Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Paints without lids on your table

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Paints without lids on your table

Post by ambercat on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:14 am

Hi everyone! On the weekend, I decided to try out my new set-up... with all my paints sitting unlidded in the pallets.... Great while I was there and everything was very handy, but when I got home, I started worrying about them being open like that... it was a windy day so surely dust particles and debri would have landed on the paints? I ended up wiping them all over with a sponge... which took forever!!! Something I never had to worry about when my paints all had lids on, safely tucked away in the craft box. So while I definately saved time at the market, I actually doubled my clean up time!! In the past, I always wiped off the paints that I'd used, but obviously not the ones which I didn't use which still had their lids on.

Do you girls who have your paints open on your table or in your kits, wipe every single one of them down after a gig? It just seems to me that it's a waste of perfectly good paint! But I really don't see any other way around it, other than going back to lids...

And I decided to try the two cup water method... and I really liked it!!! Every time a child sat in the chair, I had a brand new cup of clean water to use for them... recycling it into the second cup where I'd rinse the brushes out after each child, then changing that water every two or three children.... It worked brilliantly!!

And Nikki.... I took your suggestion and threw the used sponges in my bucket under the table with the discarded water and when I went to clean them, they weren't stained at all!!! Thanks so much for that tip!! Very Happy 
ambercat

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2013-04-25

http://kathy232323.wix.com/kathys-face-painting

Back to top Go down

Re: Paints without lids on your table

Post by nikkili26 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:44 am

Yes, I wipe down after every gig.
Doesn't waste as much as you think....I was really worried about using up all my paint, but several packed months later, the only replacements were pink, white, black.yellow and I am only now starting to see the bottom of my red.

I guess my question to you is WHY do you have paint in your kit that doesn't get used?

I use literally everything I bring. I put things away in a plastic container if I know I don't need it, but before every gig, I choose appropriate paints.

Girls love pink, purple, gold, green, teal, blue love white, red, black, brown green and blue.
All my tigers have rainbow, yellow or orange.

I always need a one stroke neon rainbow, and a iridescent glitter, and something to make flames with.

That's necessity, any thing else will be packed but not set out as I work.I also only pull out a specific number of sponges. Helps me judge speed accurately.

Also, I don't necessarily wipe-it is more of a pressing motion that lifts off that whole top layer, along with any glitter, cake crumbs, leaves, or sand.
Boys
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by meenie on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:10 pm

I ALWAYS leave mine open whether in use or not. Simply because I like the way it dries up should i get in too much water and I store them in an A4 plastic box after use. And no, cleaning up for me doesn't take up a lot of surface paint. I rarely paint outdoors though.

meenie

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2013-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by novice tammy on Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:59 pm

What's the best way to clean paints? Mine keep linting up from wiping them with the wipes... Is there anything better to use? water and a cloth maybe?
novice tammy

Number of posts : 154

http://www.clowningaroundasheville.net

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie on Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:14 pm

I have a designated half sponge for cleaning my paints. I start with the lightest colors and end with the dark ones always washing in between swipes. I so this by the kitchen sink.
maggie

Number of posts : 2677
Registration date : 2010-11-27

http://www.maggieplummerfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by novice tammy on Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:24 pm

thanks maggie... it was really bugging me trying to get them clean.
novice tammy

Number of posts : 154

http://www.clowningaroundasheville.net

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie on Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:26 pm

No problem, I used to use wipes and the lint drove me crazy. Smile
maggie

Number of posts : 2677
Registration date : 2010-11-27

http://www.maggieplummerfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ambercat on Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:57 am

Okay, no worries... I will keep on using that method then.... just gently wipe each one with sponge. And I will keep the lids on the ones that I don't use as much. Nikki... I just like having the paints there 'just in case' I might need them... Wink Thanks girls!  Very Happy 
ambercat

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2013-04-25

http://kathy232323.wix.com/kathys-face-painting

Back to top Go down

Post by ReRe on Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:52 am

Thanks for the tip. Unfortuantely all my snaz case lids are broken. They don't last very long at all. I used to stack all of them in Talenti Gelato containers, but since I got my case from Michaels, I have them laid out on the top tray with no lids. (Made a great excuse for eating more ice cream Smile )
ReRe

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2013-10-28

http://jazzndazzle.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:14 am

my snaz lids hold up just fine so far Smile for me, it was all my paradise prisma lids that busted up!
the TAG lids and chameleon hold up the best.

I didn't say don't bring your paints-I said don't set them out....I bring mine, but I put them into a plastic container that stays in my bag.

also, try not WIPING your paints..
take a wet wipe and PRESS it into your cake...press press PRESS til you can see the paint THROUGH the sheet.

then, take the sheet to the sink, peel it back, rinse it out with water, and repeat-PRESSING it into the cake....
do it until the cake is refreshed and brand new.

repeat this process on all of your paints.

I just rinse and reuse my wipes so it only takes 1, and I start with my lightest to darkest too.

when you press, you should not get any lint fuzz...
It may also vary depending on the brand.
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 on Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:46 am

i keep my lids off my paints...if Im painting outside and dust it flying I put a towl over the paints not in use.
i wipe my paints when i get home with a clean sponge...
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Coral3 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:01 pm

I generally only see dust in colours I tend not to use as often, so those get rinsed under cold running water if & when they need it. I wipe down any one-strokes that need it with a baby wipe just to remove muddied colour off the tops.
Coral3

Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Flourishing Faces on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi all.
I tend to take the covers off the ones I use the most but I put a sturdy plastic place mat that I got from ikea over them with one of my star blends on top (in case it's windy) to keep dust and nosey fingers away.
I just lift the mat up and use what I need and then put it back.
I also use strong dampened kitchen paper to clean my paints. I use Handy brand here in Oz but it would be like Viva in the US.
Hope that helps.  Very Happy
Flourishing Faces

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2014-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:30 am

Flourishing faces, that's my method too, keeping a clear lightweight piece of acrylic plastic that i "hinge open" with each use of a color. my starblends i keep the lids loosely sitting on. their lid is there to keep out any water spray, but easy enough to remove when i want to use. i have also placed a red adhesive circle on the top of each starblend lid to help "remind" me to keep the lid on because its not water friendly.
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by FacepaintingByTanya on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:19 pm

I converted to a gun case with lids off recently... before that it was laptop cases, lids off.... the girls like to breathe Laughing to wipe off, I have black wedge sponges which I use, light to dark, rising each color and that keeps 'em beautiful and clean Smile at gigs, if I get a little nuts with some blending and make a mess, I do the quick cleanup method with a spritz of water on a half-sheet Bounty paper towel (the Bounty ones don't do the lint droppings). I used to have issues with little linties or dust in the paints with the laptop cases, but with the gun case the paints are inset so there's a wall that protects them all around, with the back protected by the open lid, which eliminates the dust issue. Just my $0.02 Smile
FacepaintingByTanya

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2013-04-17

http://www.facepaintingbytanya.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:36 pm

I wipe after each day of painting. I don't typically have time in between each gig.
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:44 pm

I clean my paints under a trickle stream of water with a paint brush (at my sink). I have issues with glitter being in my paints (i sometimes get a little glitter happy).
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Misha on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:34 pm

I find that to be the easiest way also Lady Jayde. As for keeping them clean, if it gets dusty or I want to keep fingers out, I just flip them over on my towel.
Misha

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top