Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Face painter since January.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Face painter since January.

Post by Mama Kraken on Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:47 pm

Glad to find you here! I have sure had some frustrating learning experiences so far, and more importantly, some fantastic jobs and great people.

One question: How many kids per hour?? I ask because my most recent frustration was caused by a this. I read that the "industry standard"'was 10-12 kids per hour. Makes sense to me, and I've booked all my face painting jobs at this rate. 25 kids: 2 hours.

But. I offered a great rate to an indoor playground, and they booked me at jobs for 1 hour 25 kids, which really annoyed me because I don't do (at this point) that kind of "quick stroke" work. I do more elaborate stuff, I'm sure you get the picture.

When I asked for more time, (I give a great hourly rate in the hope of getting 2- $60 at this place) she was really snide and suggested I just don't understand thAt everyone does 25 kids per hour. I have done about 100 parties, and I have never heard that, not even at my other playgrounds.

Advice???

Mama Kraken

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-04-17

http://www.fatkraken.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Face painter since January.

Post by Mellygee911 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:51 pm

I feel like this is the reason that many painters have a 2 hour minimum. I can certianly understand that you want to put your best work into every job you do... I don't think anyone likes the feeling of showing a kid the mirror when you know you might have done better if given more time.

If you've been painting since January and have done 100 parties, it seems to me that you're insanely busy. If you've got enough work and aren't comfortable with the speed they're demanding of you, take a pass!
Mellygee911

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2014-02-12

http://Www.busybeesparties.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:01 pm

Zesty wrote:One question: How many kids per hour?? I ask because my most recent frustration †was caused by a this. I read that the "industry standard"'was 10-12 kids per hour. Makes sense to me, and I've booked all my face painting jobs at this rate. 25 kids: 2 hours.

Correct a proficient face painter does about 10-12 per hour.

Zesty wrote:But. I offered a great rate to an indoor playground, and they booked me at jobs for 1 hour 25 kids, which really annoyed me because I don't do (at this point) that kind of "quick stroke" work. I do more elaborate stuff, I'm sure you get the picture.

Lol even after 14 years and doing 'quick stroke' designs, i wouldn't be able to paint 25 kids in an hour unless they all got a one stroke rainbow. :/ Which makes me ask "why would you be paying me my full rate for 'this'?"
The one stroke stuff just allows you to to put more colors on at once, it's still just as elaborate i think, but the double, triple etc loaded brush certainly is a nice cheat to get many colors on fast. Also the broader strokes make is easier and faster when painting what is sometimes a moving target. :p

Zesty wrote:When I asked for more time, (I give a great hourly rate in the hope of getting 2- $60 at this place) she was really snide and suggested I just don't understand thAt everyone does 25 kids per hour. I have done about 100 parties, and I have never heard that, not even at my other playgrounds.

Advice???

Everyone does 25 an hour eh? LOL
This lady is either
A. Full of it, and trying to get you to over work yourself for her bennifit

B. Is thinking of other "face painters" who paint 'shapes' like a heart, star, or stick figure. Those are the only "face painters" i know who can paint that many per hour IF that because they are STILL slower.

C. Is a moron, doesn't know what she's talking about and can't do simple math.
Nope you are right the standard is about 10-12 per hour. At my best I can some times do 15/hr but that is the absolute max. Think about it; there are 60min in an hour, at 5 min a kid that's only 12 kids an hour, 3min a kid would be 20 kids an hour, BUT remember that not every minute is spent painting. Kids getting in an out of the chair, asking what design they want, pinning back hair, cleaning cake off the face, showing them in the mirror etc. It all takes time, a minute here and there adds up quickly.

Perhaps explain to her that the art doesn't flow out of your finger tips magically? lol

More then likely she is just ignorant. Next time you see her, break down the math
60min divided by 25 kids would be 2min and 40sec per kid. NOT including pinning back hair, cleaning face, changing water, and they would have to magically teleport in and out of the chair.

In all honesty I'm sorry but some people can't be 'told' anything. They refuse the idea they they are some how wrong or that they don't really know what they are talking about. You can try to talk to her, but you must accept and prepare for the possibility that she is one of these people. IMO she's not worth the aggravation for $60. Spell it out to her, if she doesn't see reason, take your talent else where and don't feel bad about it.

Also a fun thing a lot of face painters do is charge more of the first hour, and less for each hour booked after that. I don't leave the house for less then $100. My old prices were $100 for 1 hour or $150 for 2hrs. THAT'S real incentive to book two hours. Everyone loves what they see as a deal. Very Happy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus on Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:54 am

she must be referring to people that do VERY simple cheek art - you may want to show her the type of stuff you do and if she canít respect your work, walk away from this venue. It may benefit you to just make up a quick cheek-art menu board for these bookings if you really want to continue working for them.
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top