Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Beginning sizes and shapes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Beginning sizes and shapes

Post by Morninglory on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:43 pm

I have tried the serch function and have come up with nothing so I have a question.

What brush sizes and shapes do you consider your go to must haves, and why?

I am looking to do half masks, crown, and cheek art. I would like to have brushes designated to each color group to help keep things neat, but I don't want to buy a full set for each. I was thinking a flat, a chisel, and a round for each color and have 2or 3 fine details brushes and a few larger brushes but I'm not sure what sizes I should get.

I also am looking for a brush stroke template for each brush shape so I can practice my lines and shapes. Any help here would also be appreciated.
Morninglory

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2014-06-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Beginning sizes and shapes

Post by Boe on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:17 pm

Look at the post before you its called the kit essential s in the brush area Smile

Boe

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2012-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Morninglory on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:31 pm

Lol I read through that and some how missed the size she recommended!

So a 4&6 round for each color and 2 brushes in the larger and smaller sizes and shapes sound about right?
Morninglory

Back to top Go down

Post by Boe on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:50 pm

And maybe a #2 round brush for small detail Smile

Boe

Back to top Go down

Post by Morninglory on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:06 pm

Thanks, you have any recommendations for where to find a template, listing brush shape and strokes it is used for, so I can practice correctly?
Morninglory

Back to top Go down

Post by Boe on Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:53 am

Brush basics 101 by silly heather on youtube. Hope that helps.... and if you look around you might find some awesome stuff here maybe on 'howd you do that' area

Boe

Back to top Go down

Post by CassandraMcLaren on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:56 pm

I second Boe on the Silly Heather in youtube.

I'm not sure if you can follow this if I paste the link but I put a playlist together on YouTube for practice, some videos for strokes & technique;

Practice playlist

I think the one brush one colour thing is great if you have a small selection of colours (and can take a while getting used too for someone new, I spend a lot of time hunting for brushes as it is).  I only do so for black and white.  If you do go that route, I read somewhere that painting the ends of your brushes with nail varnish in the colour they are dedicated to helps.  

I would suggest you get a one stroke cake for your crowns and a 3/4" flat or a 1inch flat depending on the size of one stroke.  I think this would cut time and brushes i.e. x3 one strokes for selection and x3 dedicated flats.

I couldn't live without No2 and No4 brushes - I find No.6 too big and you can accomplish anything with a No.4 - its your workhorse.

My favourite brand right now (for rounds) is Royal & Langnickel Sunburst 2000 range.

I also carry a No.0 but I have yet to use it - I guess it depends what your trying to accomplish in terms of detail.

Hopefully this helps, if you are in the UK I can link you some brushes that are reasonably priced and great to start with!  Very Happy 
CassandraMcLaren

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2014-03-06

http://www.rainbowcakestudio.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Morninglory on Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:18 pm

Thank you soo much!! You two have been wonderful.
Cassandra I am just starting and only have a basic pallet, but am already thinking of making some splits to play with. Very Happy so far I only have the brush that came with the set and a fine brush I used to use for eyeliner and the sponge that came with the pallet. I'm having fun but feel the need to have the correct tools.

Soo guess I'll start small with a few basic brushes and add more of what I find I need. Thanks again!!

Edit to add
THANK YOU FOR THE PLAYLIST!!!!!
Morninglory

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:51 pm

I wrote the kit esstentionals and yeah i didn't get too much into the sizes of brushes because every artist has a different style and uses different brands etc.

So i can only say what I use personally.

I tend to stick to the brand called Loew Cornell. My largest is a #12 flat and filbert, and smallest are #2 rounds.

Here is what I personally keep in my kit.
Four 3/4 flat brushes (#12's) in my kit, - Loew Cornell
One #12 Filbert - unknown brand
Two Petal Brushes large and small, - Silly farm brand
Two #10 flats, - loew cornell and Royal soft grip
One #8 filbert - Royal Soft Grip

One set of Loew Cornell Soft Comfort round Brushes #10, #6, #4, #2,

Two Sets of Loew Cornell Gold Grip round Brushes #6, #4, #3

One #2 round - Loew Cornell

and 3 other misc brushes of an unknown brand I use as chip brushes, for stipple, splatter, or rough work.

I also have spares at home for when I need to retire these brushes.

Hope this helps!
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top