic ones.
Chuck Stark

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2013-11-11

http://knoxvillefacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum