Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Airbrush face paint? Tattoos?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Airbrush face paint? Tattoos?

Post by butteiful on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:47 pm

I'm a cheer coach and I was asked if I could do some face painting for a huge event. The money would go to fundraising costs for my girls. In the past the girls did regular face painting, but I was thinking that getting an airbrush set up would be neat as there hasn't been anything like it before.

That and we could do a booth at the football games which would be a big hit I think.

The problem is that I have NO idea what I should look for when purchasing anything. I know there is a difference between tattoos and face painting, but what should I look for when purchasing? I can spend a bit of money (like 1k) to get started.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated!

butteiful

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-06-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Airbrush face paint? Tattoos?

Post by Sweet Loretta on Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:06 pm

You can track me down and email me direct. I can give you some handouts on purchasing equipment. But I will confess I may not reply until after the weekend - It is Grad Night weekend here and we are working every night 10 until 4am!

Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Staley on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:31 am

I would be interested in hearing more about airbrush set ups also. My husband actually asked because we have an airbrush kit and compressor that he uses for other things. He thought you would need multiple sets including compressors but I thought you would be fine with one compressor and multiple airbrushes for quickly changing color.

Staley

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2014-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by butteiful on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:35 pm

Thanks Sweet Loretta! What is the best way to contact you?

butteiful

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:02 am

Staley wrote:I would be interested in hearing more about airbrush set ups also.  My husband actually asked because we have an airbrush kit and compressor that he uses for other things.  He thought you would need multiple sets including compressors but I thought you would be fine with one compressor and multiple airbrushes for quickly changing color.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIytmxEa4VU
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Staley on Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:38 pm

Awesome! Thanks Evie.

Staley

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2014-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Colorful Faces on Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:37 am

how much did you charge for air brush tattoo?
It do not has to be exact, I just looking for a estimation since I know that price change base area.

Thank you so much. Smile
Liz Colorful Faces

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2013-11-17

http://www.Colorfulfaces.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:10 pm

Hello!

So airbrush tats, where to begin.....

First of all, I'll be blunt is saying that while it's not impossible, you might be biting off more then you can chew at the moment. A full airbrush set up for tats is not an easy undertaking and by NO MEANS a cheap one. Most first setups range in the $1000+ range. A friend i knew when all out and his first set up was about $5000. Which is usually why airbrush booths are more for the serious business person and not really a casual entertainment.

So with that said here's the crash course of what you need to know.

First of all you might look at and airbrush and think "wow! that looks stupid easy! I can do that!" And you would be wrong and right. Airbrush is not a simple point and spray operation, there can be a lot of technical bits to it even when you are just working with stencils and not making the designs free hand yourself.

An airbrush is a complicated tool with many internal parts that you have to know how to work and put together. In makeup school we spent an entire day training like the military dissembling our airbrushes and putting them back together. Many things can go wrong when you airbrush, clogs, bent needles, pressure not right, and lots of other fun stuff that will make your airbrush, spatter, sputter, and stop dead. On the fly you have to know how to identify what the issue is and how to fix it. Bent needle = busted, and will need a replacement needle. Note: Take care of the needle!!!

There are a few different kind of airbrushes but I'll stick to explaining the main ones.

First an airbrush can be gravity fed or siphon fed. Gravity means there is a holding cup on the top that the brush draws it's paint from. Siphon is from a bottom cup or jar with a hose. Generally I prefer the siphon fed because it's easier to change colors.

Next there is  internal and external feed brushes. Which simple means where your air and paint will meet each other (either on the inside or outside).

Internal give more control over the flow of the paint, giving you control over putting a little or a lot of paint on the skin, but this type is harder to clean. External has less control and usually gives a single stream of paint, but is much easier to clean the brush.

Finally there is single and dual action. Single action is press and spray. Dual action is press and pull to control the flow of paint.

So next is the compressor. Besides a power outlet, there are many things you need to do to keep your compressor is working order. You need to make sure that your PSI is set to no more then 30 for skin use, and never more then 15 PSI for the face. You also have to be aware of your compressors moisture trap and make sure that it's emptied regularly as you work.

Next is paint!

Water base paint it's easy and fun to use, but washes off with soap and water. For this you would use water as your thinner.

Most airbrush tats are done using an alcohol based makeup, this is what makes them last for a few days. If you are using this type of paint, it's recommended that you don't use it on the face, as the paint can and will dry out the skin and be next to impossible to wash off. You'll also be using 75 - 99 % iso as your thinner (which is an entirely different matter).

Also airbrush paint is CRAZY expensive.

Complicated enough yet? lol

Ok so unless you can master free hand airbrush is a very short time you'll probably want to invest is some stencils. Professional ones are not cheap but are certainly the best. Really you can use anything for a stencil, even lace or make your own. But there is a technique to stenciling. You have to hold them flat to the skin or else the paint will get up under the stencil and then your art is ruined. SO many things can go wrong, from putting too much paint on to not enough. Then if you want it to be more then one color you have to be up to date on your color theory so you can easily mix colors from one to the other. OR have several different brushes to switch back and forth from.

That's all i can think of right now. Hope I didn't scare you lol. I just don't want you to take it lightly as a simple "oh I can do that" because SO many people just don't 'get it' that there is more to certain art mediums then meet the eye.

I mainly do airbrush for movies and special FX, and even though I have the best compressor there is, and some of the best brushes, I haven't built up a large enough collection of stencils yet where i feel i could offer enough variety of choices. Also the paints are REALLY expensive. The start up costs are so high, I haven't really done it myself.

Anyway, hope this doesn't overwhelm you, I know it can be a lot to take in, but I like to be as thorough as possible.
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:51 am

I have to debunk the notion that airbrush makeup is somehow more expensive than moist cake makeup.  When you compare how much you get from each - the makeups are pretty close in cost.  Same for an overall airbrush setup. While one does spend more up front to get into airbrush face and  body art, looking at painters setups with there many split cakes, varied brushes (and take into account how many brushes they bought and did not like) set-ups too can compare dollar to dollar pretty equally.

As with any new venture indeed it is not simply easy. Each, airbrush and classic brush face and body painting, take time to learn and hone skills and each take a decent financial investment. And each requires one to do some homework on the subject.

The reason I recommend (airbrush) classes is so that myths can be debunked (like it takes longer to set up and strike than classic brush) and so that students can avoid pitfalls (like unneeded expenses, and understanding ones needs).
Sweet Loretta

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:05 am

Sweet Loretta, may I ask who you use for insurance? I was looking at the list Lilly put together and a lot of the usual FP insurers won't insure air brush for face painting.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:38 pm

Well it's certainly more expensive in Canada. See to get anything good you usually have to get it shipped from the United States, and by the off chance you actually find a store or website that sells in Canada the items are always marked up so the price is more or less the same.

But the biggest cost/draw back to an airbrush set up is the need for power. Something you don't need with face painting unless you need light. However with an airbrush setup you need a power supply no mater if you are working in daylight or night time hours. 

While a paint brush is something you can buy almost anywhere, pick it up and learn, or even get info online easily, an airbrush is specialized, and requires more know how, and no all airbrushes are created equal. Unlike a paint brush I wouldn't exactly call their use 'intuitive' as it is totally something better taught then merely to 'wing it'. After several airbrush classes, and one with Dutch Bihary, it seems everything I expected would be a challenge with airbrushes was more or less true. Though that's just my opinion through my own personal experience.

I stand by my assertion that a basic professional airbrush set up is more expensive then your basic face painting set up. Sure if you add all the pro paint brushes, split cakes and other bells and whistles it's more or less the same, though I was talking about basic start up costs with basic colors.
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by LisaLotek on Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:03 pm

Forest-Fairy,

Do you have any recommendations as far as complete airbrush kits? Any favorite compressor brands / gun brands / paints?

LisaLotek

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:18 pm

I really hate a tit for tat, as since it should be clear to everyone here these are always only each posters opinions, therefore not need to stand behind what they post inre to subjects such as we have here. I know I can be guilty of reading a post to quickly or simply scanning through it, so reading the posts carefully can help this. But now I respond.....

As I posted the initial investment for an airbrush system vs classic face paint can be more expensive. My post refers to makeup. Cake makeup vs airbrush makeup per application is not necessarily more expensive. Simply as I stated one makeup is not really more expensive than the other.

There is no need for electrical power when airbrushing if you simply run an alternative air source such as Co2. My company has done hundreds of airbrush events from parties to multi day festivals over the last 15 years without power.

As airbrushing has a higher perceived value artist are able to charge more.

For insurance agents I suggest Specialty and Bomba both have underwriters that have policies for entertainers and small businesses.
Sweet Loretta

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:11 pm

LisaLotek wrote:Forest-Fairy,

Do you have any recommendations as far as complete airbrush kits? Any favorite compressor brands / gun brands / paints?

Compressor: Iwatta Max Jet
Airbrush: Paasche
Paints: Pro-Airr
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down