Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Shopping for a camcorder/camera--any help?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shopping for a camcorder/camera--any help?

Post by amylady222 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:12 pm

Both my camera and camcorder came back from Korea acting very strangely.

We want to buy a camcorder that takes pictures but I know VERY LITTLE about camcorders---anyone have any suggestions?

Here is my knowledge thus far.

-I would like a flash drive camcorder. I would like to spend under $400 on it.

Yep--that is about all I know.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS: We are going to buy a 'cheaper' camera to have on hand in case both the hubby and I are going somewhere separate and we both want pictures. Pretty sure we will just get a Canon Powershot cause that is what we have had and we love it--but would like a better quality video.

I have asked my Facebook friends, but not much luck, so I thought I would try you guys out!

amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Shopping for a camcorder/camera--any help?

Post by jlirie on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:37 pm

cnet.com is one of the go-to websites for reviews of all kinds of electronics. there are others, too.

another source would be your local best buy or camera store.

i got a cheap samsung camcorder that also takes still photos this spring after reading up on models & assessing my budget.  it's ok, but panasonic & canon pretty much rule the affordable camcorder/camera world.

i would have bought a panasonic camcorder with 70x zoom if i could have afforded it.
jlirie

Number of posts : 1751
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:44 pm

Do you typically take more videos than you do pictures?
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:23 pm

It is about equal---

Nothing professional, mostly kids and family events
amylady222

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:53 pm

I personally use the Canon Rebel T5i. I finally got my DSLR so that I can play with lenses. This way instead of replacing the entire camera in X years, I can just upgrade with a new lense, etc...

Takes great photos and HD videos. The video files are huge though and you are limited by length/size so likely not as convenient as a camcorder but the capability is still all in one unit.
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Facepainting by Tina on Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:38 pm

I have this panasonic lumix camera and paid about $125 for it about 2 yrs. ago. It takes amazing photos even zoomed all the way (it says 21x zoom but has another button that allows you to zoom up to 177x!!) Here is a pic of the moon I took one night, it was pitch black out and yet it was able to focus so well,this was zoomed in to 177x...and I'm so shaky too...love this camera!

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS25-Compact-Digital-Intelligent/dp/B00ATE7W7G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1411259655&sr=8-3&keywords=panasonic+lumix

Facepainting by Tina

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2012-09-12

http://www.tinassugarshack.com

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:37 am

thanks all--
I should add-we only have walmart near (20 miles away) and the closest best buy/electronic store is about 2 hours away--so I am doing the online thing

jlirie--I will check that site out now!

Littlemonsters-- that is a great camera, but a little out of my price range right now Sad I will keep it in mind for when we budget something like this in! Thanks!

Tina--that picture is awesome!
amylady222

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:52 pm

once you get an idea of a few models, look at the customer reviews on the websites that carry them (amazon, best buy, b&h photo video, etc).

you can get an idea of how they work and what the issues are, from people who have used them.

look for specific comments about the zoom, focus, color, shakiness, flash, battery life, downloading photos to computer, etc. "i use it to take pics of my kids' soccer games" doesn't tell you a whole lot, even if that's what you plan to do, lol.
jlirie

Number of posts : 1751
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:45 am

I have a Canon PowerShot SX260 (this one: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Stabilized-Wide-Angle/dp/B0075SUK14/ref=sr_1_3?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1411393167&sr=1-3&keywords=canon+camera) that takes great pictures (even in low light) and full HD 1080P video.

I have stopped using my camcorder and only use my camera for video now. The video quality is better than my camcorder and I could also take great photos.

I feel that it has better optical capabilities than many other similar cameras for its size and price. The only feature I wish it had was wi-fi to sync more quickly/easily.
Kris5115

Number of posts : 712
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:39 am

Kris--do you use a SD card? How long can the videos be? How long does the battery last?

amylady222

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:04 pm

I use an SD card.  I have a 32 GB and have never filled it, even when recording the entire band concert (about an hour). Battery life has not been an issue either. But I do need to charge it more than my little point and shoot camera. I bring my charger when I go on vacation for a week or more because I take a lot of pictures on vacation and would be concerned about a dead battery after several thousand photos.
Kris5115

Number of posts : 712
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:31 am

I LOVE my new Canon Powershot SX170IS (I got the metallic red). It takes excellent pictures AND high quality videos. Got it when it was on a big sale at Best Buy and only paid about $128 (I think it can cost up to 200). Got a free card with it too (not flash drive, regular card). Has a LOT of features which I haven't even learned yet. I just use "Auto" and it comes out great.
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top