Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Working a fair and need some guidance

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Working a fair and need some guidance

Post by Staley on Thu May 08, 2014 11:53 pm

We are working a booth at our county fair and it will all be out of pocket. †Our county fair is small and we will only be working one evening for the Friday Fun Night. †There is no budget left and they need more for the kids to do so this is where we come in. †I don't expect us to be swamped but I want to be prepared - and not spend too much in the process as this is not the only part of the fair that we are volunteering for and spending out of pocket. †

I thought about Snazaroo for the $ savings but it is likely to be very hot and I have read it does not hold up in the heat.

Do you like Paradise? †How does it hold up in the heat?

Approximately how many faces could be done with one of the 8 color kits if we avoid full faces and stick with mask type and cheek designs?

What do you think of their metallic?

I will also have a Paradise Prisma Blend in Flash.
And we have a little bit of Tulip from the stuff we bought to practice with [when my DD and I practice the younger kids want to join in so it is good to have something that is not hard to replace Smile]

I have considered ordering a black in the Dips for lines but I wonder how far that will go and if it will be worth it for a free event.

Because of the possibility of excessive heat and sweating we are also planning to have supplies for glitter tattoos if we can perfect a few freehand designs - don't want to buy a bunch of stencils for a free event. †

Thoughts...

Staley

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2014-05-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Working a fair and need some guidance

Post by eviedejesus on Fri May 09, 2014 12:31 am

From what Iíve heard the tulip stains pretty bad. Since itís out of pocket - I would buy the basic Paradise palette and call it a day. It should be enough for one evening and includes black and white. I woud not invest in Dips or glitter tattoos. Make sure you put out a tip jar also.
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Staley on Fri May 09, 2014 1:06 am

Thank you for the advice. I am probably overly concerned about being prepared. I hate for anything else to go wrong with the fair. It is kind of falling apart.

We haven't had any staining with the tulip paint but maybe it is the colors we are using. Mostly the neon set. They have been on overnight with no trouble washing off the next day. Maybe we just don't stain easy though - and our other practice subjects have been dark skinned so it may not have shown.

Staley

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus on Fri May 09, 2014 1:13 am

I have not heard much about the neons. I know their silver is great though. To my knowledge Neon colors have not been approved by the FDA for use on the face.
eviedejesus

Back to top Go down

Post by Staley on Sun May 11, 2014 4:46 pm

Interesting...

Staley

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Wed May 14, 2014 5:21 pm

1. Well if this is something you want to keep doing then go for a larger kit like a paradise or something. Or better yet, drop the cash on larger start up kit like a TAG starter kit, that has almost everything you need.
http://www.tagbodyart.com/shoppingcart/products/TAG-Face-Paint-Starter-Kit.html

I also go over all the little things you'll need in this thread
http://www.facepaintforum.com/t16069-the-kit-essentials#227728

If this is a one off gig then don't spend too much. If this is something you want to do again, then trust me that a $200 starter kit will pay for itself in a single gig or 2.

2. Paradise is fine. The colors usually aren't as bright as other brands, but meh. All paints don't like being out in the sun. Most will get soft or melt due to a wax base. Some are more resistant then others for sure, but this should be a minor thing to look for because you SHOULD have shade when you are working. Not just for yourself and your equipment, but for the kids waiting in line! I have seen kids at other fairs get sun stroke waiting in a long line for a face painter who didn't have shade.

3. I wouldn't waste my money on the paradise 8 color kit, the cakes are only 0.25 oz. They are more of a sampler color pallet if you ask me. Sure one kit would get you though a gig, but the kit would be raped. See when you are first starting out, you tend to use WAY more paint then when you are experienced. It doesn't matter if you are doing small stuff of big stuff, you are still filling your brush with paint and washing it out for each color. Also smaller designs are NOT faster usually as they are more detailed. Larger designs have larger broader strokes and you can get away with more mistakes and still have something that looks good over all.
Get something with more paint.

4. Tried paradise metallic, it sucked the big one. Other brands are WAY better. Again I wouldn't waste my money on mehron metallics.

5. Tulip can stain more then other brands I've found. (neons are not known to stain in any brand that i know of) †But some painters swear by it. Don't let kids use your tools. Please. Things need to be kept clean first and foremost, and also you don't want to spend money replacing damaged and miss-used supplies. Finally it sets a bad precedent for other face painters, if they kids think it's ok with one painter, they tend to think it's ok with all of them.

6. Dips are high end, they are expensive and VERY different from the pressed cakes you are used to working with. There is a learning curve involved. Not worth it for a free event IMO. Save the money and get a bigger kit.

7. Heat and sweat will happen, most paints are performance grade and even on REALLY hot days I haven't seen my designs melt on the faces i put them on. They are made to stand up to stuff like this. Obviously not as good as dips or other water proof paints but not worth the investment at this time when what i have works great already.

8. Glitter tats too?! Jesus.. Honestly I think you are biting off more then you can crew on this. Most painters either do one or the other, and if they are doing both, they have one person in charge of just that. Trust me you don't want to be switching back and forth between the two! Also glitter tats are expensive, not just the stencils but the glitter, glues, special brushes etc. My advice is the skip that and use that extra money to get better paints for your first gig. Keep it simple.

9. Finally, put a big old tip jar on your table to help make back some of the start up cost.
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Staley on Wed May 14, 2014 7:21 pm

Thank you for the advice.

Unfortunately I tend to be rather impulsive and ordered the basic paradise kit and we have opened it and tried some out. Oh well, I guess I will know after this fair if it is something we want to persue further (am am thinking we will). I did not realize the cakes were so small.

I have a tent but will try to figure out a location that will provide more shade for the children. I don't want kids messing with my supplies anyhow so that should not be an issue - Other than older kids working the fair who I will likely have to keep oit of it so it does not get wasted.

I'll skip the glitter tattoos. I tend to jump headfirst into things without thinking them through fully.

Staley

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Wed May 14, 2014 7:37 pm

Wall at least you know we weren't sh!ttin' ya lol.

Yeah those kits are pretty small, worst of all on most sites they don't even state the size of them. I just happen to know it .25 oz because that's the size of most makeup artist pallets.

Seriously if you still have time buy another case, you might make it through the day with that but I wouldn't risk it.

If you still have time i HIGHLY recomend this starter kit.

http://www.tagbodyart.com/shoppingcart/products/TAG-Face-Paint-Starter-Kit.html

GREAT price too. Has everything you need but a mirror, water container and some sanitizer. Even when you include the shipping this is still a great deal. You've seen I know what I'm talking about so far. Trust me on this and you won't be disappointed. Smile
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus on Wed May 14, 2014 9:10 pm

Personally I think the Paradise kit will get you through the day and you can decide if you really like Paradise or not. I have two Paradise kits (basic & pastels) in my mini-kit that I keep in my car. I also love the silver from their Brilliants line (metallic). Even if you buy a different brand that you like better in the future, those mini kits are great because you can just refill the pans with whatever paint you want, it has the brush and mirror - wallah, there is your emerency back-up kit.
eviedejesus

Back to top Go down

Post by Staley on Thu May 15, 2014 3:03 pm

I hope what I have will be fine for now. Money is an issue so it's a good start. We have the basic paradise kit, a paradise cake (flash), a tag cake (pearl rainbow), and some tulip left from practicing. I can use the black and white from that as for lining if my daughter helps me that day. So we aren't waiting for each other. I packed it into a little pill box with 4 spaces to make it easy to hold both colors while lining. I already want to buy more but am trying to keep myself in check. It is not an easy task. Hopefully my tag rainbow will give me a good sense of the brand. That TAG kit looks great. Thank you both for all of your help.

Staley

Back to top Go down

Post by Staley on Thu May 15, 2014 3:29 pm

Regarding the tip jar...
The patrons buy tickets to do the activities - like at a carnival but I don't get any of the proceeds. They go to the local 4-H group and the county 4-H council. I feel a little funny putting out a jar knowing that tney are buying tickets. Maybe I can get the 4-H to give me a portion of whatever they get for the tickets that our table brings in???

Staley

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Thu May 15, 2014 3:36 pm

That's always an option too. I would still do the tip jar because
~ other wise you aren't getting anything it's all out of pocket for you
~ Tips are optional, yes they paid for tickets but a tip is a gratuity on top if they like YOUR service.
~ If you are worried about mixing with the idea of donations, have your tip sign say 'Tips for the Artists'

Another odd thing i want to point out is every time at an event where my tip jar has a sign collecting for charity, the jar ALWAYS makes less then it would if it said the tips were for me. Humans are strange.
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Staley on Thu May 15, 2014 6:20 pm

That is strange. Totally the opposite of what I would expect.

On the note of trying to keep myself in check...my husband is not helping. I had a sales tax dispute with my photography business - my fault for not getting things done on time. Just got a letter today that said the state accepted my payment (which was about $450 less than what they had billed me). My wonderful husband says "looks like you just made $450. You can buy more paint." What a sweetie he is. I am still going to hold off a bit but it's nice to know he does not mind.

Staley

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Thu May 15, 2014 7:13 pm

Yeah i was surprised at first too about the charity thing, but then I thought about it from a psychology standpoint and it makes perfect sense. Here are some reasons behind this.
~A charity is often 'faceless'. They are a name or entity, but not a person you can meet. The face painter is a friendly smiling person right in front of you, so they are more likely to give more to someone they can see.
~It makes people feel good to give, but even better when they think some one is acknowledging them giving. (people like credit, and they like feelings or celebrity - even tiny ones). The charity isn't there to smile and say thank you, but the face painter is! This is an extra intensive to give.
~Charities are usuallly large groups with large goals. As individuals people don't feel their contribution makes much of a difference to a large project or goal. But one individual giving to another feels more equal and a level playing field. Giving a charity $5 doesn't feel like much so people actually give LESS hoping others will make up for them. But giving another individual $5 feels more like a real contribution to that persons life and it feels generous, so they are more likely to give that $5.
~People like to know WHO their money is going to. Is it going to some stranger to be counted and added later? Or the nice artist right in front of you?

These effects can also be seen in restaurants where waitress's keep their tips, VS others where the waitress's share their tips with the kitchen after hours VS restaurants where they have a tip jar at the counter. The cook is faceless even though he does most of the work, it's the waitress who you SEE and interact with. People tip more knowing that full tip is going to the waitress they SAW working to serve them, and less if they think it's going to be shared with all the staff who either didn't serve them personally or they never saw. This also accounts for why charities with spokes people do better then charities with out, and why crowd sourcing online for individuals works better and faster then larger projects.

Interesting human psychology eh?
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top