Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

best metallic/pearl/sparkle for line work?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

best metallic/pearl/sparkle for line work?

Post by jlirie on Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:25 pm

hi all,

just registered on the fpf this afternoon, have been finding good info & tips here for awhile. i started face painting for the first time as a volunteer with a local youth agency 4 years ago. they had the dreaded palmer face paints and after researching face painting, i at least got them to switch to snazaroo available at a local craft store.

my own practice kit is most of the snaz sparkle & metallics, with the necessary wolfe white & black for line work. will be phasing in other brands, to get away from the paraben preservatives.

i just got one of the new ruby red line, the lime green. great coverage and slightly better than snaz for details, but has some of the clay pudding texture when moistened.

i love face paints with shimmer and sparkle, so i'm wondering if there are any white and black (and other colors) metallic, pearl, or sparkle face paints that are good for line work and details? i.e. at least as good as wolfe regular white and black.

also, does the metallic/pearl/sparkle effect show up in lines, teardrops, dots, etc?

thanks,
"j lirie"
jlirie

Number of posts : 1802
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Re: best metallic/pearl/sparkle for line work?

Post by thouartbeautiful on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:01 pm

Different blacks do have a different sheen but for the most part I find the metallic colors don't stand out enough for my linework and teardrops. Some colors other than black and white work great for line work, but I usually try for "true" colors when wanting crisp lines to pop. For good linework brands, I would look at Wolfe, Tag, DFx, or Cameleon (there's other great brands I'm sure!). I'm really new so there might be colors that I have yet to try, but this is what I've personally experienced.
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus on Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:20 pm

I sometimes use metallic black TAG (or is it black pearl?) for linework when working on very small children because I think dark black can be harsh when theyíre very little and have a very pale complexion but I donít know of any metallic that will be as opaque as a flat. Some metallics are more opaque than others, so I guess you could use them for linework if you wished, but I donít know of any metallic/pearl black or white that compares to the coverage you get with wolfe black and white. I love the way the pearls look in the light and might eventually go all metallic/pearl because I think they look just as great on boys as they do girls.
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:11 pm

thanks for your quick replies so far. i see both your points, wanting dark lines, and in some cases not too dark or stains. i will keep the tag in mind, when my wolfe black gets low Smile

i also like sheen for boys' designs, works if you think of superhero costumes, metals in cyborgs/robots/knights, iridescence in lizards, etc.

j lirie
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by monelle on Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 am

I just got Diamond FX Metallic Black--what a disappointment! It not only does not cover that well, but the metallic effect, if any, is invisible. I might try mixing black holographic glitter with black paint ... has anyone tried that?
monelle

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post by MelindaT0813 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:17 pm

I really like the dark metallic blue and purple for line work. For example http://www.facepaintforumshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=365
and Wolfe has a very nice metallic dark blue too.
I do fing that for the purple I always add a bit of black to it before I start painting so that it is opaque enough(dip in black and then mix into purple) So now that I am thinking of it, not INCREDIBLY metallicy, but very pretty Smile

Also, FAB has this ocean shimmer that is amaze for tear drops on masks, birds and so on, but again, not super opaque, just really pretty.
MelindaT0813

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2011-03-16

http://www.mindyentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:25 pm

seems like most metallics are not as deep or opaque, must be the added metallic ingredient, i'm assuming mica, means less pigment, or maybe because it reflects?
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by GeordiePainter on Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:53 am

I don't use a lot of metallics but one product I will rave about is the Superstar silver - name is Pure Silver (product number 056). The coverage is brilliant - very opaque so great for line work in particular.

I use it quite a lot for minions (their little eye glass frames) and it covers easily over the top of the yellow and white.
GeordiePainter

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2014-05-20

http://newcastlefacepainter.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by monelle on Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:38 am

Thank you--great tips!

MelindaT0813 wrote:I really like the dark metallic blue and purple for line work. For example http://www.facepaintforumshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=365
and Wolfe has a very nice metallic dark blue too.
I do fing that for the purple I always add a bit of black to it before I start painting so that it is opaque enough(dip in black and then mix into purple) So now that I am thinking of it, not INCREDIBLY metallicy, but very pretty Smile

Also, FAB has this ocean shimmer that is amaze for tear drops on masks, birds and so on, but again, not super opaque, just really pretty.
monelle

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:34 am

silver outlining sounds cool, i will try that, maybe gold and copper, too.

i am kind of partial to white or light colored outlining rather than black, especially for young kids or light colored girly designs.
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:58 am

when i do use black, adding purple sounds cool, i will try that, too, as i like the effect of blended colors.
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:21 pm

Wolfe...my choice for great metallics for line work.
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:34 pm

Seconding Loretta - I use Wolfe's (or DFx's) metallic purple and green for linework.
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:42 pm

so my whole face painting world can be shimmery? sweet!
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top