Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Should I put out the tip jar???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should I put out the tip jar???

Post by a_better_man_now on Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:30 pm

So, this upcoming weekend I'm doing a gig for the local autism association. It's not a paid gig. it's not a fundraiser of any kind, and as far as I know it's n annual event. It's a Christmas party for families with children in the autism spectrum, and I'll be painting for anyone in attendance who wants it. I've been asked to offer my whole repertoire of faces and simple Christmas themed designs as well. My question is this: should I put out the tip jar? I typically do at unpaid or ppf events, but not at paid events like birthday parties etc, and since I'm not charging at this event, I'm unsure as to whether to put it out on my table or not. any advice or help on this would be appreciated.
a_better_man_now

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2013-10-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Should I put out the tip jar???

Post by Tineke on Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:01 pm

Well, if you're providing your services for free, I think it'll be okay to put out a sign stating that you donated your time and skill, but tips are always welcome (or something like.that. English isn't my first language so if this came out wrong, forgive me :p )
Tineke

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-07-02

http://www.tinekesgrime.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SewDarnHot on Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:06 pm

I would! You should have a sign stating tips accepted and appreciated. I did an event recently that was going to be a pay per face but then the hosts had issues with their event and they asked if i could be a free event. I agreed but they said if i do not make X amount in tips they would cover the rest. This is what I have done at two events they wanted me to be a free activity and it works well.
People saw my sign and my tiny tip jar and it was filled at the end of the night.
however I so want to get one of those big bell ringing tip jars one day when i can afford it. Smile
SewDarnHot

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-10-29

http://www.ArizonaFacePainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veelux on Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:25 pm

I have done it. My signs says "Tipping is Good Karma"
I only have done one such event and it was slow so didn't get anything in my jar.
veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:24 am

if you aren't being paid, YES, PUT OUT A JAR.

I personally don't use a jar-people just hand it to me discreetly and I just tuck it into my apron, bag or wherever out of site.

I also only hand out my card to prospective clients, or to anybody I hear say "I'm going to put this on facebook!"-because I have a facebook page.

at free events, people see your card and just take one because they think they should.....but cards cost money!!!it's great to get your name out there with your data, but at what cost?you are working for free...

a person seriously interested in your contact WILL ask....and they WILL call.

once I did just pass out cards with each face....I still got the same number of requests-and all from the people who told me in advance at the gig....so....that's where I get this "crazy" idea from-but it works for me so far.saves money too!
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by novice tammy on Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:48 am

I agree with Tineke... I would make a sign, saying...
I am donating my time & services at no charge today...
However, tips would be greatly appreciated.
or something like that

When we have done fundraiser events like Relay for Life, and agree to donate a percentage of all our sales to the charity. We have a sign stating that... 40% of all sales today will be donated to the organization name. And have a tip jar sitting with it.
novice tammy

Number of posts : 154

http://www.clowningaroundasheville.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuck Stark on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:48 pm

I would run it by the event coordinator first if you wanted to do this event again. Sometimes people will get upset by this if it wasn't discussed previously, but that is usually more for paid events.

For any unpaid event we always require that we are able to put out signs/business cards and use a tip jar. You need at least the tips to make up for your product use and without getting any gigs from it, you might as well not be there.
Chuck Stark

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2013-11-11

http://knoxvillefacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by novice tammy on Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:08 pm

Yeah I guess I should have added that. I always tell them my conditions for us to be there before we agree to do it. I don't mind donating my time and services for good causes but it is a business and exposure is what it is about for us. Getting our name out there
novice tammy

Number of posts : 154

http://www.clowningaroundasheville.net

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:40 pm

the type of person who would be upset with you putting out a tip jar is the same type of person who will not ask you back out of spite, regardless of if they say yes or no.

just put it out.

if you are being PAID,then yes, ask first.

same thing applies to business cards.
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum