Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Help me please with my first gig!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help me please with my first gig!

Post by CassandraMcLaren on Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:52 pm

I have been contacted by the owner of a resteraunt to do some face painting on a holiday weekend for them. The gig is in two months so I plan to get in some practice before I attend.

I have yet to reply to the guy yet as he has offered me to chose when I work and obviously asked what I charge.

He has offered either:
x2 three hour slots across 2 days.
or x3 two hour slots across 3 days.

He says he is flexible with the days as he is trying to keep costs down, so basically he wants me to advise him on when to paint, for how long and cost.

I think this is a superb opportunity as my first gig so I don't want the guy to run a mile when I reply. Basically I was hoping to charge 40 per hour for my services. The location is not close to where I live. I have worked as a face painter for a bouncy castle company and have now went freelance. I feel I may be charging too much, so I might offer a discount? However I feel it could be a busy weekend given the holiday.

I think 40 an hour for x2 three hour slots on the Saturday and Sunday of the weekend are reasonable and possibly the best option, as across three days would cost me more in petrol, reflecting on his price?

What would you do?
CassandraMcLaren

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2014-03-06

http://www.rainbowcakestudio.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Help me please with my first gig!

Post by DebbieB on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:28 pm

I would definitely do the weekend with two days @ 3 hours each. Would not make financial sense to do three days @ two hours. I don't know what the going rate is for your area, so only you can decide how much to charge, but I would put out a tip jar to hopefully up your pay somewhat.
DebbieB

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-09-09

http://www.debsdreamydesigns.wix.com/debs

Back to top Go down

Post by CassandraMcLaren on Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:12 pm

Thank you for the quick reply, its quite hard to find what everyone else is charging as most people say, "contact to get a quote". My friend recently hired someone for a Christening and said they charged 35 per hour for a private function. Their work was not bad but not breathtaking either... Not to say I am brilliant, but after PVG clearance, insurance, website fees, petrol and of course cost of materials I thought 35 was quite modest. Do people generally start with a low hourly rate and only go up after time or do you start with a rate and willingly reduce it? I'm not so sure...

Thank you again for your reply Smile
CassandraMcLaren

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2014-03-06

http://www.rainbowcakestudio.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DebbieB on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:38 pm

I struggled with this myself, as I have seen prices fluctuate anywhere from $50-150 an hour and up. Are there other artists in your area? If so, call and ask their price then price yourself accordingly. You don't want to set a lot lower price, because you will undervalue yourself plus the profession in general. You also don't want to go so high that no one will hire you. Only you know what your area will pay. Myself, I am in a small town so I went with $75 an hour when I know that 60 miles south of me in a large city gets $125 an hour, but they won't pay that around here. If I start to see a huge uptick of jobs, I would probably raise my rates a little.
You also need to take into consideration things like your speed and abilities. How many can you do an hour? Fast faces and full faces? I am still new and even though I can do a few designs really fast, some take longer so I would not be comfortable charging someone $125 an hour when I may can only do 6 faces in that time frame. Not saying I can only do 6, but if they all choose something like sugarskulls and the half hulk/half spiderman, then 6-7 would be what I could do.

If I were you, I would charge the rate you suggested and put out a tip jar. If you are familiar with the one strokes and have some, I would learn a bunch of the one stroke designs that only take 2-3 minutes but make a huge impact and go do that gig and knock their socks off by wowing them with some awesome designs but also keeping the line moving.
DebbieB

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-09-09

http://www.debsdreamydesigns.wix.com/debs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum