Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Does Ben Nye play well with TAG and Wolfe?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Does Ben Nye play well with TAG and Wolfe?

Post by PaintFreak on Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:40 pm

I have a significant investment in Ben Nye makeup (Magicolor liquid paints, Aqua Glitters, Lumiere Brilliant and Lumiere Metallic powders) and I just bought a Ben Nye Magicake Aqua Paint Palette from my local theatrical costume shop.  I want to buy some TAG or Wolfe split cakes.  Do any of you know if Ben Nye is compatible with those brands?  Are Wolfe & TAG compatible with Mehron Fantasy FX?  I have many tubes of the Mehron--it's what I started out with and I'm loathe to throw away any supplies, even if they just sit nicely in my case looking pretty but getting no use, LOL.

Since I haven't seen much discussion of Ben Nye on this forum, I'm going to post the full ingredients lists for the products I use so maybe someone can help me determine compatibility before I buy the wrong thing:

Ben Nye Magicake Aqua Paint Palette
TALC, GLYCERIN, PEG-8, PERSEA GRATISSIMA (AVOCADO OIL), ALOE BARBADENSIS (ALOE VERA) GEL, PEG-75, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, LAURYL GLUCOSIDE, BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA BUTTER), PEG-100 STEARATE, GLYCERYL STEARATE, DIMETHICONOL/IPDI COPOLYMER, ZINC STEARATE, PVP, KAOLIN, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, PHENOXYETHANOL, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN, SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE, TRIETHANOLAMINE, MAY CONTAIN (+/-): CI NO. 77891, 77007, 77289, 77288, 19140, 42090, 77742, 45410, 15850, 47005, 15510, 73360, 77489, 77491, 77492, 77499 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE, ULTRAMARINES, CHROMIUM HYDROXIDE GREEN, CHROMIUM OXIDE GREEN, YELLOW 5, BLUE 1, MANGANESE VIOLET, RED 27, RED 6, RED 7, YELOW 10, ORANGE 4, RED 30, IRON OXIDES), PARFUM FREE.

Ben Nye Magicolor Airbrushable Liquid Paints
AQUA (WATER), ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, PEG-12, TALC, TRISODIUM HEDTA, PHENOXYETHANOL, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN, SIMETHICONE, MAY CONTAIN (+/-): CI NO. 77489, 77491, 77492, 77499, 77891, 77004, 15850, 73360, 77007, 77742, 19140, 77289, 45410, 42090, 77288 (IRON OXIDES, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, BENTONITE, RED 6, RED 7, RED 30, ULTRAMARINES, MANGANESE VIOLET, YELLOW 5, CHROMIUM HYDROXIDE GREEN, RED 27, BLUE 1, CHROMIUM OXIDE GREEN).

Ben Nye Aqua Glitter
AQUA (WATER), POLYETHYLENE TEREPHTHALATE, ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, POLYVINYL ALCOHOL, PVP, MAY CONTAIN (+/-) CI NO. 77000, 19140, 15850, 15880, 77510 (ALUMINUM, YELLOW 5, RED 7, RED 34, FERRIC FERROCYANIDE.

Ben Nye Lumiere Brilliants & Metallics Palettes
TALC, CI NO. 77019 (MICA), OCTYL PALMITATE, ZINC STEARATE, KAOLIN HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE, PALMITIC ACID, METHYLPARABEN, PHENOXYETHANOL, ETHYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, MAY CONTAIN (+/-): CI NO. 77489, 77491, 77492, 77499, 77891, 16035, 77742, 42090, 19140:1, 77510, (IRON OXIDES, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, BLUE 1 LAKE, RED 40 LAKE, MANGANESE VIOLET, YELLOW 5 LAKE, FERRIC FERROCYANIDE), PARFUM FREE.

Mehron Fantasy FX Makeup
WATER, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, ISOPROPYL LANOLATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL DICOCOATE, STEARIC ACID, MAGNESIUM, ALIMINUM SILICATE, MINERAL OIL, BHT, DIAZOLINDYNL UREA, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN.  MAY CONTAIN TALC, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, IRON OXIDES, ULTRAMARINE BLUE, ULTRAMARINE PINK, CHROMIUM OXIDE GREEN, D&C RED #6 BARIUM LAKE, FD&C YELLOW #5, D&C RED #7, CALCIUM LAKE.

Wow, now I have a headache from typing all that out.  If you've made it this far without needing meds, I commend you.  Smile  

I just realized I could print this up on a sheet and keep it handy for any concerned parents, or give it out to event coordinators who may ask for an ingredients list, along with my proof of insurance.

For future reference, is there a website(s) that has face painting/cosmetic ingredients already listed?  Cut and paste would have been nice.  I went to Ben Nye’s website and also did several searches on Google by the specific product name, but couldn’t find a thing.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!
PaintFreak

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2014-10-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Does Ben Nye play well with TAG and Wolfe?

Post by Niki Chennell on Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:48 pm

I use mostly Ben Nye and Mehron Paradise AQ and haven't had any reaction yet but you never know. I use it on my kids who are pretty sensitive. Although I do want to add that the Ben Nye colors will stain the skin.
As far as compatibility, I haven't used TAG but I do have 3 Wolfe colors and didn't have an issue when I laid down a white base with Ben Nye and did line work with Wolfe.
The ingredients, you did an excellent job writing them, I would copy and paste from your post. Smile
Niki Chennell

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2014-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:51 pm

Dear PaintFreak:
I have used Ben Nye in my palette for years, alongside MAC, Wolfe, TAG, Diamond F/X, Snazaroo, Kryolan Aquacolor, and, most recently, Cameleon and Global.

You can find something called MSDS, which are Material Safety and Data Sheets for each product brand. I print out the MSDS and keep them in a plastic protector sheet, to show to any parents who are concerned about ingredients.

Where are you from? If you post your location on your Profile, above, it will be easier for your local face painters to invite you to jams.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3333
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Niki Chennell on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:26 pm

fesspenter wrote:Dear PaintFreak:
I have used Ben Nye in my palette for years, alongside MAC, Wolfe, TAG, Diamond F/X, Snazaroo, Kryolan Aquacolor, and, most recently, Cameleon and Global.  

You can find something called MSDS, which are Material Safety and Data Sheets for each product brand.  I print out the MSDS and keep them in a plastic protector sheet, to show to any parents who are concerned about ingredients.

Where are you from?  If you post your location on your Profile, above, it will be easier for your local face painters to invite you to jams.

Happy Painting!

I never knew about the MSDS. That's awesome! Makes things easier.
Niki Chennell

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2014-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by PaintFreak on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:17 pm

Thanks for the tip on MSDS fesspenter. Do you know where I can find the MSDS online?
PaintFreak

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:28 pm

Dear PaintFreak:
Google each paint brand and MSDS,
i.e. Wolfe MSDS
Ben Nye MSDS
and you should find each one online.
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3333
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:49 pm

i think what you are really asking is if you can use the different brands together in the same design and have them blend, cover the other brand opaquely, have the colors be complementary, dry and wear well, etc?

as far as ingredients, there are several suppliers who have posted msds and/or ingredient info for a number of different brands of face paint on their sites, you should come across then when you search.

jlirie

Number of posts : 1802
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by PaintFreak on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:30 am

Fesspenter, I tried updating my profile yesterday to include my city, but it didn't seem to take. I'm going to try again after I post this reply.

Jlirie, yes I wanted to know if the different paints could be used in the same design. I think I'm kinda committed now though, because I just placed an order thru the store link. Everything is supposed to arrive tomorrow--whoo hoo!
PaintFreak

Back to top Go down

Post by PaintFreak on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:41 am

Yay, my profile updated!

Jlirie & Fesspenter I forgot to thank you for the MSDS search tips.  I did a quickie search on my phone & lots of good stuff came up, so I'll print that out when I get home. I'm out buying sponges and returning brushes right now.  Very Happy
PaintFreak

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal on Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:29 pm

Once I graduated from that horrible walmart paint I moved up to Fantasy FX. I still use it in conjuction with my snazaroo, paradise, and FAB and I will definitely use them together in the same design. While Fantasy FX has become my least favorite I see no sense in throwing it away.
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:30 am

Ben Nye SUCKS. Well their face paint anyway. Expensive crap that is basically mehron imo.

I don't even by the airbrush colors anymore because they lack any staying power.

My advice is don't waste your money.
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top