Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Newbie Venting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Newbie Venting

Post by tashasbowtique on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:30 am

ok so, this is no question but maybe if you have any suggestion hehe i'm soooo open to it..
I just got my painting kit..wolfe 12 colors thing...

so I tried it on my daughter, she asked for a butterfly...omg! it turned out so UGLY..she was happy...she said she was a butterfly superhero..so u get it..the butterfly looked terrible.....I can't seem to get the color to really appear....

I think I need to press the sponge harder towards the paint..i don't know!!

I'll take some picture next time I paint...
tashasbowtique

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2014-08-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Newbie Venting

Post by Morninglory on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:55 am

I have serous issues with the butterfly!

Are you unhappy with the design it's self or is it the sponge coverage only?

If it's the sponged paint coverage:
Make sure you are loading the sponge well
Tap don't drag on the skin
Find the correct water balance for the paint you are using

Use the search fiction and type sponge, there are many tips that the seasoned painters of this forum have shared.

Have fun!
Morninglory

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2014-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:05 am

I find when I first activate new paint it!takes a bit to get the sponge loaded just right. I dunk the sponge and squeeze it out so it's just damp and rub on the cake, if it's not enough paint yet then just dip the very tip back in and work the pant again, I go for a creamy texture when applying paint
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:29 pm

What type of sponge? How are you loading it? Wolfe never really get creamy like glycerin makeups. Wolfe teaches to use with their sponges very slight water, load well. And Wolfe teaches a drag not dab method. Their method gets their vibrant color results.
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tashasbowtique on Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:54 pm

I have no idea what kind of sponge. i juist bought it at the craft store. i will order some nice brushes and sponges soon...i tried painting a pony..that went well...with brush of course.hahaha

i was dabbing and dragging...and then when i try to outline the butterfly..it looked funny. i think i need to practice more and get a smaller flat brushes.
thanks for the tips everyone! i will check out more tutorial on youtube too!
tashasbowtique

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:07 pm

Well there's your problem.... *spits*

lol sorry love saying that.

Craft store sponge + dragging the sponge to apply.

Not all sponges are created equal. Craft sponges are generally not made to be used on skin, so they are not dense enough and are the wrong material to really pick up the paint.

My sponge of choice: Fantasy World Wide

These are worth their weight in gold. Get the 10 pack and save big time.

Get some of those, cut them into half moons (you never up with twice as many sponges) and you are off to the races. Invest in good tools for your kit and your kit will invest in you!

Next off is loading the sponge.
FIRST you want to get a spritz bottle and stay the sponge with it for your water. This way you don't have to 'dip' in your jar, and you can control the amount you want. Which isn't as much as it would absorb if you dipped it in the water. Next you want to drag the sponge back and forth on the PAINT  to load up the sponge.

Application:
You don't want to 'drag' the sponge on the skin, instead you want to 'pounce' it. Basically making it jump up and down and make small quick bounces on the skin. This will apply the color properly.

Give this a whirl and let me know how it goes. Smile

Happy to help.
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by tashasbowtique on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:10 pm

Thank you everyone for the advices!

@forest Fairy : I am going shopping tomorrow...so yeah!!! LOL!

Anyone have any suggestion which brushes I should get..I bought some that's ROYAL brand..I don't quite like it..cause when I try to make lines, it broke and made my lines well...ugly!.

So...since I'm going to buy some supplies..I think I want to get the NEEDED brushes...sizes and kinds? flat brushes...round pointy whatever whatever..I'm still learning the language...=D thank you again in advance!
tashasbowtique

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:50 am

Everyone is different so i can only say what I use personally for face painting.

I tend to stick to the brand called Loew Cornell. My largest is a #12 flat and filbert, and smallest are #2 rounds.

Here is what I personally keep in my kit.
Four 3/4 flat brushes (#12's) in my kit, - Loew Cornell
One #12 Filbert - unknown brand
Two Petal Brushes large and small, - Silly farm brand
Two #10 flats, - loew cornell and Royal soft grip
One #8 filbert - Royal Soft Grip

One set of Loew Cornell Soft Comfort round Brushes #10, #6, #4, #2,

Two Sets of Loew Cornell Gold Grip round Brushes #6, #4, #3

One #2 round - Loew Cornell

and 3 other misc brushes of an unknown brand I use as chip brushes, for stipple, splatter, or rough work.

I also have spares at home for when I need to retire these brushes.

Hope this helps!
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by tashasbowtique on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:07 am

awesome!! Thank you so much! I am excited!!!!!!
I can't find some of your brushes here at the shop...do you have any other shop i can shop at? Some brushes looked so big/small in the website, they didn't put the size either. errr..lol!
tashasbowtique

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:35 pm

I couldn't find mine locally either I had to special order them on Amazon ad other stores online

Loew Cornell Comfort Round Brushes - Good set, though i don't use them as much as the gold grips, they are good for some variety.

Gold Grips - These are my work horses, most of all the #4, get lots of #4's

Silly Farm sm petal brush - Perfect for small flowers, these petal brushes make it stupid simple.

Silly Farm Lg Petal Brush - These really are worth their weight in gold! Get 2+

#10 flat - This one has really lasted a long time, I'm impressed

#12 Flat one stroke - Get a few of these if you plan on doing one stroke style, like 5+ This one is the best in my kit IMO.

#2 round gold grip - Good for when you need some fine lines

Remember to have your brushes last longer don't leave them standing in water as it ruins the tips. (my husband does that ALL the time and it drives me nuts!)

Happy to help, remember these should help get you started, but remember to always Try New Things and never limit yourself.

Pro Tips for Brushes:

- Synthetic bristles are best for face painting

- Wooden handles will break down fast the more you expose them to water. Cracking and flaking paint. Opt for plastic or Acryic handles that will last much longer where possible. (Or paint the wooden handle with clear nail polish, this will help prolong it's life).

- Load your brush back and forth - don't 'swirl'. This helps load more paint, so you don't have to go back for more as often, and is gentler on your brushes.

- Not every brush that is good for canvas painting will be good for face painting. Get brushes that are soft and short handled.

- Your face painting brushes are for face paints ONLY don't contaminate them with poster paints, acrylic or otherwise. This will also help them last longer.

- Don't leave your brushes sitting in water, this will ruin and bend the tips.

- Take care of your brushes

- Practice being clean on the job (Note: while this product is great, it should not replace normal sanitation practices, but be used in addition)

- When rinsing in 99% iso, let them air dry asap. Too much exposure to iso will loosen the glue holding the bristles in place at the ferrule.

- Make sure your brushes have a nice safe place to live. Invest in a brush case or brush easel.

-PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to your new obession 
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by tashasbowtique on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:09 pm

wow! thanks for all the info! I need to bookmark this ^^. Thanks soooo sooo much! I bought the protege's pack as my husband doesn't let me buy anything expensive just yet. I guess when I get my first birthday gig, he'll let me. I bought a small brush for lining i think it was a round brush #1 or #0 don't remember =(.

Thank GOD you mentioned not leaving the brush in the water for too long..well I just left mine today..and it is still in the water as I am typing haha! I will clean it right away!...WILL NOT LEAVE THEM there anymore!

I bought this box for my brushes..but it's not specially made for brush..I thought of just putting them all in there without sorting them or anything..just a box full of brushes.....I guess I should not do that then.

thank you again THANK YOU!
tashasbowtique

Back to top Go down

Post by Giggle Loopsy on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:17 am

Hi there Tasha!  The most important thing I can tell you is to not get discouraged!  You should have seen some of my first faces–holy cow they were terrible!  So much so that I eventually took them off my website and replaced them with better ones.  Ouch!

Stick with it and you'll get there, I promise!  I do face painting tutorials on YouTube now and I've done one on a simple butterfly.  You can check it out if you like.  

Happy painting!

Giggle Loopsy
Giggle Loopsy

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2014-08-05

http://giggleloopsy.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top