Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Why are my colors so transparent??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why are my colors so transparent??

Post by Kw00 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:02 pm

I am using diamond FX paint, and other's brush strokes are nice and opaque and vibrant, but mine look watered down, no matter what I do. Tried using less water. Cheap paint brush, maybe?

Kw00

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-06-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are my colors so transparent??

Post by creativefunfaces on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:51 pm

It maybe the color itself. I know some of the neons ands metallic colors can come out that way. If not that, maybe you are not loading your brush enough? Try using a little more water and work it into the palette a little longer?
Hope I helped Very Happy 

Amy
creativefunfaces

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2012-01-24

http://creativefunfaces.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kw00 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:31 pm

It was indeed a neon. A neon cake, matter if fact. I did notice that when I used the colors on my palette I didn't have that problem, but I was also using different brushes, so I wasn't sure. Thanks!

Kw00

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by creativefunfaces on Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:54 pm

I have noticed and also read that the neon cakes pick up better with a sponge rather than a brush. You also could work the sponge a bit more with the neon to make it more vibrant.  Very Happy 
Amy
creativefunfaces

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2012-01-24

http://creativefunfaces.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:00 pm

There are lots of colors that work better as a base than for linework. Experiment and see! And notice which colors appear dark and bold in others' designs. The linework is most often done with black, white, and darker tones of colors. And lots of pearl paints, etc. don't create that "outlining" look you may be going for.

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:58 pm

Neons just hate being applied with a brush, they really like sponges better. You can get away with using them for lip stick or something small some times, but they don't like to base out, or do much like work. (The Lazy gits! lol)

Some other things to help all your colors load better:
~ DON'T swirl the brush in the paint, load your brush back and forth, WITH the bristles. This is the way it's meant to be loaded, and you will get MORE paint out of your brush when applying and go further with out having to reload. Also a great way to avoid the 'great hole to china' in your paints.

~ Synthetic brushes work better for face paint then real hair brushes!

~ Avoid having too much water on the brush. This will make your cakes too wet as the soak up the water, and be terrible for a nice application later. Remember it's easier to add more water when needed then to take away.
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by cammidale on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:25 am

Moonbow.Masquerade wrote:I am using diamond FX paint, and other's brush strokes are nice and opaque and vibrant, but mine look watered down, no matter what I do. Tried using less water. Cheap paint brush, maybe?

I have only one neon, DFX yellow. I do love the color but definitely feel your pain. Sponging it on does help. If you have time you can apply it over a dry wash of white. I've done that but it's important to have the right amount of water there too so you don't reactivate the white or drag it up from being too dry. I have not tried it over a white Starblend but intend to. Good luck! That is what I did in this photo...

Forest Fairy, I have definitely been taking the Great Hole to China route. I was trying to pass it off as my "line work well" as if it were intentional. I want to try making some of those little paint pots I read about on here. I can't remember the name you guys were using. You know with the boiling water process.

I also liked something I saw LisaJoyYoung doing which I believe she learned from FabaTV? Using an empty wheel to put small amounts of common colors in for flowers and details so as to keep cakes cleaner. I have so many projects I want to take on!!!
cammidale

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2014-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:32 am

I use a little well in my black and white, for line work. Been doing it for years, with no problems at all.
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:47 pm

I prefer the little well in my Wolfe white and black. But I will try the back-and-forth method for other colors.

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:09 pm

Dippy Pots is what you're referring to, Cammidale. However, in my experience, it really only works for making dots. You just dip 'n dot with it. For me, it doesn't load my brush enough for line work. Better to have the little well in the center of your black and your white.

Kryolan, which are the absolute best neons for UV light purposes, require a sponge and a very tricky paint to water ratio - then you have to pat them on.
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:23 pm

My paints used to have the 'well' or 'hole' in them too for a bit. The back and forth method I actually learned from Dutch Bihary in a small class of his here in Vancouver that my college invited me too. He was supposed to be talking about airbrushing, but i kept asking face painting questions and he was more then happy to share how he does his line work. As a former comic book illustrator he really knows his stuff, and more then willing to share with Aryn and I how he gets his line work to go for so darn long with out a re load.

Load it back and forth he said. And since then, my work got WAY faster. Now I have to work on some of his other techniques with using thick lines as shadow and so forth. Really great stuff.
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top