Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Hard time starting up a website

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hard time starting up a website

Post by Mooncrystal159 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:09 pm

No name, no photos I have permission to use, and no testimonials.

How exactly should I get started, lol?

My 'business partner' (fiance/magician) wants me to build myself a website to start promoting myself as a solo act to try and get more gigs. I'm not too sure I really should be trying to jump into this yet, but he thinks I should. With the limited things I have, how could I possibly do this successfully?
Mooncrystal159

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2013-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Hard time starting up a website

Post by leapinglizards on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:27 pm

Well, buy or borrow a simple digital camera.

Find a small group (charity, church group, preschool, neighbors kids) and offer to do some face painting, for free, in exchange for releases to use the pictures on your web site.

Pick a name you like- go to namesecure, yahoo, godaddy or any other web registrar and register your name... (Make it easy to spell and descriptive and a dot COM)

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veelux on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:46 pm

If you can't find willing victims..ummm... I mean volunteers, paint your own face with some nice designs or paint your finance...he will understand Smile
Good luck
veelux

Number of posts : 1464
Registration date : 2012-02-11

http://www.glitznglowz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:24 am

I always ask before taking a photo, and if the parent says yes, I pretty much own the rights to that photo. I wouldnít use it on anything permanent like business cards or banners but you could use them. I am so NOT computer savvy and was able to do my website on Weebly for free and all by myself. The least you can do is advertise on craigslist. If you canít decide on a business name you like, use Face painting by Crystal (or whatever). I agree with your husband - thereís nothing to it but to do it! Itís kinda like having a baby, youíll never be 100% prepared. Go for it! Itís so worth it!!!
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SmileLines on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:01 pm

I have also spent a long time setting up my website... It is still not where I want it at, but it is enough of a website that I can send people to.

For pictures, I just texted all my friends to come to this great party I was planning. Little did they know I was going to paint their faces! Are there only adults painted on my site, yes... But it's better than having no pictures at all!
SmileLines

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-02-08

http://smilelinesfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by poopitypants on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:58 pm

A nice site to use, if you're not fussy about domains, is wix. It's extremely easy to edit, everything is drag and drop, and it has great features (the fancy photo galleries are perfect for this kind of site). The downside is, if you want an advertisement-free domain it's more expensive than godaddy, so this would be if you don't mind "facepaintingbyrandomperson.wix.com" as your domain.

Seriously though, go play with it, it's fun!

poopitypants

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Creabella on Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:33 am

Well, here it is the other way around...
My husband wants to help me with a website.
So I do have a domain registered already but, the content of the site itself is still blank...
My husband offered to look for a module with that I can easily build the website, but that is the case now... I am still waiting for him to help me on my way with that...... and I have been asking him already a couple of times to move on... because I want to have the site done and ready!!!!

Men! pffff! Sometimes!!!!
Creabella

Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2012-11-02

https://www.creabellafaceart.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by megan2478 on Fri May 09, 2014 9:39 am

Mooncrystal159 wrote:No name, no photos I have permission to use, and no testimonials.

How exactly should I get started, lol?

My 'business partner' (fiance/magician) wants me to build myself a website to start promoting myself as a solo act to try and get more gigs. I'm not too sure I really should be trying to jump into this yet, but he thinks I should. With the limited things I have, how could I possibly do this successfully?

I have a fiance/magician "business partner" too, and we actually ran into this when first starting his website (I'm the business 'tech monkey' Razz)...we did as others suggested. He offered a couple free gigs for his local community center (for Halloween and Christmas) and we used quotes and pics from there.

I actually am starting to delve into face painting to help expand the business, and I plan on using people I know...family, friends, etc...you can also (if you feel comfortable doing it) check with the parents of kids in your neighborhood to see if they would let you do a free face painting for them with the condition that you can take a pic and/or get a quote. Also, with summer coming up, you can check around to see if there are any local block parties where you can volunteer your services.

Also, I agree with poopitypants...WIX.COM is a very easy website builder, and it's free to start (with the 'yourname.wix.com' site)...you can always migrate to a personalized domain later once you start taking off, but at least it will help get you off the ground.

Good luck! †Very Happy

megan2478

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold on Fri May 09, 2014 3:41 pm

You can always try wix.com and then switch over to the paid plan if you like it. It's really easy to use.
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MissHeidi on Tue May 13, 2014 11:11 am

All of these suggestions are great. Just wanted to add that I've used GoDaddy & Wix site builder & Wix was by far easier. I did pay the extra to keep my web address, but I'm very happy with my site now and with how easily I can edit it!
MissHeidi

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2012-07-30

http://www.colormewildfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top