Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Discouraged by other so call professional painters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Discouraged by other so call professional painters

Post by Pixiewood Creations on Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:22 am

Just needed to have a vent and gauge other peoples opinions. I am new to running my facepainting as a business but have been painting for friends and family for a good few years. As I was starting to get people I did not know ask me to paint for them I decided I needed to set things up properly. I have insurance and working with childrens checks and I only buy good paints from facepaint suppliers I do not buy from local cheapy shops etc. I have researched local health guidelines etc and as far as I can see I am complying with them quite well. My rates are a lower than the other local painters but that is because I feel that my work is not yet up to their standard so I cannot expect people to pay the same for me as they would for someone who has 10+ years of experience...obviously as I gain more experience I can up my prices accordingly. I think what has sparked it is on one of the local questions pages on facebook a lot of people have been referring me when people ask about painters so I don't know whether it is that they do not realize I have insurance etc or what. I always direct people to my facebook page when they are enquiring about booking so that they can see photos of my work. I have noticed one of the bigger more experienced businesses posting a lot recently about professional painters etc and why they cost what they do etc and wonder whether it is somehow directed to me or not but also my client today has another friend who is a facepainter who wasn't available for her party and apparently she told the lady not to hire me...I have heard of the other painter but have never met her so how can she make a judgement like that? Sorry if I am whining but it is really disheartening to hear this when I am putting so much into getting my business up and running and trying to do things the right way. I would also like to know if anyone can direct me to any online courses that I can look at to better my skills (I am self taught so there are some things that I still need to work on Smile...however people are always happy with my work).

I appreciate any suggestions or input on this topic.
Thanks
Joellen
Pixiewood Creations

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-09-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Discouraged by other so call professional painters

Post by DebbieB on Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:55 pm

There is really no way for us to know what the other painter's reason is for saying to not hire you:  she could have seen your work and is jealous or she knows your prices and thinks you are undercutting or she hates the thought of competition and is trying to turn people away from your business???(I have been there and done that).  The only way to know is find her one day and ask her.
As far as that post about "why hire a professional face painter", it is all over Facebook and I believe it is meant as a helpful tool for all of us, rather than pointing a finger at anyone.  
Lastly, if you are looking for online stuff, and if you have the extra funds, go to www.fabatv.com and sign up for their classes. It has different prices depending on if you want to pay month to month or a full year but there are over 150 hour long classes taught by some of the best face and body artists. OR go scroll through youtube and look at the designs. These are the pages that I subscribe to so go check em out. In no particular order:  
 Snazaroo

goldiestarling

lisajoyyoung

paintedparty

Silly Heather

Ashlea Henson

SophiesTipps

Jacana Face Paint

Cameron Garrett

Anita Lyn

Olga Meleca

RoxaRosa

FacePaintForum
DebbieB

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-09-09

http://www.debsdreamydesigns.wix.com/debs

Back to top Go down

Post by itty12 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:12 pm

Hi Pixiewood, I'm new also,( actually, you are further along than me,) don't let that comment get you down!
Just continue to gain your experience and your own clientele and your work will speak for its self.
Smile
My reasoning about pricing is the same as yours. In order to get the experience you have to get out there and work on real faces!
I watch a lot of the videos DebbieB suggested and FABA TV , I haven't subscribed yet, but they are all great.
Keep up the good work !

itty12

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2014-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:36 pm

What is your rate versus what is their rate? Charging 10-15% less per hour than competition with more experience is reasonable. A bigger margin than that isn't considering you're offering the same materials, insurance, and have a firm knowledge base.
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tashasbowtique on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:16 pm

I do not post my price on my Facebook page Wink
tashasbowtique

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2014-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat on Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:08 pm

It doesn't matter if it's advertised or not. In all reality, they probably weren't targeting the OPs business with their posts. However, most local painters are aware of each others pricing, and may they may have price shopped you without your knowledge.
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:42 pm

Ah, yeah... I'm totally not another face painter, I was just wondering what you would charge... per hour... for my... brother's... daughter's... friend's... bar mitzvah birthday... yeah that's it! Thanks!
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:33 pm

Also...
Maybe your work is MUCH better than you think it is.. and you are shooting yourself in the foot because you could be making much more money than you are charging.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by JennVenn on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:46 am

I am also new to the face painting world. I initially charged a lot less when I started because I wasn't really aware of what others charged around me. I thought I was charging enough until I read Shannon's form on determining what it costs to face paint and how much I am actually making after taxes, supplies, travel etc. and it was really nothing. You are learning now but it also important to charge what is fair too for your area. I agree with 10% or 15% less. Again you don't know why the other face painter responded the way she did. I agree with the suggestions on other painters and their videos is wonderful! I am figuring out how to work in a FABATV subscription for myself too!  Just keep improving and don't get discouraged. If this job is something that brings you joy and those that you paint then it is worth it in my opinion, and you get paid for it! Good luck and welcome Very Happy
JennVenn

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2013-11-02

http://www.ncfacepaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:27 am

Haters gonna hate Honey. You gotta grow a thick skin in this business or you'll never make it.
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixiewood Creations on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:04 pm

My rates were prob a little more than 15% lower but that was an intro offer and it is going up in the new year...to add to the scenario I was just mags by the same client that the other painter spoke to prior to booking and a second facepAinter has since mags here asking how much I charged etc. my client sent me a screenshot of her msg and my client spoke very highly of me to her. oMg I cannot believe someone would snoop like that I just sent her a message direct and told her my price and said I don't bite so feel free to ask me direct in future. It isn't going to stop me I love doing what I do but I would love to be on good terms with fellow painters hopefully they will lighten up a little eventually 😜
Pixiewood Creations

Back to top Go down

Post by nadinesdreams on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Everybody started off as a beginner! Just shake it off and keep doing what you do Very Happy
nadinesdreams

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2014-01-28

http://www.nadinesdreams.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixiewood Creations on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:26 pm

Thanks Nadinesdreams 😉
Pixiewood Creations

Back to top Go down

Post by Mehndi Masala on Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:05 am

Are you SURE the other painter said that? Some people love to create drama or exaggerate to make a point or just plain old misheard the comment. (ever play 'telephone'?) if it was indeed said....just let it roll. You will encounter unethical sales tactics everywhere and you gotta just 'do you'! You will find your niche and grow with it!
Mehndi Masala

Number of posts : 1314
Registration date : 2010-12-04

http://www.winnipeghenna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta on Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:30 pm

I think 10-15% less for a new painter as compared to a season pro is off.  I think in looking around at most new painters work it should be 35-50% depending on skill level.

As for your competition it's there. Nice or not.  I have local painters people here and in the industry rave about, but they do not know their at home work ethics.  Ignore them and find those you do groove with. You are creating a drama best avoided. Trust me.

If this is what you want to do then go do it and just be your best.  (tough love-thank me later!)
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 744
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top