Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Introductions: Devon Reid

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Introductions: Devon Reid

Post by chelicerate on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:27 am

Good day,
I am an American living in Stockholm.  I am a sculptor and painter ~ and recently got a few gigs painting faces.  It has been a good thing for supplementing income here, and turned out to be a lot of fun.  The biggest challenge for me (so far) is to "crank em out". Meaning sacrificing detail and aesthetics for speed.  I'm looking for a resource on fast easy designs that make the kidlets happy.  I have some jobs coming up and can't be making a Sistine chapel on everybody. Any advice is much appreciated
Devon
chelicerate

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-03-12

http://www.facebook.com/chelicerateart

Back to top Go down

Re: Introductions: Devon Reid

Post by fesspenter on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:46 am

Dear chelicerate:
Welcome to the Forum!
When it comes to speed...
the key word is
PRACTICE!
Painting something small on a cheek is not always the speediest art.  
It is better to be good at face painting and get quicker, surer lines,
than to be fast, and craptastic.
With your background in painting and sculpting, I have a feeling that you are fantastic at face painting.   I was originally a brush painter.  Once I picked up sponges, and began to paint and shape the architecture of my face painting in large, bold marks, I could quickly get back into my comfort zone with my brushes to pull the artwork all together.  
I can create a whole tiger face in about 2/3 of the time it takes to paint a tiny tiger on a child's cheek.  
Practice your line work...
Teardrops, thick to thin, and then thin to thick, from right to left, and left to right.  
Lines from thick to thin to thick to thin.
Swirls and scrolls.  
Dots.
These are your "language" of face painting.  
I began face painting first on my own children, then volunteering at Toronto's SickKids Hospital.  It is easy to "wow" someone when you have 10-45 minutes a face going from room to room at the hospital. (Trained by Infectious Disease Control regarding face painting in a hospital setting).   In the real world, not very many children will sit that long waiting to be painted.  
I got faster by practicing.
It took me about six years of painting butterflies before I began to embrace them (Yes, I am a slow learner).  Once I had a basic butterfly standard that I loved...
I timed myself.
Six and a half minutes.
Ouch!
I did it again.
I got faster.
I did it again.
I got faster.

Having said all that...
There is an amazing painter named Denise Cold who has examples of her work that is under two minutes per face.  The search engine on this Forum is very... specific.  You are better off going to your own search engine and typing in
facepaintforum.com denise cold fast faces
We all willingly share our tips and tricks. Practice different styles and artists.  Take pictures of your work and use it for display.  My guideline is to never post pictures of other artists' work on your display boards.  If you CAN paint a Mark Reid tiger face...then paint it and document it.  Don't just post his tiger face and say you can paint it from the photo, even if you can replicate it perfectly.  
Practice.
Practice.
Practice.
There are step by step examples on the Forum here.
There are great YouTube videos by Lisa Joy Young, Marcella Murad (Mama Clown), Shawna D, and,  Denise Cold, just to name a few.
There is a place to post and share your work with a kind, warm, non-judgemental audience in Show and Tell. There is a game of Face Paint Tag going on in Tag You Are It!  Come join us!

Happy Painting.
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3324
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by chelicerate on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:25 am

woah, what I great response, glad I asked.  I will most definitely look into these videos/names.  Yes, practice practice.  The best I can do for now is 10 minutes.  That's about how long it takes, unless I'm doing spiderman.  I'm ok with a liner brush, getting used to the 3d surface making the swirls and dots.. getting better gradually.  Trying to get the little ones to hold still is a challenge ~ oh boy these kids are squirmy and hard to wrangle (especially in an assortment of languages).  
I did try to post some pictures, but I got a notice saying the gallery is full.  I'll try again a little later.
Question: for colors, as an experienced facepainter do you have anything to suggest for chemical-free hypoallergenic colors?  I know somebody who is just using watercolors, is it the same thing?  I have just been using the hobby shop facepaints.  I can look up the name and see if there are vendors here.  I actually thought this was a stockholm forum, but it looks international.  
craptastic.. I see a lot of craptastic facepainting jobs out there.  If you have a sad kid then it's totally pointless.  
Sure I'm up for a game, if I can find a willing face.  
D
chelicerate

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:45 am

Dear chelicerate:
I am allergic to
Make up
Perfume
and
some face paints.
I try everything out on myself before I ever put it into my kit.
Water colour paints are NOT for use on skin. They are made for paper/wood/prepared ground surfaces. Cadmium Red contains...CADMIUM! Watercolours are pure pigment bound with gum arabica. Cadmium can cause damage to liver and kidneys years down the road. Children absorb chemicals faster than adults as their blood/brain barrier is not as developed as adults. My event insurance would never cover me if I used watercolours or acrylic paints on a client.
Try different kinds of face paints. Snazaroo is probably available in your area. It washes off beautifully and is good for base work. I used to use only Wolfe white and black for my line work, and now, I am liking Cameleon for my white and black line work.
Pan face paints are generally divided into two different groups: wax based, and glycerin based. Wax: Wolfe, TAG, Diamond F/X, Cameleon. Glycerin: FAB, Paradise.
You may have other, very good brands in Europe that I have never tried: PartyXPlosion, SuperStar, Grimas. Try different brands of FDA compliant professional face paint. See which brands work for you. You have posted your location in your Profile, so it will be easier for painters in your local area to find you and invite you to their jams.
As for when my children came home from local Fun Fairs with "craptastic" cheek art...I would look my child in the eye and tell them they looked BEAUTIFUL! The art of face painting is NOT just a function of how well you paint...it is the art of making each child feel special in that chair. My children felt special being painted upon, and they loved their Fun Fair art. Who am I to tell them any different.
Of course, I TORTURED my children with face painting as they grew up.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by chelicerate on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:24 am

woah thanks again for the well informed advice.  Yes, I know the dangers of heavy metals, I was not aware they were used in watercolors.  Took a while for manufacturers to stop putting lead in paint, still there are others.  They do have the sazaroo here, I'll probably pick up some of that.  I bought some of these wax color pencils that work nicely ~ brandname: Jovi.  It has a lot of unpronounceable things in it though, but no metals that I can tell.  It does say: may contain (and then) sequences of letters and numbers.  ex. CI 12085.  It's made in Spain.  I looked it up and says Red 36, which sounds ominous but I don't know what it means.  Looking at the FDA site now..
chelicerate

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:01 pm

If in doubt, contact the manufacturer and ask if those sticks are safe for use on children's faces, close to the mucous membranes. If the manufacturer recommends a barrier cream to be used before applying the Jovi to skin...I would not use them.
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top