Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Greetings from FL

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Greetings from FL

Post by DashClown on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:27 am

Hi everyone! My (clown) name is Dash and I'm a happy go lucky clown with Egypt Shriners here in Tampa FL. I'm a fairly new clown and so far my only bag of tricks is being silly and smiling at the children. I recently went to a clown convention (NCI in Plymouth MA) and picked up some face painting stuff because it's truly something I've wanted to learn how to do for a very long time. Plus it seems like a nice little way to have something to offer besides just being in makeup and acting silly.

I truly believe there's no finer art in the world than the smile of a child and if I can do something which makes them happy and brings out a smile, what more rewarding thing can there be?

All of that said, my face painting skills are funnier than I am. You'd think I was intentionally making unrecognizable shapes on a face. Being that my grandfather is a somewhat famous artist you'd think I should have some artistic genes somewhere in my blood. At least a cell or two. Maybe a tiny strand of artistic DNA. But my lines are wiggly, my teardrops make me cry, my paint is either too dry on the face too fast, or too wet and sloppy. I create little swimming pools on my tins of paint trying to activate them or end up with little pools of running paint on the test canvases I call my children. They're real troopers and are getting good at lying about how great of a job I did making a fire-breathing dragon which I know looks more like a frog run over by a semi-truck with its insides going across their faces. (Yeah, it's pretty bad..)

So here I am, scouring the Internet watching YouTube videos taunt me by making it look so easy and fast. I'm hoping to find some direction on what basics I should have and/or what I should try working on first. In all seriousness I understand it takes time to get good at anything and I'm ok with that. But what I do not want to do is start with bad habits.

Here are some questions I have which I'm sure have been asked a bajillion times.

* I picked up the Paradise/Mehron 12 color (big tin) pack/box thingie. I've read here on the forums that I'll eventually want to pick up a DFX/Wolfe black/white but at the moment I'm just practicing at home so that can wait. I'm naughty word-u-me'ing these will be fine for me to at least start with before jumping into split cakes, neons, metallics, etc. I believe I need to learn the techniques first and then worry about the special effects. I'm not looking to hire myself out for jobs next week. When I do my first clown event and volunteer to help with face painting I'd rather everyone say to themselves, "Wow I didn't know you could do that!" instead of "Great job, but hey can you go over there and play with the whoopie cushion?"

* I also have a few brushes but already feel like I should have 200 more.
Paradise AQ 816, AQ 815, AQ 814.
Royal & Langnickel MSGE585-20/0, MSGE250-5, MSGE150-8, MSGE170-8, MSGE950-3/4

That's pretty much it. Based on posts I've read here I think I'm going to pick up some Fantasy Worldwide sponges soon and slice them in half. I'm really tempted to pick up a split cake or two as well since every video I watch seems to start with those as a base versus manually painting each color and trying to blend them. Since I'm normally extremely OCD I have to consciously try to limit myself from buying more than I could ever need. One of these days I'll simply buy stuff as I find I need it instead of all at once based on what I see other people using. Really. I promise. If you saw my selection of clown makeup you probably wouldn't believe me..

So here I am! Verbose, OCD and eager. Looking for any recommendations on good absolute beginner books, videos or supplies I should have to make starting easier.

Thanks in advance! Neener neener neener!
DashClown

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2014-01-21

http://www.facebook.com/dashshrineclown

Back to top Go down

Re: Greetings from FL

Post by ReRe on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:07 pm

Welcome! Sounds like you have a great personality. Just keep practicing. We all started somewhere. Stay on top of the Youtube videos and try FABATv. Lots of great people on the forum. I'm sure you will fit right in.
ReRe

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2013-10-28

http://jazzndazzle.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pattyofurniture on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:20 pm

Welcome! Just keep practicing. I'm still not happy with my teardrops either, but they look better than when I first started!
pattyofurniture

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2013-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:21 pm

Welcome to the Forum!
I wish it had been around when I first began face painting.

If I had it to do all over again….
I would have spend less money on paint…
and more time on practicing.

Linework is your "language" of face painting.

Practice.
Practice.
Practice.
Teardrops.. from the thin end to the thick end
from the thick end to the thin end.
Going from left to right.
Then, from right to left.
Practice 100 teardrops or more a day. (That is an investment of 150 or so seconds of your time.
Practice creating lines…
thick to thin to thick to thin.
Swirls, clockwise and counterclockwise.

You have a nice variety of paint and some very good brushes. If you ask 50 painters about their favourite paint, or brush, you will get 1,092 answers.

I try different paints all the time.
My favourite brushes right now are the yellow handled Loew Cornell brushes sizes 3 & 4, from the Face Paint Forum Shop (the colourful rectangle in the upper right hand corner of this column). I also like the 7000C series of Loew Cornell brushes sizes 2, 4, 6 (from the FPFS)

Practice does not make perfect.
Practice makes better.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3328
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by milliedoodles on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:07 pm

Hello neighbor. I'm south of you in Bradenton Fl. Welcome.
milliedoodles

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2013-10-21

http://www.milliedoodles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ReRe on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:15 pm

Well said and great advise from Lisa. I know when I don't practice or paint, my hand is shaky and I'm much slower.
ReRe

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2013-10-28

http://jazzndazzle.com

Back to top Go down

Post by boatload32359 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:51 am

Welcome Dolling Dash! Florida girl here too. You've gotten some really great advice already. I can add 2 things that helped me.
1. A good study guide. My favorite is- http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Face-Painting-Step---Step-ebook/dp/B0044XV64I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1390828603&sr=8-4&keywords=wolfe+brothers+face+paint
2. One-stroke painting. Use the paints you already have to make some split combos for practice, like red/white for flowers or hearts, green/yellow for leaves or dragons. The only basic colors I use are Wolfe black, white, red and Star Blend black and white cakes. When I need just one color I find it in my splits and pull my brush through it from there.  
Donna Dewberry is an amazing one stroke teacher but there are plenty of others. Check them out on youtube.
youtube- http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=one-stroke%20painting%20donna%20dewberry&sm=3
Books- http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Aone+stroke+painting&page=2&keywords=one+stroke+painting&ie=UTF8&qid=1390828858
I have a lot to learn still. My biggest problem is timing, learning to work through longlines fast.
Oh yea...line work, gurrrr and aaargh...I am going to take fesspenter's advice.
boatload32359

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DashClown on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:18 am

Funny you mention that book as I ordered a copy last week and it should be here tomorrow. Smile

Thanks all for the advice. Much appreciated!
DashClown

Back to top Go down

Post by boatload32359 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:53 pm

DashClown wrote:Funny you mention that book as I ordered a copy last week and it should be here tomorrow. Smile

Thanks all for the advice. Much appreciated!
You'll love it! Did you order sponges too? I've seen them at craft stores. You should have one near you in Tampa. They are used heavily in the book. Oh and there are a lot of great tips in the front. Of course I read them last because I went straight to the pictures and started painting. Excited for you.
boatload32359

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DashClown on Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:04 pm

I ordered some fantasy world greens earlier today from this site's store actually. Not sure how long that'll take to receive though.
DashClown

Back to top Go down

Post by gypsy6974 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:07 am

Welcome! I think you have some great advise from the above post. I do love this forum, there is a lot of good advise on just about anything that you wish to know. You are doing the right thing as in read about it before you buy too much or make too many mistakes all on your own. I did that and learned so much the hard & expensive way then I came to the forum.
I wish you the best!
gypsy6974

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum