Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

When Can I start painting people

View previous topic View next topic Go down

When Can I start painting people

Post by Glitter Kat on Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:45 am

Hello my name is Kathryn and I am glitter artist. After a year or two of reading forum posts, falling in love with one stroke cakes, seeing designs and wistfully watching the long lines at face painting booths, while my chair was empty, I have succumb to the sirens song that is face painting.

I have scoured the forum for must haves, bought books and I am practicing like crazy on me. My question is, when can I go out and start painting people? I have an opportunity for a street fair on Friday that will cost me nothing to go to but it will secure my spot going forward.

My plan is to have maybe 5-6 simple designs that I can do from memory like butterflies, crowns, skulls, sugar skulls, tiger, rainbow and then vary the colors with my one stroke cakes. I have glitter and jewels to help where my skill level may be lacking.

My goal is to start my portfolio and work on live people to improve my skills. My question to the forum is:

A) Is this a good idea to start out?

B) Should I charge or should I just state right up that I am learning and doing it for the experience/portfolio and put out a tip jar

This event is a start up at a local college so I think people would get the learning part.

I appreciate your thoughts.
Glitter Kat

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2011-11-08

Back to top Go down

Re: When Can I start painting people

Post by Kal on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:50 pm

Charge! If you're gonna do it, dive in head first and build from there. Hope the street fair goes great for you!
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters on Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:27 pm

I'd say just do it! If you're mainly looking for experience and to build your portfolio, offer to do a painting for free or half the price if you can also take a picture of you work to use as you move on Smile
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful on Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:46 pm

Charge and take pictures, don't let anyone know you're new, dive in and notice things you can work on.  Simple designs are better (sugar skull make take a while to execute).
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Glitter Kat on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:25 pm

Fortunately- I've done sugar skulls for the last few years so that's one I know I can nail. I'm figuring 1/2 or 1/4 faces not full ones.

Any other ones you might suggest?
Glitter Kat

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:46 pm

practice practice practice, and go for it. pick designs that don't have a lot of fussy little details, and avoid straight lines for starters!

it is much different painting on someone else than on yourself. you have to paint faster because kids will be waiting in line, kids can be wiggly, the wind will blow their hair into the paint, kids in line will crowd around you to watch and bump your table and you, etc.

someone wisely posted that full faces (or mostly full faces) are often easier to do than smaller designs, because you can use broad strokes to cover the face, and then add your accents.  

plus the full or mostly full face designs give that extra wow factor, because they are bigger, even if they are less detailed.
jlirie

Number of posts : 1803
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Glitter Kat on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:06 am

One good thing is that I've done glitter tattoos for three years so I know about the wiggly, impatient kids and crowd control. As for as design flaws that's why I stocked up on extra glitter and jewels to help add a little dazzle. When in doubt add another Rhinestone! cat
Glitter Kat

Back to top Go down

Post by Glitter Kat on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:07 am

Oh and thank you everyone for your words of support. I'll take photos and post.
Glitter Kat

Back to top Go down

Post by Glitter Kat on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:55 am

Well I did two gigs this weekend and my designs were OK not horrible but I definitely know know what I need to work on.  I sure got good reviews from the customers though.  I'm hooked and I love my split cakes!
Glitter Kat

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:17 pm

sounds good, and that's usually the case, you find out the designs you can do pretty well, and the ones you want to work on.

i've had the same experience, thought my work could use improvement but people thought it was great. we are our own worst critics Smile
jlirie

Number of posts : 1803
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Glitter Kat on Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:03 pm

Most important take away. Glitter and jewels can hide a lot of mistakes
Glitter Kat

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy on Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:01 pm

Sounds like you've made a great start! Glad things went well - and remember, most or all of us come away from a gig thinking about things we feel we could've done better, or differently. Smile

Congrats on your journey into professional face painting!

Kammy x
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top