Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Digital Mockup of Created Splits

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Digital Mockup of Created Splits

Post by jlirie on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:25 pm

4 color rainbow sample - you could slice off a thin layer of each color and put them next to each other, then swipe it and paint on your arm to see if you like it.

or, even easier, using a brush, paint 4 colors next to each other on a sponge, then swipe the sponge on your arm.
jlirie

Number of posts : 1799
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:45 pm

All right, I finished these awhile ago, but this is what I ended up with when I cut up the new cakes I bought from the above photo (a previously purchased rainbow one-stroke is also thrown in there) and I have about 2 50g cakes of random colors left so I can still create more.

Interesting process... took me way too long... but I wanted them to look good.  I had to make the pink in my "Havana Sunset" rip-off as I had run out of pink and boy was it was messy, lol... the ones I created I don't find to be any worse than the factory TAG cakes (as you can see in the Snowflake and Carnival cakes).
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:21 pm

nice job! you could moonlight for metina, making custom split cakes and one stroke cakes for the forum shop Smile
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:58 am

What a great visual and then you brought it to life!  

I have gone down the slice and dice road and found that, to me, it ends up being a royal pain in the butt.  It took way too much time and effort and I realized I would rather use my time and effort NOT slicing and dicing.  So much easier on my brain to just buy a pre-made cake.  

Granted, I work just about every weekend at a dino show, so I have to constantly keep up with my inventory.  It is a matter of convenience for my business. 

And I have said this on other threads here on the forum in the past;  you will probably one day discover that after spending waaaaaay too much money on all the colors that you fawn over and MUST have - in the end, so many of them go unused and end up getting Frankensteined into entirely different cakes anyway.  Less IS better.  Trust me - you may not see that now, but someday you will my grasshoppers.
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:00 pm

Lol Miss Ronnie. I totally get how less is better. What you see above is really all I have other than the white and black 90g, black starblend, and a 12 color essential palette, silver, gold, and blue metallic 10gs when it comes to paint. I have an issue with colors (color blind/stupid) so I'm trying to keep what I have to the basics for the most part, haha. But I would really like to have some more pearl/metallic cakes.
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by Niki Chennell on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:11 pm

Wow this is awesome! How did you digitally split them?? I'm such a visual person and this technique would work amazing for me.
Niki Chennell

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2014-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:17 pm

I used photoshop.  So I basically created an image using guides so each color/cake was locked into a specific size in the program.  Then I figured out what aspect ratio for cutting would work and based on the size of the overall image, most of the cuts to make one-stroke cakes were at a width of 15 or 20 pixels (15 being a one-stroke cake with 4 colors, and 20 being a cake with 3 colors).  Then I just moved that slice of the cake to the location I wanted to create that one-stroke.  And I continued on from there and realize this probably doesn't make any sense Razz

Here's a screenshot of what I started working with in photoshop w/ grids (you may need to view the the image if the forums isn't displaying the full image)

LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by Niki Chennell on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:28 pm

All i keep saying is wow. Lol. This is amazing. Now I wish I had photoshop. Thanks so much for all this info. I'm definitely going to play around with the color and see if it will work for me, and keep this thread handy for back up. Thanks again!!
Niki Chennell

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:34 pm

No problem! I just did this so that I could see if I had enough paint ordered to ensure I could make what I wanted as I had never cut up a thing of face paint before and I had also never saw or held in my hand a container of TAG face paint in 30 or 50g cakes before.
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:07 pm

math whiz strikes again Smile  so, old school, you could do this with pieces of colored paper, if you knew the dimensions of the colors in the cakes..which i do not.  littlemonsters?
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:35 pm

I didn't know either... I had to do a search on the internet to find a picture of a 30g and a 50g cake next to each other so I could see their relative sizes. At that point it didn't really matter what their exact demensions were (I can measure mine when I get home if you really want to know)
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by Niki Chennell on Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:03 pm

LittleMonsters wrote:I didn't know either... I had to do a search on the internet to find a picture of a 30g and a 50g cake next to each other so I could see their relative sizes.  At that point it didn't really matter what their exact demensions were (I can measure mine when I get home if you really want to know)

I'd be interested in knowing the size of yours and the size of the slices for the 1 strokes you made so I can figure out how much to buy of each color. If you dont mind. SmileSmile
Niki Chennell

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:02 pm

have you taken your split cakes for a test drive at all? any pics?
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:43 pm

I did one party the other week and I only got to use the tiger ones and the blue/light blue split. I have been contacted to do THREE parties this Saturday but nothing has been confirmed as of yet.
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:20 am

cool. get it in writing, lol

p.s. i am in an earlier time zone than this, 12:20 am here and lights out..
jlirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top