Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Dressing up in Clown Costume?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dressing up in Clown Costume?

Post by LisaLotek on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:05 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if any Face Painters took the plunge to start dressing up in Clown attire? If so, how has your experience been? Do you charge more since it takes time to put on the costume? Would you rather face paint in costume? 

It's just something I've been thinking about lately and I might offer it. I love you I love you
LisaLotek

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Dressing up in Clown Costume?

Post by DashClown on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:06 pm

In our Shrine clown unit, our main face painter does not clown out when doing face painting at events. His reasoning is because some kids are unfortunately afraid of clowns and even if they really really want to get their face painted, they're too uncomfortable to be able to do so and could then feel left out.

Sounds like a judgement call, but definitely keep it in mind you could be alienating some of the kids by dressing as a clown. This coming from someone who loves dressing as a clown.. Sad
DashClown

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2014-01-21

http://www.facebook.com/dashshrineclown

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:54 pm

My husband does not like me in a clown costume. He prefers a French Maid or a Naughty Nurse.

Wait!
Is this about Face Painting?
Oh...
Don't read the first two sentences of my thread hijacking.

I am going back to my box now.

xxoo
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3330
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:15 pm

Don't just "dress as as clown" you need to BE a clown if you are dressed as one which requires a character to interact with people, not just you in a costume.

I used to clown but stopped because I was a face painter first, clown second and I just was not into spending all the time to work on patter and gags to go along with the character.

And I agree about losing customers due to phobias and the younger kids generally, in my experience, terrified of clowns.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:55 am

It is quite a bit of work to be a clown. Extra time to put on the makeup and costume and extra time afterwards to un-clown. I know that sometimes after a face painting gig, I run errands or have other places to go. When dressed as a clown, this is less possible. Because of these reasons, I would charge more.
Kris5115

Number of posts : 741
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DashClown on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:22 am

Kris5115 wrote:I run errands or have other places to go.  When dressed as a clown, this is less possible.

You say less possible, I say infinitely more entertaining. Smile
DashClown

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2014-01-21

http://www.facebook.com/dashshrineclown

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:25 am

Haha! Might depend on the nature of the errands!
Kris5115

Number of posts : 741
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by LisaLotek on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:16 am

Thank you! And Fesspainter - you're a funny one.
LisaLotek

Back to top Go down

Post by Party Picassos on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:34 pm

Clowning is a separate talent. I am not happy when people put them together. Clowns can do lots of cool stuff: jokes, balloon twisting, face painting, juggling. With it comes the expense. A pair of beautiful clown shoes costs a small fortune.

I got into face painting because I am an artist. I have a degree in art. I am a graphic designer, a muralist and after years as an occasional face painter and jumped into face painting full time. I am blessed.

Face painting is my calling. I enjoy learning more and seeing my talent grow. When people ask if I dress up or if I would; I just say no. I don't want to be a jack of all trades, just a master of one. FACE PAINTING rules!
Party Picassos

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2010-11-18

http://www.partypicassos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MissHeidi on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:26 pm

DashClown wrote:
Kris5115 wrote:I run errands or have other places to go.  When dressed as a clown, this is less possible.

You say less possible, I say infinitely more entertaining. Smile

Hahaha...  I can only imagine!!  Very Happy 
MissHeidi

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2012-07-30

http://www.colormewildfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:29 am

one time long long ago..... I had a clown friend. Him and his wife/partner would dress up and do a juggling show, then he twisted balloons and she face painted. Being a juggler and a face painter he begged me to step in one time when she got sick. Catch is i had to wear her costume and her makeup. So i did.

NEVER AGAIN!!!

It was horrible! One kids was terrified, and the others tried to make her feel better by kicking me in the shins to show i wasn't scary. Being in clown get up, everyone laughed, and it only went down hill from there. The juggling show went fine, but afterward each kid followed suit of the first one who kicked me and before i knew it, kids were touching my stuff, running away with my paints, still kicking me, and not sitting still. It was a nightmare. My friend could handle it WAY better then me for sure, I didn't know how to blend the 'happy clown' and the professional face painter. Most of all when one kid was scared of me. I couldn't be taken seriously as an adult by them and a boundary was broken VERY easily.

I'm not the clowning type. That costume was one of the hardest things i ever had to do at a party, and i swear to god never again. :/
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by LisaLotek on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:42 am

Forest-Fairy, that sounds like an absolute nightmare.
LisaLotek

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:29 pm

LisaLotek wrote:Forest-Fairy, that sounds like an absolute nightmare.

So much so that i still wake up in a cold sweat lol. It was just one gig tho, and i wasn't experienced with having a 'clown-sona'. But afterwards I came to realize where the alcoholic clown stereotype must have come from. :p
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by LisaLotek on Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:00 pm

If a kid kicked me, I would have to take him to his parents, and correct him and his parents. I really don't have a problem correcting kids though or their parents. I don't feel like I'm out of place in that respect.....or else I'd have to go Pennywise on their butts. But, I do understand that some kids fear clowns, just like they fear Santa Claus. I just think some Clowns are so cool.
LisaLotek

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:43 pm

I'd think that taking a kid to the parents would be breaking character, which is a no-no. You'd have to figure out how to maintain authority and still be the clown.
Not something I wish to learn, I'll admit.
Forest-Fairy, your experience definitely firms up in my mind what I already know.
I am not a clown.
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:56 pm

Yeah that was totally it, I didn't want to break character. It was one of the hardest gigs I did and would not do it again.

Closest thing I gave to a clown costume is something like a 'raver' meets 'rainbow bright'. Losts of colorful jewelry, rainbow socks etc but totally not a clown.
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by LisaLotek on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:28 am

I see your point about breaking character, and maintaining authority. I guess there's a fine line there, somewhere.

But then again, I think you can correct them and still be like-able.
LisaLotek

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:50 pm

LisaLotek wrote:I see your point about breaking character, and maintaining authority. I guess there's a fine line there, somewhere.

But then again, I think you can correct them and still be like-able.

Yeah I had a lot of trouble finding out how to do that dressed as a clown. They just didn't take me seriously, now matter what i said. I didn't want to be mean, and it wasn't my client so i felt totally out of control. Not something i would do again.
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top