Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Picky Clients and the best way to handle them

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Picky Clients and the best way to handle them

Post by JennVenn on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:45 am

I am just curious to hear who has ever worked for clients that have been super particular with all the details of you and your contracts? If so how did the event go after working with them?
I have a potential client who has called me at least four times in the past hour with specific things on my contract to revise( i.e. doesn't want a substitute in the event of an emergency, must come to her event even if weather is bad and this event is February in New York, make clause to get full refund etc.) She insists on paying full amount for gig upfront which isn't my policy. I receive full payment (minus deposit) at event. She also had me remove clause about being able to photograph artwork etc.
So all that to say has anyone dealt with difficult clients before and have you had good outcomes? Thank you so much. I am still pretty new to the face painting world and want to make sure I make knowledgeable decisions Shocked I tried to be as accomodating as I could.
JennVenn

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2013-11-02

http://www.ncfacepaint.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Picky Clients and the best way to handle them

Post by Forest-Fairy on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:00 pm

My contract is very clear on my bad weather policy. 

All events are "rain or shine". The PURCHASER is responsible to provide an alternate dry location, and adequate shelter from elements in the event of inclement weather. The PURCHASER agrees to pay the full amount contracted on the day of the event, even if the PROVIDER cannot perform due to inclement weather.
Makes sense because it is their event, and that is THEIR responsibility. 

I don't mention 'substitutions" for artists on my contract. it merely says they will get a professional artist. If something comes up and they didn't get exactly the person they wanted I say - sad day for you.

This is the only thing I have about a refund on my contract.

If the PROVIDER or the PURCHASER must cancel the engagement due to an Act of God, "Force Majeure", riot, strike, epidemic, or by the order of any public authority, this contract shall become null and void, all deposit and balance payments shall be refunded, and both parties shall have no further legal recourse against each other.

I couldn't think of any other reason why they would deserve a refund.
As for the photographs, there is nothing on my contract about that. I always ask the parent and the child if i can take a photo of the face paint. It's the parents call, NOT the event planners.

Honestly, I don't change my contract for anyone because i know it's all reasonable what i have written.

If you think something in your contract isn't reasonable then rewrite it so it is, but don't drop it all together over a picky client.

Honestly the moment a client starts to question my contract is when I start seeing red flags. 

Stand your ground. Trust me, you'll save yourself a lot of grief.
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by JennVenn on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:45 pm

Thank you Forest Fairy Smile I wanted to remove the portion about photographs in my contract anyway due to the fact I am usually too busy to even think to take pictures. You haven't had anyone question you about your weather policy and payment? Do you collect the full amount prior to the event? I see you are in Canada so snow is an issue for you too. I will reread through my contract tonight and make some revisions I think. Need to be better about sticking to my contract! It is only face paint right? lol! I am working on my business skills
JennVenn

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:51 pm

I had one person that I did change it for, I allowed them to cancel within 24hrs of the event in case of rain and re-book the next week for the same day and time.

Why did I do this?

It was a local neighborhood event literally 2 blocks away, and it was for a Thursday evening. lol

So VERY special circumstances. Never really get Thursday evening bookings and it wouldn't be a loss for travel lol.

Snow isn't really an issue in Vancouver. Just rain. I live in a temperate rain forest. This is what a hiking trail, i go to all the time, looks like in December.

one time there was snow! see!

Look how much there is! and during the day! lol

So yeah, on the west coast at least snow it pretty rare. And people freak out when it happens, it's pretty funny, because i actually grew up in Alberta where it looked like this for half the year.

Snow like that would shut down the city here, but in Alberta that's what's called "Tuesday".

but it's ok because it looks like this the other half of the year

:p

sorry for the novel. I just find it funny when some Americans think all of Canada is a frozen waste land. (not that you think that. But yeah it does snow some times).
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Facepainting by Tina on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:05 pm

I live in northeastern Ohio right on Lake Erie and August, September, and October are the only months I haven't seen snow! I live in a frozen waste land!! At least it feels that way by April!! hahah
Facepainting by Tina

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2012-09-12

http://www.tinassugarshack.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JennVenn on Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:56 pm

Forest Fairy you live in such a goregous place!! WOuld love to visit Canada.
Facepainting by Tina- What do you have as your weather policy for snow? Do you have a clause in your contract that spells this out for clients? Thank you so much.
JennVenn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:48 pm

I don't do weather dates... no one here cancels anything. If you did for weather nothing would ever happen.

I've never had an issue with my contract terms. The client must provide shelter from wind, rain, sun, snow, etc. Everything is indoors from September to May anyway.

I don't take out-of-town jobs during the winter as the driving conditions are so unpredictable.

If a client started to pick apart my terms like yours did I would just refuse the job. My terms are my terms because those are the conditions that I require in order to perform.

And we have had snow on the ground since the weekend, freezing rain last night and ice fog this morning... just in time for the snowsuits for trick or treating! What a Face

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:21 pm

I'm with those who say.... No to those who want to re-write contract. The only thing is, if they want to pay 100% in advance, that's fine with me.

I've had people refuse to sign a contract because of this or that.... and I have said, Ok- and when they said Oh- so when will you be there, I've said- oh I won't. You said you didn't want to sign my contract and I ONLY work with a contract in writing- so I figured you didn't want my services any longer. Some have cancelled others have signed.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JennVenn on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:10 pm

Thank you Shannon. Wow! Snow already?
I want to go over my contract and tweek it until it covers all the basis. Taking local jobs in winter makes sense.
Leapinlizards- yeah I don't mind the full payment just not my normal way I do business. I will try to stick to my contract once I feel it is reasonable and is self explanatory. Thank you.
JennVenn

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:31 pm

ice fog sounds pretty, just in time for all the frozen inspired elsa costumes Very Happy
jlirie

Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling on Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:41 pm

I'm with Shannon. My contract is MY contract. It's not to protect them. It's to cover MY butt. I wrote it to include all the contingencies I needed covered. And I don't change those conditions.
I do accept payment in full up front, if they desire, but I only require half to book, so it's not necessary. Some people like to pay ahead of time, so they don't have to scramble for cash when I'm trying to leave.
I am okay with that.
rthling

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top