Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Made my own split cakes! First time

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Made my own split cakes! First time

Post by melissah1982 on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:51 pm

So, a few months ago, I decided to buy some new paints to try.  I really didn't want to spend too much money so ended up buying the little refillable Paradise things in red, Green, and yellow.  I thought since I have only ever used Wolff, it would be best to try the little ones so if I didn't like paradise, i wouldn't have too much of it.  So I practiced with them and all...I find the colors come out a little too light for my taste.  So they sat unused for a while.

Tonight, I was practicing my cheek art designs and decided to play around with making a split cake.  I have been DYING to buy new paints but I really can't afford it now.  So to hold me over, I made these, hoping I can use them for practice.  All I had was a pair a scissors to cut them with...not the most convenient I know.  But I only plan on using them myself.  Once I get the money to buy all the Diamond FX colors, I want, I plan on investing in a good exacto knife, gloves, and all that.  

" />

1.  They are too small/messy for the 3/4 brush, so I may need to get a smaller brush for them.

2.  The colors really don't show that well.  I really thought I would like Paradise, but the green/yellow mix doesn't come out the way I hoped for a dragon or a snake.

3.  I used some wolff white I had for the red/white/green combo.  Once I got the hang of the red/white rose, I was pretty proud of myself.  Again, I need a smaller flat brush for it.

4.  It was addicting and fun!  I have 6 DFX colors sitting untouched (the start of my professional kit) and I am really holding out for a few more so I can really make some cool splits...however, Don't know how long I will last, lol
melissah1982

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2014-10-11

http://www.melissasfaceart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Made my own split cakes! First time

Post by jlirie on Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:01 pm

and so it begins, lol..
jlirie

Number of posts : 1792
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by melissah1982 on Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:10 pm

I know! It's like something goes off in your brain and you wonder what else you can do next, lol What a dangerous addiction! Twisted Evil
melissah1982

Back to top Go down

Post by melissah1982 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:12 am

So I woke up this morning and decided to play with my paints.  I pulled out some old cheap craft brushes I bought for face painting (before I realized I had to buy the good stuff) but I had smaller flat brushes to play with.  Here is what I came up with.

The colors seem a lot better than they did last night.  I guess I had to give them some time to get to know one another  Very Happy

" />

" />

I swear my baseball is fully round! lol It just didn't want to get it's picture taken Razz
melissah1982

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie on Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:17 pm

nice bright colors, the snake is cute, and the baseball is deformed because it's traveling at mach 1 and some law of physics kicks in.. Razz great flames, btw.
jlirie

Number of posts : 1792
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by melissah1982 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:08 pm

I definitely need to work more with the roses but I was really happy with how the flames worked out. I feel like I made some real progress today. Thanks!
melissah1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top