Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Amanda from LA! About to place an order after much deliberation!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Amanda from LA! About to place an order after much deliberation!

Post by AmandaCS on Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:59 am

LA as in Louisiana, though I sure wish it was L.A. Smile I have lived here for 7 years and I have the itch and am planning a move back out to California after the school year ends next year.

I am a 33 year old mom of three boys (9,9 and 5). I keep fish tanks and potted fruit trees. I have a couple of 2 year degrees I am not using.

When I was an older teen, I used to paint faces for all the neighborhood kids and also during parties for my much younger sister's school. I really enjoyed doing it. I paint our faces every Halloween, but I haven't been doing it on any large scale for many many years.

I did used to get a lot of compliments and I did go on to apprentice in a tattoo shop where I mostly did sketches and freehand temporary tattoos for tips. People were always impressed with my art. Do I still have it in me?

I think I do! I may not be cut out for a proper 9 to 5 but I love art and making people smile.

I am about to put my first order in to the site shop here. Here is what I have finally decided after spending 2 days researching the options:

the 12 color mini DFX palette
glitter poofer
a few brushes and sponges

I know, I know --- that's it? I just don't want to go overboard on spending until I just sample what there is out there. I have gone back and forth on what to buy over the last couple of days and it has been so difficult to decide on a brand. When I was a teen, I just used whatever I snagged during those amazing after Halloween sales! I was so proud of my stash. But now I want to start out with the best.

It came down to Tag, Wolfe or DFX and it seems the consensus was that they are all pretty comparable both for base and line work.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, I'd appreciate the input. I am really happy to be here and I would like to spend the rest of the year practicing and doing free events so that I can do this professionally one day. Thanks!

AmandaCS

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Amanda from LA! About to place an order after much deliberation!

Post by AmandaCS on Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:28 am

I was trying to see if I had any old photos of stuff I did and unfortunately it has just been too long.... until I remembered I had a little temp tattoo pic on my facebook I did for a friend of mine a couple years back. Ha! I only had three Sharpies to work with but I did my best. It's based on a painting that he liked. I can't wait to get some real tools and see what I have left in me.

AmandaCS

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:31 am

Welcome to the forum!  That order is basically similar to what I started with... but I went with DFX 12 Essential Colors Palette this contains 10g instead of 7g paints (price point is exactly the same so it's not cheaper to go one way or the other but you will run out of white and black faster with the mini which means you can't paint any more faces, lol.

This thread: http://www.facepaintforum.com/t16540-digital-mockup-of-created-splits contains my latest order (I'm small time) and my journey in creating my own split cakes, lol...

LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:40 am

Congratulations on diving back in! Rather than doing free events-- perhaps "pay per piece" type stuff while you gain confidence, experience & speed. You can cover your costs & increase your supplies. I think you made a good choice of paints--I have all three in my kit, and some Paradise.

Just an idea to tickle your imagination, the next few weeks are extra busy for Halloween--why not see if you could set up in a pumpkin patch near you?

anniel

Number of posts : 2281
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AmandaCS on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:04 pm

Thanks LittleMonsters and Anniel! Those are some great suggestions, when I get my little order in the mail later this week, I'll probably do some practice on myself and my three kids and then maybe do a craigslist ad for preschool or church parties and see what happens. I would definitely put out a tip jar even if I'm not charging a set rate and hopefully recoup some money and time that way. There are a lot of poor families in this area (another reason to move away) so I wouldn't necessarily expect too much here.

I am the room mom for one of my third grader's class this year and I have already put in a request to offer face painting during the Halloween party this year. I am not too sure it will be approved because this school has a policy against temporary tattoos of any kind, but I figured I would try anyway.

I do have a tax ID and a home based business license, but I'm not sure what else I would need to get to set up a table somewhere. Perhaps as long as it is donation/tip only I wouldn't have to worry about that just yet?

I appreciate the welcome, ladies! I am excited... my three kids are obsessed with minecraft so I am hoping I get the paints in time to make an entry for that Minecraft contest! <3

AmandaCS

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:54 pm

< not a lady... lol... but it's nice that you have three children to practice on! This will allow you to practice and gives you the opportunity to have pictures of your work to advertise with.

LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by AmandaCS on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:09 pm

Sorry, Little Monsters, how wrong of me to just assume everyone here is female. My sincere apologies. I figured the pic was your husband or boyfriend etc. So sorry. Gorgeous hair btw!

AmandaCS

Back to top Go down

Post by AmandaCS on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:35 pm

It appears that Mercury just went retrograde. I sure picked the perfect day to join an online forum! -_-

AmandaCS

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:41 pm

AmandaCS wrote:Sorry, Little Monsters, how wrong of me to just assume everyone here is female. My sincere apologies. I figured the pic was your husband or boyfriend etc. So sorry. Gorgeous hair btw!

Lol!  I'm a preschool teacher so I'm used to being lumped in with "ladies" haha (I don't actually take offence to that).  And my hair is all gone now... we cut it all off at work to be donated!  I miss it though Razz

LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by AmandaCS on Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:18 pm

I appreciate the understanding, thanks! And that is a cool job! My youngest is in Kindergarten this year.

My elder sister has grown out her dark thick hair several times and donated them to Locks of Love. It will grow back. Smile My hair is too fine a micron to be of much use for making wigs. Plus I always feel naked when I get too much cut off, but good on you for your donations, that is a lovely thing to do.

AmandaCS

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:01 pm

welcome amanda, sounds like you figured out a reasonable way to get back into face painting.  

any pallette will last quite a long time, giving you a chance to practice designs, do some beginning events, and decide what other colors, one strokes, powders, etc you can't live without.

nice temp tattoo. i'd ditch the sharpies, though, lol Wink

jlirie

Number of posts : 1731
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by AmandaCS on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:11 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm really stoked. Can't wait to start practicing on the kids when the paints arrive. They'll get a different design each evening. lol

AmandaCS

Back to top Go down

Post by dhiossa on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:00 am

Hope it goes well for you. I would love to know more your progress. I am trying to start back to this as well. I only have a teen at home and he will not let me paint him unless it is skulls and gory. I personally do not like gory. The creeper is as gory as I would like to get. But I like to see the talent it takes to create all types of art. I went nuts buying stuff. I am doing some festivals as fundraisers for our Sunday School but it helps to get pictures of my work. That is if I could take a decent picture that was not blurry or at least looked artistic.

dhiossa

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-10-20

http://dhiossa.wix.com/living-canvases

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top