Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

what should i do

View previous topic View next topic Go down

what should i do

Post by colormetori on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:50 am

hello all! im new to face painting and I have a question. it hasn't happened to me yet but it is a fear of mine lol. what if a client asks for something I don't know how to do ? what is a nice professional answer to tell them? and do you guys suggest I put out a menu board?

colormetori

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-03-03

Back to top Go down

Re: what should i do

Post by thouartbeautiful on Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:39 pm

It's okay to stick to designs you are comfortable with. A menu board wil help with this, then you can politely say, "I'm only doing these designs today, but here's my card I do special requests for..." Or you can do what I've heard from other painters and make special requests the most expensive to perform.  When I try something I haven't practiced the odds of it being a good design is 50/50, which I would hate a total fail to be walking around advertising my work if I can help it.
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tone on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:21 am

Just be honest, if they ask you for something you've never pained before. I usually offer to try, but explain to them that I haven't fully developed that design yet. Most kids just ask for something else instead.

A menu board is great to have if you want to be in controll of what they ask for. And it also prevents some people suggesting things that probably seems like a good idea to them, but that you know won't look very good.
Tone

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:04 pm

Some of my "best" and "cutest" designs have come out of a request for something I've never painted before.

I tell them if they can provide a picture of it I will give it a shot - if it is something I don't know.

I also carry reference material which I pretty much never use - sticker catalogues that have all the licensed characters (for getting Superman's S right!), etc. A sheet of soccer balls - they are a bugger to do, stuff like that.

IMO NEVER tell them it won't be very good!! That plants the seed of discontent! Just say "I'll give it a try!"

Back to top Go down

Post by transformpaint on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:26 pm

What Shannon and Tone say is right. Just try to relax and be honest. If you think you may never fix to paint what they ask for then tell them that you still practice and can't do that design. Maybe you can offer another design or ask if it's ok to change their design a bit. That works for me.
transformpaint

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2014-02-28

http://transformpaint.webnode.se/

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:32 pm

I always paint by request, and usually it's something I've never done.
I'm naturally artistic-I have a great eye for angles and proportions so I can copy any picture in a reasonable amount of time.

every once in awhile, the picture will require a technique I have not learned yet, so I will say "sorry, I actually haven't learned how to do this one yet, but maybe I can come up with something equally awesome."

they have been happy with that so far, and it usually comes out really nice.

when it comes out bad, I just wipe it off and give them something I rock at.i've only ever had to do that twice.
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Party Picassos on Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:11 pm

If someone has a smart phone and can google an image, I am game. But there have been times, when the line is very long, that I let them know, that because of time constraints, we have to stick to the sample board. If their request is a simple design - no problem, but there have been times when I said, "yes," and the image was very detailed and I spent too much time on one child's face. If the request is from the birthday child, my answer is always YES!
Party Picassos

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2010-11-18

http://www.partypicassos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum