Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Gardening and preserving food

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gardening and preserving food

Post by amylady222 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:09 am

so it is the time of year here to start harvesting the garden the putting up the food. We have a super short growing season since I Live at 8000 feet above sea level.

Any other garden people on here?

What do you plant? How do you preserve your food?

Today green beans and jalapeno's on the list to get in the freezer for me.

In my garden (which my in-laws planted for us this year since they were renting our house and we didn't return until after planting time) we have lettuce, peas, carrots, beats, three kids of beans, corn, jalapeno's, green peppers, broccoli, spinach, pumpkins, yellow squash, beats, and some kind of radish I have never seen before.

anyone have pictures? I always say I will try to post and it never happens--but maybe this time Smile

amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Gardening and preserving food

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:30 am

I used to have a huge garden on the coast, but I can't get anything to grow here except flowers. Our season is less than 90 days, and the soil in our yard has been contaminated by previous owners using the "garden" area as a garbage dump.

Instead we joined a local CSA farm and every week we get a big box of fresh produce picked that day - so I still get to shell peas, blanch and freeze beans, try to figure out what to do with blimp sized zucchini... all the results without the work of planting and growing.

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:06 am

Shannon--
that is horrible to hear about the previous owners!

Awesome job joining a CSA farm--
Ah the zucchini problem is one we have here too--but we didn't have a single zucchini plant this year so we will be some of our neighbors best friends Smile

I actually like the planning and weeding the best in the garden--the planting, harvesting, and preserving I wish someone else would do.

Our growing season is just about 90 days here so everything we grown has to be a fast growing variety.
amylady222

Back to top Go down

Post by PixiePaintrix on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:08 am

I have an apple and cherry trees so I do a lot of canning in the fall. The rest I generally buy at farmer's markets to pickle as I really am not a fan of gardening Smile
PixiePaintrix

Number of posts : 284
Registration date : 2014-01-13

http://www.pixiedustpirates.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Giggle Loopsy on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:23 am

I love garden fresh fruits and veggies! Unfortunately, I struggle to keep the plants on my kitchen windowsill alive. I cannot be trusted with anything more!

Thank goodness for our local farmer's markets!
Giggle Loopsy

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2014-08-05

http://giggleloopsy.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by lady jynx on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:00 pm

We love gardening. Sadly we didn't get much put in this year and what we did got seriously neglected. But we have been harvesting fruit nobody wants this year and have managed to put up and give out a ton of jams.

lady jynx

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2012-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:22 pm

This has been my first full year with a legit garden. I try to post pics to my garden album on facebook if you want to add me. I love seeing pics of other people's harvests and canning. I also love sharing recipes!
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:10 pm

so to keep this random thread going---I can't figure out how to load pictures--yes I have read and followed the tutorials, but I am just not getting it Smile

BUT we also have chickens--two days ago a dog got into our rooster cage (we only have 1 of the 3 roosters in it) and fatally wounded it...long story short--cop came, couldn't find dog own--friend came and shot the rooster for me (cop wasn't to happy about the gun shot in town-but the poor thing was suffering!).

I am so happy because it is almost to freezing tempatures and I won't have to deal with the garden anymore--hopefully I am not the only one who feels like this about the garden--

But peaches, pears, green beans, pepper's, and corn are all frozen or canned and apples and carrots are going to be finished soon!! YEAH!
amylady222

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top