Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

My Awesome New Mega Onestroke Container

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My Awesome New Mega Onestroke Container

Post by Snickell on Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:55 am

After much research and consideration, I finally found the perfect onestroke container for my kit!

I had a few stipulations:

- It had to to be long enough to pick up enough paint on the stroke
- It had to be thin enough to fit in my paint case (a file-storing clipboard)
- It had to be big enough to fit aaaaall the color combos I wanted

Pill boxes just felt too short to pick up much paint on the stroke, most bead-boxes I found at Michael's and Joan's were too bulky to fit in my case, and I wanted something that would be long enough to squish color combos together to save paint (eg- I could put my Fire 1S next to my Yellow Leaf 1S so they could share the strip of yellow paint) I found the solution hiding in art supplies I already had. A watercolor pallet case!

Its perfect! Deep enough to hold enough paint without being bulky, wide enough to pick up enough paint on the stroke, and long enough to hold all those paint combos! Why didn't I think of it before?!

I started off by deciding what color combos I really wanted, and what order I would place them to save as much paint as possible. I would be cutting the strips of paint out of Wolfe paints I already have and wanted to salvage as much as possible to continue using as single colors.

Using an Exacto knife, I cut thin strips of paint out of the rounds and carefully eased them out of the containers. I also had a stainless steel pallet and pallet knife.

Then I went to put it into my new pallet and... womp womp.

It just sat there, like... a sad worm. This wasn't going to work, especially once I started adding more strips of color. So I cast around for something to brace the paint against and found the solution in the pallet itself! Cutting a strip of plastic from the watercolor well casing with an Exacto knife, I braced it with a little roll of clay to keep it upright temporarilly. It worked perfectly and I was able to set the slice of paint in and wedge it against the plastic. This brace really helped keep all the colors straight and clean.

I just kept laying in the colors in the order I wanted. The only ones that gave me any trouble were yellow (super crumbly and hard to press into place) and dark blue (reeeeeally wet, almost stretchy and wanted to stick to everything on the face of the planet) When I had everything nice and neat the way I wanted in the watercolor case, I covered and pressed down with a baby wipe to even out the surface.

While I had all my tools out, I went ahead and switched out the strip of violet in my Paradise Flash splitcake for Wolfe purple, using the violet in my watercolor onestroke case instead. (I always felt that the violet in that particular splitcake felt very harsh compared to the rest of the colors, especially on little faces. The Wolfe purple is a little lighter and softer and seems to balance out more)

All said and done, I ended up with a onestroke (splitcake?) pallet that perfectly fulfills all my needs and cost me absolutely nothing to make. Even if you have to go out and buy a watercolor pallet, I haven't seen them sold for more than about $3. Just make sure that it is deep enough to hold a good amount of paint, doesn't have any plastic nubs or anything sticking out from the bottom, and that the lid can latch close without touching and ruining your paint.

It truly broke my heart to cut into my Wolfe paints, but the end result was so worth it. I did end up using almost all of a new 45gm white (the scraps got smooshed into my 90gm backup) and my 30gm black (planning to buy a new one and liquify whats left of this one for linework) as well as a surprising amount of red and purple. But now I have a huge set up onestroke options without having to sacrifice any space on my table!

I hope that this all can help someone else who was in a similar situation as I was!

PS: Please let me know if anyone is having trouble with viewing the pictures and I will do my best to resize them- I'm still figuring out how uploading pictures works on this forum...
Snickell

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2014-07-08

http://www.FairytailFABA.com

Back to top Go down

Re: My Awesome New Mega Onestroke Container

Post by amylady222 on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:57 am

Love the idea of the watercolor pallet! Thanks for sharing! you are a brave woman t cut all those up, but what a wonderful result!
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:58 am

That is a unique idea--keep us posted on how you like it!
anniel

Number of posts : 2313
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful on Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:36 pm

Sounds perfect for a travel kit
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:55 pm

You two are both so smart!
anniel

Number of posts : 2313
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:21 pm

snickell - you are a genius! i was just thinking of how to line up my snaz colors with white in between and certain colors next to each other to get various split combinations. now i can do the never ending split cake, lol cheers bounce
jlirie

Number of posts : 1792
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:43 pm

When I looked at this last night, not all of the images were loading for me and I was wondering if you were doing what I thought you were doing... today I can see them all and I'm really curious to know how this all works out. †Having the flexibility to grab any several lines of colors and making up a split on the fly would be pretty awesome! †Also saves space and easy to locate what you want.

I am wondering if water from the previous swipe of the brush on an adjacent set of colors would interfere with the one you're currently going for or not though (like run off at all).

I also cringe at the thought of cutting up those perfectly round colored cakes you have... I'm potentially looking into buying some 50g TAG cakes to making into splits... but I'd be buying them for that sole purpose and if I used the squarish cakes afterwards, I could handle a chunk out of the side but my heart has issues with pieces missing from the middle/sides of a round Razz
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by tashasbowtique on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:53 pm

I was just thinking about THIS LAST NIGHT! .. What if I just make one stroke that's LOOOONG! hahahaha! cool! you actually did it!
tashasbowtique

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2014-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickell on Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:58 am

@amylady222, @anniel, thank you so much! I will definitely keep you all posted as to how its working out for me.

@thouartbeautiful, I've never had to utilize a 'walking kit' before, but now that you mention it this would be ideal! I have a hip strapping brush holder from my regular beauty makeup kit, would just have to make something for my other hip to hold my water containers...

@jlirie, @tashasbowtique, NEVER ENDING SPLITCAKE FTW! Its kind of a headache to figure out the best way to organize your color combos to get the most out of your paint (I think I took like... 3 hours? Only because I'm super obsessive and did tons of research on what the most popular and versatile combos were on this forum) But very much worth it. So satisfying.

@LittleMonsters, I haven't had too much chance to play with it yet but from what time I did get to experiment so long as you don't reeeeeaally overload the brush with water its not a huge problem. Its easier to start too dry, realize you need more water, and dip up more to reach just the right consistency. I did have an issue where some of the darker colors would go over the brigher ones (green from the leaf going over the yellow, going to paint with fire colors and picking up some of the green from before) but just wiping it off with a baby wipe solves that. Its the same as working with color transfer in your normal solid colors (eg, double dip flowers).

Cutting those rounds did hurt. Maybe if they were square it wouldn't be so much a bother visually. I think I'm just going to kind of squish what paint was leftover across the bottom and flatten it out, even if its only a few millimeters thin. I feel like that would help my setup look cleaner and more professional.
Snickell

Back to top Go down

Post by PaintedWingsandWishes on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:16 pm

*bows to greatness* I worship your idea.... I'll wait for the report on water blending the colors. Do diamond fx act like wolfe when repotting?
PaintedWingsandWishes

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2014-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:25 pm

as long as you cut them, how about putting halves together to make 2 color splits in your round cake containers? look good & save room in your kit..
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:22 pm

looks great for saving space! Would work great in a travel kit ^.^
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickell on Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:44 pm

So in following up on my promise to keep everyone updated on how Iím liking my new onestroke mega paletteÖ.

Ö. I HATE IT. †XD

Very anti-climatic, but I really canít stand using it! I was finding ways to NOT HAVE to use it! So, unfortunately, the project is-

The palette just isnít wide enough to pick up enough pigment unless you swipe 5 or 6 times, and by then you have picked up and moved paint all over the neighboring colors. I ended up going through half a box of baby wipes during a gig constantly cleaning the surface to get to pure colors. †Also, the water pooled everywhere! When you are practicing at home and have the luxury of time to be careful, access water isnít a big deal because you just clean it up. At a gig its just annoying.

As convenient as it was having all the colors literally in the palm of my hand, it didnít outweigh the frustration of having to be super careful to not accidentally make a mess and ruin my other color options.

I also realized that I gave myself waaaaaaaay too many color choices. While it was nice having the variety of one-stroke options to choose from, †its a waste of paint when you end up using mainly only 4 or 5 color combos the whole gig. In the end, however, I have to admit that the palette WAS useful because it allowed me to sample and find out what I would need the most.
(Not pictured was the 'yellow leaf' combo)

That being said, I tried again. I looked at the Paradise one-strokes in my kit and thought, why am I trying to reinvent something that someone has already perfected? Iíve never had a problem picking up pigment with my Paradise one-strokes, the colors have never muddied up on me, and while it does take more paint, its paint in colors that I will actually USE. Iíll make a large split cake sized one-stroke palette and put just my most used color combos in it! So I figured out (again!) what color combos I needed and how to arrange them. I even took the time to measure out exactly how wide the strips of color needed to be. (My previous spiderman 1S looked more likeÖ wellÖ Germany.)

Found my container (for a dolla, holla!)

And got to work. Iíve tested and used this new palette on 5 faces and 2 arms and love it SOOOOO MUCH. It fits in with my other Paradise one strokes (though it certainly looks messier- should I spray-paint the caseÖ?)

Let me tell you, it is MUCH harder trying to cleanly take apart a splitcake than it is trying to put one together. I ended up loosing a lot of paint because I wasn't able to separate the colors. All the scraps went back into their respective color containers.

To answer PaintedWingsandWishes, I beleive that Wolfe, Diamond, and even Tag are all so similar that a lot of people consider them almost the same paint. Something about all being produced in the same factory and then being shipped and labeled in different places. I've learned on the forum that if 2 paints have the same bases then there's a good chance that they will behave the same (I think Forest-Fairy knows more about the chemistry) That being said, my Wolfe paints run the gamut of consistencies. My dark blue feels like something between jello and sour cream, while my crumbly yellow does an amazing impression of sidewalk chalk. Trying to cut into and re-pot that was a mess. I almost preferred the squishy stuff.

jlirie, I briefly considered re-potting my scraps to make 2 color splits but decided against it because I love being able to coat the full side of my sponge to cover large areas for body painting. I'm weird like that. It also made smoothing down my paints easier in the end. I just put all my scraps in and squished and pressed and spread the color till it was all flat.

For some colors, like my green and yellow that were uber crumbly, I broke up the paint into as as fine as I could and sprayed it all down with water. I mushed it together and spread the mixture as evenly as possible across the bottom.

2 hours outside (I live in the desert, our puddles evaporate in like 2 minutes) had them stiff enough that I could use my palette knife to smooth down the surface again. For people who have problems with paint getting all melty outside, try sticking them in the fridge.

So yeah. LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES, PEOPLE.
Snickell

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:18 pm

Thanks for sharing! The big problem you ran into is exactly what I was concerned about. It was an interesting idea though Smile
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:30 pm

Overall i find TAG and DFX are most similar, and Wolf is close too but i find it more creamy with some and more dry with others.... really all over the place.

As for the color case idea, it's not a bad idea, but i think it needs to be refined and broken down into something more manageable. My first thought upon seeing it was really about how much i use some colors and how little i use others.

But just the other day i found this.

It's not really 'all' of the combos, but pretty darn close! †So nice i just might have to make these for my compact kit.
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickell on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:02 pm

Are the 50g Tag containers pretty much the same size as the Paradise empties? I could have arranged my colors perpendicular to the way I did and squeezed in 1 more set...

I think if people are trying out self-made splits for the first time, a good 'sampler' case would probably be that little Wolfe essentials palette, the one Kaci Anne made:

Snickell

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:40 pm

Thanks for letting us know it wasn't working!

I love all the paints I see here---so inspirational!
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:38 pm

Snickell wrote:Are the 50g Tag containers pretty much the same size as the Paradise empties?

No idea. I bought one paradise rainbow prizma cake long ago and it was so dark, i hated it. No idea where the container is now. Never bought the paradise small split cakes because I like to keep all my paints wax base.
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:30 pm

thanks for the research, not a mistake if you tried it and learned from it.

glad to know you figured out a better option. i will keep your results in mind when i get to a few home made split cakes i'm planning on.
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by PaintedWingsandWishes on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:43 pm

Thanks for the answers! Sorry it didn't work out, it looked godsent to me Razz If you haven't broken it down already, are you planning on selling it? Even if it isn't practical, all the color options make good practice.
PaintedWingsandWishes

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2014-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickell on Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:15 am

Unfortunately I already deconstructed it and used the pieces to make the reinvented one, with unused scraps being put back into their respective round colors.

I kind of feel like Artycakes, TAG, Prisma and Funstrokes could all benefit from offering a some sort of tiny 'sampler palette', for people to try out color combos before commiting to buying full 50g or 30g containers.
Snickell

Back to top Go down

Post by tashasbowtique on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:54 pm

I did the wolfe essential...I kinda liked it..but i like the one stroke containers better...
tashasbowtique

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2014-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top