Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Digital Mockup of Created Splits

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Digital Mockup of Created Splits

Post by LittleMonsters on Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:37 pm

Ok, so I've been playing around with the idea of buying 50g TAG cakes to make one-strokes and rainbow cakes... this is what I came up with.

I did orange/yellow & light blue/blue 2-color splits because they were cheaper and 50g yellow was out of stock... unfortunately now orange/yellow is as well -_-

After digitally cutting them up this is what I had:

Bottom row to the centre-right are the left overs which could also be made into something but I need to go to bed...

Total cost in pic one is: $127.89
Total value in pic two is: $162.86 although 7 1-stroke containers need to be purchased so the overall gain is really only $26.22.  I'm just a little guy starting out... so not sure if that little $$$ is worth it for the amount of work.

Although I did consider the idea of putting 2 1-strokes in a 50g container and just making the middle matching color larger (ie: Flame & Rose would go together with a larger red or yellow middle, Dragon & Snake would go together with a larger black or yellow middle).  This would also allow you to sponge it on like a normal rainbow cake.  I'm also wondering if it's worth having the Fire/Dragon and Leaf Yellow/Snake combos or not... the difference is the black added but I guess it's nice to have the option to use it or not.  These would also work well together in the 50g as you'd have the 1 container and the option to use the black or not (but I like the other 2 combos better for if you want to sponge).

Any thoughts? Razz
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Digital Mockup of Created Splits

Post by amylady222 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:25 am

this is a brilliant idea to lay out visually the colors--

for me money is always more important than time--

I have a very small kit since I am a newbie and have the green combo and the fire one--I use the green a lot more--but great idea!

your flame and dragon are so similar--I personally would just make one for both.

amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:13 am

I would highly recommend the dragon over the flame and the snake over the yellow leaf. I'd also add a darker color to the rose. You don't have to pick up the darker color if you don't want it but so often, I find that I want that dark edge to outline the design.

I don't think it would take that long to slice and dice a few cakes like this so it seems like a good savings to me.
Kris5115

Number of posts : 741
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:00 am

nice planning idea. a couple thoughts to add to the good advice already.

some face painters have mentioned that fewer colors in their rainbow work better, ie 4-5 rather than 6, or even 3 primary colors that will blend into secondary colors where they meet. the example is the tag carnival cake with the fushia pink, yellow, and blue.

you might also consider a cake or two of mixed complementary colors for butterflies, and non traditional combos for tigers like blues/greens/purples, pink/orange, pink/purple (girl favorite), etc.  these combos can also work for things like unicorn manes, leopard spots, other critters, etc.

also, it couldn't hurt to have some combos for metal type designs like robots, cyborgs, knights, swords. here again, along with traditional colors like grey/silver, black, bronze/copper, white, you can accent with blues/purples/greens to show reflections, corrosion, etc.

whatever you decide on, you're going to have fun once you get this stash in your hands. Very Happy
jlirie

Number of posts : 1792
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks for the advice all Smile

And very true jlirie, it wou be nice to have some different combos. I REALLY struggle with colors... That's why I've always stuck with pencil and paper but I do love face painting. Little bit color blind here... At least color stupid, lol...
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 pm

well, i only got that idea from googling images of face paintings and discovering what other face painters have done. so whatever your inspirations are will probably work best.
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by amylady222 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:18 pm

I am color stupid too!

I have such a hard time decorating my house cause in my mind something looks great, but in real life it is not so pretty!

One more reason I love split cakes--I don't have to think about what colors to put with what!
amylady222

Number of posts : 1176
Registration date : 2012-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:21 pm

Lol amylady222. I have a hard time distinguishing between colors... especially when it's a mix of colors or not just a Yellow or just a Green... when it starts varying from that then I'm screwed... so I've colore a pic I drew before and the character had green skin (thought it was a flesh tone...) and I've done a sorting color activity at work and didn't realize I had purples mixed in with the blues until the kiddos figured it out... thought I was the teacher Razz
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:56 pm

ok, dude, you place that order yet, whadja git?

i am living vicariously through your well thought out spending spree.

Last edited by jlirie on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:02 pm

oh, you're gonna be in big trouble making your own split cakes going in with some color blindness.  Suspect   Razz

you gonna label the strips somehow as you cut them?

Last edited by jlirie on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo, duh)
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:06 pm

Lol... well with these colors I think I can be ok with knowing what is what... and I already have the DFX essentials kit so I know I can tell the difference between the yellow and light green and the orange and red so I think we're good.

I hadn't put in my order yet, because the TAG 50g Yellows were out but I think I might order a couple DFX 32g Yellows and mash them into a then empty 50g container and put it in the fridge... hoping it'll be close enough to factory as I can accept. Then I can cut those pieces out and if I did a decent job be close enough to match the rest I'm cutting.
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:09 pm

sounds good!
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Snickell on Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:10 am

Amazing! Much more organized than my attempt to organize my colors in Photoshop...
Snickell

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2014-07-08

http://www.FairytailFABA.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:57 pm

So I did put in my order last night but I did end up doing it a little differently than above... I bought 4 of the TAG full face rainbow sets that were now available. 1 set I'll keep as is but the other 3 sets basically give me 6 50g solid colors at $10 each instead of 11 or 12... Small savings yes... But that combined with making my own one-strokes and rainbow cakes and it's pretty good.
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:10 pm

All right, here's my order:

Paints, brushes, glitter, stencils.  Wish I had of swapped out one of those Full Face Rainbow Sets for one of the Neon one... I don't know what Neon colors look like so I didn't - wish I did now though.  Also feel like I went overkill on the White and Black for the amount I'd be painting and 32g would have been more than enough, but oh wellz, lol...

Hoping to have this order in my hands by Sunday so I can start cutting all those beautiful paints up... just hope my nerves can take it >_<
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:53 pm

lol, you're a face paint math whiz.  i hadn't heard of the rainbow set, good option.

you can always use the white and black to mix with other colors to make lighter and darker shades. or do a lot of white tigers, snow leopards, zebras, pandas, dalmations, skulls, cyborgs, etc. Razz. black & white rainbow?..probably not.
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:26 pm

Finally got my order!  Ended up costing me way more than I had planned... but here it is (there's 2 sheets of stencils there as well if the forum is cutting off the image).  I totally overbought on the 90g white and black... holy cow those are HUGE!  Lol...

I can't wait to start cutting these things up!  3 out of 4 of those TAG Rainbow sets will get cut up.  LOVE the look of the Carnival cake...

LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:15 pm

congrats! love that bright green in the rainbow set, that would look good in dinos, lizards, and snakes. also like the golden yellow. the stencil patterns look good, too. p.s. start practicing your black & white rainbow lol!
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:26 am

It's slow going... but I now have 4 one-strokes completed... Rose, Dolphin, Dragon, and Snake! Was going to start my Havana Sunset and 6 color Rainbow cakes but it's late... hah. I'm tempted to only do a 4 color Rainbow in the 50g because people have talked about how it can get muddy and the colors might mix to create the in-between colors but I haven't decided yet.
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:35 am

You'll be surprised how fast the 90 gm B & W go--you can never over-order basics!
anniel

Number of posts : 2313
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AmandaCS on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:16 pm

Beautiful stash! I'd be interested to see the one strokes you made and how they look on skin!
AmandaCS

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Once I get them all done (maybe today or later this week) I'll post another picture comparing what I bought and what I have now.
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by Facepainting by Tina on Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:54 pm

I did this exact same thing (though I didn't mock them up visually), I sat down and figured out all the 2 color splits I would need to order to make the one strokes I wanted. I spent close to $300 on paints and now own 48 one strokes and 32 rainbow cakes!!!!
Facepainting by Tina

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2012-09-12

http://www.tinassugarshack.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Facepainting by Tina on Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:11 pm

Here is what I ordered and what I ended up with lol. By the way, it was so scary but so much fun and I LOVE having so many color choices! You're gonna LOVE this and you'll be addicted to cutting up your paints!

Facepainting by Tina

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2012-09-12

http://www.tinassugarshack.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:19 pm

ooh, better than a candy store!
jlirie

Back to top Go down