Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

How to clean bruses during event

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to clean bruses during event

Post by jessfaceit on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:41 am

Hi,  I'm Jessie. I'm new to face painting and new to this forum.  I've been practicing at home and with my daughter and grandchildren and posting pics on my FB page and I've been asked to paint for a back-to-school event a friends church is hosting.  I just have one question.  Is it necessary to clean brushes (and sponges) between each use for every child, and if so what is the best/quickest/easiest way to do that?  At home I use baby shampoo and really work it in the brush and rinse well, but that's not going to be possible between each child.  Any help is appreciated!

jessfaceit

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-07-28

Back to top Go down

Re: How to clean bruses during event

Post by thouartbeautiful on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:55 pm

There is much debate on this issue so you are bound to hear quite a few different answers. Ultimately it boils down to what your local laws are and then what you feel comfortable with.

Personally like to use a smaller amount of water in two large dark colored cups to wash out pigment while painting that I change out often (as soon as it looks icky) and then I have three small cups, 1 soap and water, 1 water and then 1 sanitizer to clean between customers and swap to a new brush while it dries. I then have a cup with clean water used only to activate the paint. Some artists would consider it OCD, but I would much prefer a parent declaring how clean my set up is, rather than fussing over muddy water (yes it's not exactly dirty but people have a limited level of understanding).

If you would like to read previous threads on this issue, type "face paint forum hygiene/ sanitizing" into Google search and some threads should pop up.
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by poopitypants on Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:12 pm

I don't clean my brushes between children, only events, unless I paint something questionable (bad acne, didn't notice a rash, etc). I don't have enough brushes to put 1 or 3 for each face out of commission right now. But the plan is, as long as the event doesn't have me working like a dog, to eventually get doubles (maybe triples?) of my commonly used brushes and set up the 3 cup system.

Right now I'm sticking to iso alcohol baths between gigs!

poopitypants

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:00 pm

I don't do more than rinse out my brushes as I work. If I paint a child that sends up a red flag in my mind, I quarantine the tools I used for that face. (no double dipping)
This is the acceptable practice for my area. You may have different regulations where you are.
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:19 pm

While you can clean your brushes between each child, and (some places even require that you do) some times it just doesn't work.

After going to makeup school and talking with some of my mentors in the movie industry I think I have developed a pretty good method for cutting down on cross contamination that works with the rush and craziness of face painting.

Your paints (if professional grade) should already have anti-microbial agents in them. While it helps prevent the growth of bacteria it doesn't stop the spread of say, mono or pink eye from your tools.

It's best to have a small jar of 99% iso to dip your brush in after painting certain areas - namely the eyes, mouth, and nose. On these areas I make sure not to double dip in my paints. If i need more paint, i have to grab a new brush, SO i make sure i have my brush loaded enough to finish the job in one go (like lips stick), or have a large enough brush that can hold more paint (ex for doing spidermans eyes). After I'm done, I put them into the iso jar and then to dry before being used again (this doesn't take long as iso evaporates very quickly).

I also have a spray bottle of 99% iso to quick sanitize my brushes and paints with a spritz, but don't over do it or your paints will dry out big time.

Also make sure you are painting on a clean face, and never paint over sores or wounds of any kind, EVEN if they have scabbed over. and NEVER paint a person who is sick. Carry stickers in your kit for these occurrences and have this posted on a sign at your table. If you start painting and the kid starts to cough or sniffle, finish quickly as you can, and sanitize EVERYTHING that may have had contact with them before you continue, including the chair they were sitting in.

If you paint near the eyes or mouth you must fully sanitize your brushes. 

Use one sponge per person, and hand santizer between kids. I also spray my sponges with the 99% iso before putting them in the spent sponge bag. That way if for what ever reason i run out (hasn't happened yet) I know that they at least got some kind of treatment if i need to reuse one. This also helps with cleaning them later on after the gig.

Finally you have to actually wash your hands from time to time. I have a spray bottle of soapy water for this, and a towel with my setup.

These steps don't take a lot of time at all, and still allow for a smooth application. They are of course not as rigorous as makeup industry standard but they work.

good luck!
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by betherfly on Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:35 pm

how many sponges do you bring with you if you use them one time?
betherfly

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2015-02-10

http://www.skysthelimitstiltwalking.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:48 pm

Good counsel FF! I am so done with sick kids this year...

I got a little guy (about 6)with a VERY deep voice and commented, "Oh, listen, your voice is already changing--how old ARE you?"

He answered, "Oh no, I am just really really sick".

I caught his mom's eye, and blurted without thinking, "Wow, thanks for sharing that with me" as she darted from in front of the chair to behind my back.

Fortunately I was so humored by his candid & mom-embarassing response all I could do was laugh, so I never said another word to either of them! (5 minutes later all I wanted was a handful of vitamins & the sanitizing alcohol.)

Thanks for the signage reminder!!
anniel

Number of posts : 2313
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:34 pm

This is how we were taught to sanitize by Infectious Disease Control at SickKids Hospital, and the method is similar to how it is regulated in British Columbia.

No painting over a lesion, or sore.

One sponge per child.

At the hospital, we wash our hands both before and after every child, and we use sanitizer upon entering the room, and we sanitize our kit handles and fasteners.

On the job, hand sanitizer between every child.

We use a three tank system.

First tank has one drop of soap, any kind of soap, and water. I have a surgical scrub brush wedged into the bottom of the tank to help remove the paint from the brush.

Second tank has clear water, and a surgical scrub brush wedged into the bottom to help clean the brush really well. People can react to the soap, so rinsing well is really important.

Third tank has clear water.

I have a fourth tank of clean water for sponges, or dipping a clean paint brush into for loading water and paint.

I quickly dry out my brush, shaping it on a paper towel, or my black towel, to get as much excess water out of the brush, so as not to dilute the 70% alcohol.

Dip the brush in the 70% isopropyl alcohol, and leave out to dry. 99% alcohol dries much faster, and does not always sanitize the brushes as well as 70%. The down side is that it takes 5-10 minutes the brushes to dry completely for reuse. I carry a lot of brushes with me on the job.

Isopropyl alcohol dries without leaving a residue behind, so, once it is dry, you do not have to worry about irritating a child's mucous membranes.

I do this between every child. At the end of the event, I do not have a big clean up. My sponges are tossed into a lingerie bag, and washed in the sanitizing cycle of my washing machine, and then dried on high. I carry about 25 sponges per hour, per artist, per event. That is way more than I need, and I have almost run out ONCE, at the end of a long, long day. We went through over 600 sponges, and I had four left. I now have over 1,500 sponges, so I do not have to do laundry every day for large events. The sponges do not take up much room.
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by betherfly on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:42 pm

Thank you so much! this really helps!
betherfly

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2015-02-10

http://www.skysthelimitstiltwalking.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:54 pm

70% you say? I had read about this before of it being better then 99%, though i wonder what the reasons are.

I guess i use 99% because that's how we did it in makeup school. - though i know not EVERYTHING they taught in makeup school was 100% correct. I'll have to look into this more.

Since writing my response up there, I have updated a few things. I now add Silly Farm's Brush Bath to my Rinse water, and i see I didn't make it quite clear up there that I have 3 jars. Rinse, Clean Water, and Iso.
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:05 pm

Dear Forest-Fairy:
I asked Infectious Disease Control about higher percentages of isopropyl alcohol a long time ago. The answer was that the 99% dissipated too quickly to properly sanitize. They also pointed out that I am not actually sterilizing my brushes, only sanitizing. Sterilizing is not possible with brushes.
99% is FASTER!
The brushes dry a lot quicker than they do with 70%. I DO have enough brushes to cover the slower drying factor.
I am allergic to Silly Farm's Brush Bath. I know that the whole point in us having the extra water tanks would rinse off the residue of the soap. The soap does not do the sanitizing of the brush the way the alcohol works. The soap is a surfactant that helps lift off the the paint, and some germs.
I think 99% would be excellent on a hard surface.

xoxox
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:21 pm

lol i was just educating some one on surfactants in another thread lol.

I find the brush bath helps clean the brush better then a drop of soap and doesn't really leave the residue that soap does. Never heard of an allergic reaction to it though! I suppose there will always be someone who is allergic to something you got in your kit.

Hmmm that would make sense with the evaporation time VS time it actually has to fully work. I carry doubles of all my brushes but sadly not enough that I think i could wait for the 70% to fully dry.... 

I mainly do it with brushes i use around the lips, nose and eyes. Everything else gets the 99% spray when there is a lull. I figure with the brush bath they are getting a lot of the crap off them too.

Oh and I updated my 'finish quickly' if the kid starts coughing in your chair. What i meant was finish just right then lol. Some times if I think it's bad enough I'll stop in my tracks and not do anything else on the kid but hand them some stickers and send them on their way. Parents HATE you for that. But I have gotten sick too many f***ing times when i choose to just shrug and finish.
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:35 pm

I was sneezed on, in my face on December 24th, 2014 at about 10:30am.
I felt really, really terrible on December 26th, and I went out to Guelph to visit family. I was in and out of bed with a fever and a sore throat for two weeks. I went for a throat swab between Christmas and New Year's and it was negative. A week later, I was called and told that I had strep throat in the 'slow' culture from my throat.
I am with you, Forest-Fairy.
That sneeze cost me a lot of time, and money. I shared the strep with Tim's family, and who knows who else got this?

One of the first things that Infectious Disease Control told us was this...
"Face Painting is not a particularly hygienic pursuit." They gave us the best methods they knew for us to follow.
There are times we paint with Q-Tips, from a metal palette, and everything is thrown away that goes into the hospital room. Our sponges are thrown away at hospital, so I use my home-cut sponges from my favourite store.... Canadian Tire!

xoxox
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:44 pm

yeah i would never paint at a hospital.

1. Face painting is not hygienic enough in my mind and i wouldn't want to risk it.

2. I hate even going into hospitals to visit friends who are sick or just had a baby. I send flowers lol. Hospitals freak me out and turn me into a hypochondriac.

Wondering if i might have Strep right now from my  Monday gig... I've never had it before, but I've NEVER had a sore throat like this before. My ears even hurt. We are waiting a day or so to see if it pass's or gets worse. I really hope it's not.

That girl at the Monday gig coughed in my face right as i finished. Then the rest of the event i heard her coughing BAD. Then i knew, and i was like F**k...

Who brings their sick children to a birthday party??!?!?!?!? REALLY!!!!!???  Evil or Very Mad
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:58 pm

Dear Forest-Fairy, go for a throat swab, if your sore throat lasts three days or more.

I have never knowingly brought one of my children to a party when they were ill.  Having said that.... I sent 13 year old Holland for a visit with his cousin during March Break.  He had some small blisters, here and there on his body and face.  I bought Benedryl.  I though he was having an allergic reaction.  My lovely sister-in-law bought some Benedryl for Holland, too.  Holland could NOT have contracted Chicken Pox, as he had been inoculated as a small child.  Our two oldest had Chicken Pox so bad, that I did not want to have our youngest go through what our two oldest go through.
IT WAS CHICKEN POX!
I did not think it was possible.
Holland gave Chicken Pox to his 14 year old cousin, who suffered greatly.
Bad Mum.
Bad Mum.

xoxoxo

Last edited by fesspenter on Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot something important.)
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:24 pm

yeah this is day two, and I think it's feeling better (yay) but yesterday was torture. Yes if it lasts longer I'm going to the clinic. I'm in Canada with free health care so there's no excuse lol.

Wow really? Chicken Pox and he had already had it? Whoa... That's is totally bizarre.
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:32 pm

I kept getting better, then worse, better, then worse, with my throat.

Holland had been vaccinated against Chicken Pox, and ended up getting it, anyway.

My children were all vaccinated against Whooping Cough, and all three came down with it during a summer, while we were camping, in a tent, beside the water of Barry's Bay. For nine nights in a row, my three children took turns coughing until they threw up on me, their sleeping bags, my feet, all night long. I am so glad that they did not vomit all at the same time.
Ah!
Fond memories of Algonquin Park.

xoxox
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:48 pm

better then worse you say? Well there goes my optimism Razz but good to know. SO glad the client canceled this weekend, free deposit money and I don't have to be the one to cancel, Yes! lol
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top