Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

first proper paid 'Gig' ..... nerves

View previous topic View next topic Go down

first proper paid 'Gig' ..... nerves

Post by jess1802 on Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:40 am

Hello everyone Smile
I had my very first proper paid face painting gig at my local Woolworth's. 3hrs worth. I wasn't nervous until I actually got there & set up. Mind you it was on Saturday from 10:30am-1:30pm - busiest times EVER! When my first face paintee sat down I was that damn nervous my whole arm was shaking & I was stuffing up the line work because of it. It literally took me about 15 minutes to calm. Is there anything anyone does to stop this? I was fine after that but it was horrible! I was scared I'd mess up the face paint and then started freaking and it kind of snow balled but inside my mind haha. In the end I did around 30 kids within 3 hrs. It was literally non stop. I just want to see if anyone has any tips on tackling the nerves when they take over???
Thanks in advance <3
jess1802

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: first proper paid 'Gig' ..... nerves

Post by JJJJJ on Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:51 am

Deep breath. Ask the child a question or two about themselves (What's your favorite flavor ice cream? What's your yuckiest food? Who's your favorite character? Etc.). As you engage with the child a bit, it will return you to yourself and who you are. That takes the focus off your nerves. Then, you can paint the child while concentrating on the fact that you are doing it to create something special for that child. This thinking can return you to who you are and what you're doing, instead of concentrating on "how it all looks to everyone." With time, you'll be fine! Keep on plowing through the early gigs. You'll get there!

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:10 pm

i would also add, practice your designs so you are confident you can do them at any time. and especially practice your line work and details so you have a style you can do automatically.

never try a new design at a busy event, that's just asking for embarrassment!
jlirie

Number of posts : 1794
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshi on Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:24 pm

I have been painting for a little over 2 years now and I am still a nervous wreck before every event. ..lol!
I tell myself that.... At any given moment, at any event, no one knows about paints and my designs as much as I do. The more confident you are about your own abilities, the better your face painting will be!
Joshi

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2013-09-19

http://www.HennafyMe.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Giggle Loopsy on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:21 pm

Hi Jess! What you're describing is totally normal. I think most all of us experienced that our first time. The good news is if you just keep putting yourself out there, your nerves will calm.

In fact, I would be willing to bet next time you'll be far less nervous! Keep up the good work.  Very Happy
Giggle Loopsy

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2014-08-05

http://giggleloopsy.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:35 pm

This some times still happens to me, and i don't know what triggers it lol. I'm a pretty out spoken person and an extrovert, but some times at the beginning of a long day of painting i find my hand shaking just a little.

Lucky I know how to get rid of it!

Deep breaths - I know i know, you have already heard this. But it works because you are giving more oxygen to your blood and letting your brain get more in tune. This then works to calm the whole system. Science! I find it helps when i also say in mind HOW breathing will help with the nerves, as it cements in my mind that this action is just as deliberate as taking a pill or something.

Music - If there is no music around to listen too, start humming to yourself. Get a catchy song stuck in your head to keep you going, something that makes your body move or tap your foot. This totally works as a great distraction from your thoughts! and the rhythm keeps you moving!

Shake it out and Stretch beforehand - Before i sit down to work I try to remember to stretch a little and shake it off. I flap my hands a bit, do some shoulder shrugs and neck stretches, put my arms way up in the air and stretch, and also twist my back a bit. Some times I might even 'hop' once. This helps keep the blood moving and has the same effect as deep breaths.

I try to always do this before a big event, whether i feel nervous or not. Don't kid yourself, face painting is a type of performance art, so if you feel on the spot before a 'show', do as the actors do before going on stage. Smile
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by jess1802 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:21 am

Thank you everyone for your replies, I will definitely give breathing a go and really try and relax Smile
Fingers crossed for my next event that I go better Very Happy
xo
jess1802

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top